Do you agree with this comment about the book?

Yesterday I read a comment on twitter I think and it stuck with me (didn't bookmark) They said that the book was actually a wasted opportunity to actually discuss the time of the conservatorship and everything they put her through in details (her human rights being taken away for example) and instead she chose to talk about JT and Kevin etc.... making the whole ordeal seem "superficial"

Obviously there are legalities which she can´t discuss.. and the media played a huge role by fixating on the Justin parts.. But to a certain degree I kind of agree? :howiroll_beyonce_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_white_shirt_hands:  I think that a shift definitely happened in how seriously the gp is taking the whole thing.

Thoughts? Discuss :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

Edited by LaLohan
  • Like 3

No. Look. Simon & Schusters themselves leaked the excerpts (for people magazine to publish it) that would catch the gp's attention (JT, the abo-r--tion, etc). It was a strategy to get attention I believe. And there is far more content than JT and B's situation there in the book. I agree there are legal details that wouldn't be favourable for Britney to discuss. And maybe some other details she would be far more embarassed to share. It was already hard for Brit to talk about everything that happened to her. And somehow I'm surprised she even got to write it after all and decided to publish it.

Edited by Fita
  • Love 6
  • Like 2

that people only focus on that, is not her fault

I don't even think she talked about Kevin that much. I think she even talked more about Collin Farrell, which I found so surprising because I don't think she had ever acknowledged that, and it was the last thing I expected her to weigh in.

Regarding the conservatorship, I think it's a mixture of things. First, it was too many years, so as Britney says, it might be a bit of a blur to remember every single detail of the 13 years. Besides, there must be things she didn't want to tell out of embarrassment, she's said before she doesn't like to paint herself as a victim, so it might be weird for her to write all the humiliations and punishments she received in those years. Plus, if it was the same over and over, it wouldn't make sense to just repeat every time her father called her out because of her weight or how many times they prohibited to buy things.

And there's also the fact that we tend to remember in more detail things from our youth and childhood more than recent events in our lives.

Maybe for her the conservatorship years were just her in autopilot, and there aren't many relevant things that stuck in her mind, up until the point where she was sent to the mental facility, which clearly is the thing that disturbed and hurt her the most of the entire 13 years.

• Love 2
  • Like 7

I think the proportion was good enough. The book was about Britney, the true behind the scenes story from her side, not about the cship.

My opinion or thought about the book is that the book is still a tip of a gigantic iceberg and that we still cannot say that we 'know' her life. And personally, I kinda felt stressed and depressed reading the parts of the abuse. I was kinda glad that it was not extremely focused on only the cship.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

I think the proportion was good enough. The book was about Britney, the true behind the scenes story from her side, not about the cship.

My opinion or thought about the book is that the book is still a tip of a gigantic iceberg and that we still cannot say that we 'know' her life. And personally, I kinda felt stressed and depressed reading the parts of the abuse. I was kinda glad that it was not extremely focused on only the cship.

As a fan, yeah sure, we want to know those details…but ultimately it’s her book and what she wishes to discuss should be respected.  She never marketed the book as a memoir of her conservatorship, it was a memoir about her life.  And in the grand scheme of things, the conservatorship is just a fragment of her life.  The trauma she endured after her breakups with Justin and Kevin were huge and explain a lot of why she behaved the way she did after them.  I think it’s important for the world to realize they weren’t just breakups for her, they were severe losses that carried immense weight on her mentality.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Maybe she might be holding back details for maybe another deal she could make? She made a lot of money doing the book and only told so much, but now she can do somerthing like Oprah and say even more stuff she didn't say in the book, so it's like she can double dip on the details and make more money? I would hope that's it. Cause imagine if she just put out one big book with all the details and then that's it, it's just a one time money maker, the end. 

• Love 1

She did not mention Kevin that much and the times Justin was mentioned, it was kinda spaced out between chapters. That said, those were probably two of the most important relationships in her life and we've never been able to get her take on how she felt until now, so why would she gloss over them? It seems some people forget that Britney's lived two lives; one before the c-ship and one during it. 

If she had discussed more details about it, then we would've gotten a Barbra Streisand sized book, and we all know the GP has the attention span of a goldfish. I think there were a few areas she could've elaborated a bit on, but overall, it's a really solid book. As someone mentioned above, the book was very depressing and it was only 300 pages! I can't imagine how I'd feel mentally (or Britney for that matter) had it been more than that. 

• Love 4
  • Like 2

I kinda agree.

The book wasted too much on her peak years and Louisiana childhood. The c-ship years were extremely superficial in the book, the end of the book feels rushed.

Maybe that's why name drop Lou didn't make a big difference, the focus wasn't there. 

I understand a memoir is about the whole life basically, but the book was the opportunity of her talking for real and... it didnt happen.

Most of if feels like Wikipedia research of her Gold years + tabloid rumors and her IG captions  (for free) were way more revealing.

And yes,  the Justin Timberlake whole relationship thing ended up being the main story of the book. The man is almost as protagonist as she is for her own story.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block