Pop music is so boring

I was listening to “pop rising” playlist on Spotify yesterday and was horrified.  The quality of music has devolved exponentially.  Olivio Rodríguez’s hunger games song came on and I nearly threw my phone out the window.  The biggest movie of the holiday season and they couldn’t afford a more high profile singer?  I thought her career was over.  I guess Taylor was busy. 

• Haha 2

It’s not just pop. Lil Yachty even said how hip-hop is currently in a terrible place. Regardless, pop music has mostly been dead since 2012. 2018-20 had a nice little resurgence with the rise of Ariana and Billie but since then, it’s mostly been bland. 

Edited by BadBunny
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Pattycakes said:

I was listening to “pop rising” playlist on Spotify yesterday and was horrified.  The quality of music has devolved exponentially.  Olivio Rodríguez’s hunger games song came on and I nearly threw my phone out the window.  The biggest movie of the holiday season and they couldn’t afford a more high profile singer?  I thought her career was over.  I guess Taylor was busy. 

With the exception of 2018-20, the quality of pop music has been in steady declination since 2012. Just look at some of the biggest pop songs from 2013-17. They were also a big steaming pile of uninspired garbage. :trash_throw_away_recycle: 

• Love 1

If there were vital presences doing exceptional things, consumers would have to compare themselves unfavourably to their stars, so what we get instead are boring no-marks who give us permission to be similarly basic. It's the age of relatable mediocrity. People want to see themselves reflected in the culture, and most people are just unremarkable. It's the age of relatable mediocrity. Agree it's totally uninspiring.

18 hours ago, princessmimi said:

Agree and ironically I checked out of mainstream pop music in 2016 when Glory was released.

To me, 2016 was the LAST interesting year for pop music because so many great albums came out that year including Britney's.

That was also the last great VMAs show in my opinion.

Mainstream music isn't exciting and fun anymore, its boring!

There was something in the water and air that year because it truly was an amazing year. For myself as well but Britney was totally back again and like you said Lemonade had just come out. Everything was top tier. 

• Love 1

While I do miss Britney, I’ve come to terms with the fact that she’s currently in retirement. I just enjoy her legacy now. She’s given us 9 studio albums, 8 compilation albums,  3 EPs, 50 singles, etc. Also there are like 50 unreleased tracks that have leaked over the years which is worth about 3-4 additional albums in itself. There are music videos, live performances, tours, commercials, perfumes, merchandise, etc. While I do miss her being active in her career, it’s kinda fun to look back and enjoy all the content she has given us! Shout out to @CJMCH for uploading amazing quality content on their YouTube channel! :) 

Also, You should check out Kylie Minogue’s latest album, Tension. It is fabulous from start to finish! :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy: I’ve actually gotten super into Kylie recently and her catalog is very amazing and similar to Britney! 

• Love 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block