A&R executive Steve Lunt reveals that JIVE didn't want Toxic on In the Zone

6 minutes ago, MoodRing3 said:

Breathe On Me should have been the 4rd single….but to everything else i agree completely. 

3rd or 4th it doesn't matter, but it should have been a single, but I think "Everytime" feels more like final single from the album. "Breathe on me " would flow better after "Toxic"

Edited by MIKE_INT
  • Love 1
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, PokerCount said:

Source? Steve is a bit of a loose cannon with information and is a bit random with engaging/disengaging with fans he randomly throws tea somewhere then won’t answer any queries about it 

The original doll podcast

• Haha 1

It’s crazy to me how her label didn’t trust her, her ideas and her vision 100%. She should have been able to release the singles she wanted and have the track list she wanted every single time without having it double checked by executives who are not artists and do not understand what her public really wants.

Before the release of  ITZ she already sold 50 millions records worldwide and was one of the biggest popstar that ever existed. It’s more than enough to let her have full control.

• Love 3
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, MIKE_INT said:

They wanted Britney go the expected "urban-pop" way with Outrageous and Boom Boom

but Britney was inspired by Eelectro-pop European music scene.

Thankfully we got Toxic, it is just pity Breathe On Me was not 3rd single

Boom boom aged so badly, it’s crazy at one point I was obsessed with that song 

31 minutes ago, 3IsACharm33 said:

Boom boom aged so badly, it’s crazy at one point I was obsessed with that song 

Yeah I actually thought the same when I listen to it the other day. Boom Boom (also I never like the YingYang twins feature, so annoying and too repetitive) and Outrageous aged the worst for me

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MIKE_INT said:

"Breathe on me" definitely wouldnt flop

Told You Please GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Yes it would’ve. No one was there for BOM in 2004 especially not from Britney. People wanted Dance and Pop Britney. Don’t Let Me Be The Last To Know flopped because of what I’m saying. Everytime only found success because of the Justin scandal. They’re great songs but they’re album songs. You think it would’ve been a hit because you are a stan, but the GP would not have paid attention. Why do you think after all the years performing it at POM and the televised performances it made no moves? Same with Touch of my Hand. I know that’s your pick for 5th single too. Chileeee

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Yes it would’ve. No one was there for BOM in 2004 especially not from Britney. People wanted Dance and Pop Britney. Don’t Let Me Be The Last To Know flopped because of what I’m saying. Everytime only found success because of the Justin scandal. They’re great songs but they’re album songs. You think it would’ve been a hit because you are a stan, but the GP would not have paid attention. Why do you think after all the years performing it at POM and the televised performances it made no moves? Same with Touch of my Hand. I know that’s your pick for 5th single too. Chileeee

If you are putting "Breathe On Me" into same category as "Dont Let Me Be The Last To Know" then the discussion probably finish here and we can agree to disagree ;)

"Breathe On Me" is literally electro-pop with ambient techno and trip-hop elements and it would be hit outside of US easily and with right video and promotion also in US

and no I wouldn't u choose "TOMH" as 5th single, I wouldn't choose it as single at all in fact.

Oprah Winfrey Concert GIF by CBSMeryl Streep GIF by PeacockTV

• Love 1
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I see this differently - BOM is one off her most streamed non-singles and with the right MV it had potential to become a hit and also show that she was ahead of her time….

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, MoodRing3 said:

I see this differently - BOM is one off her most streamed non-singles and with the right MV it had potential to become a hit and also show that she was ahead of her time….

No one cared she was ahead of her time. She wasn’t respected for her artistry. The Hook Up would’ve hands down outpeaked Breathe On Me and I will die on that hill 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, MIKE_INT said:

If you are putting "Breathe On Me" into same category as "Dont Let Me Be The Last To Know" then the discussion probably finish here and we can agree to disagree ;)

"Breathe On Me" is literally electro-pop with ambient techno and trip-hop elements and it would be hit outside of US easily and with right video and promotion also in US

and no I wouldn't u choose "TOMH" as 5th single, I wouldn't choose it as single at all in fact.

Oprah Winfrey Concert GIF by CBSMeryl Streep GIF by PeacockTV

They’re both slow songs doesn’t matter if one is electro pop and the other isn’t. We are talking about the same GP that made Toxic a #9 hit. You think BOM had any chance? Outside the U.S. sure, but the U.S. is the market that matters for Britney first and foremost let’s not get it twisted 

27 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

They’re both slow songs doesn’t matter if one is electro pop and the other isn’t. We are talking about the same GP that made Toxic a #9 hit. You think BOM had any chance? Outside the U.S. sure, but the U.S. is the market that matters for Britney first and foremost let’s not get it twisted 

Britney's singles were blacklisted from normal radio rotation in that time (started with Slave 4 U) so any BBH100 position that time is not relevant reflection of the success of the song.

Also I clearly differentiated US and non-US market in one of my previous posts, so as you said dont get it twisted LOL

and again I have to copy what I wrote in my previous post If you are putting "Breathe On Me" into same category as "Dont Let Me Be The Last To Know" then the discussion probably finish here and we can agree to disagree :)

Edited by MIKE_INT
32 minutes ago, MIKE_INT said:

Britney's singles were blacklisted from normal radio rotation in that time (started with Slave 4 U) so any BBH100 position that time is not relevant reflection of the success of the song.

Also I clearly differentiated US and non-US market in one of my previous posts, so as you said dont get it twisted LOL

and again I have to copy what I wrote in my previous post If you are putting "Breathe On Me" into same category as "Dont Let Me Be The Last To Know" then the discussion probably finish here and we can agree to disagree :)

I was going to let you win your argument cause clearly we are going in circles here and yes I know about the radio ban. I’ve been a fan since the beginning and experienced the trends and public reactions hence where my opinion stems from. There was no radio ban when Toxic hit the radio and it still peaked at 9 when it should’ve been a #1 hit. Anyways have a great weekend! 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block