Picked Up The Book Today; Just Finished It: Review

I wanted to provide my review and I completely mean this all in a very sincere and honest way. I know several people feel some kind of way about me but I wanted to share my fresh genuine take on the book.

The book took me about 2.5hrs to read from start to finish (no break).

I am extremely proud of Britney for taking on this project and I hope that it is therapeutic and brings peace to her, as well as accomplishment.

Obviously the younger year scenarios were the most "tea" being spilled. The biggest thing revealed in the book was the abor**on. 

The book does not go into much detail about the conservatorship or post conservatorship. She briefly will mention a few things but it isn't much. The overall sense is she was deprived from her life without getting truly in full detail (besides here and there). 

Sam/Hesam is almost obsolete from her book. I was hoping to have more of a glimpse into the dynamic of their relationship during and post c-ship. I would have love to hear more about their love journey especially in such dire situations. Of course now they are divorcing, you feel his existence is missing from it plus why they divorced (which I know the media said it was too late to edit the book). The book needed more of their 6yr relationship. 

I know the category of her children is a sensitive topic but I was hoping for more insight into the ups and downs in their relationship during the c-ship. Nothing is mentioned as to why things are the way they are currently. I understand she doesn't have to but it is a tell-all.

While I know it's difficult, I wanted to hear more about the really crappy mistreatment she dealt with at the hands of her father and team to highlight even more (which she did a good job of) of what a giant P O S he and that "team" were. The world deserves to have the RAW truth about how disgusting him, Lou, Robin, Lynn, the courts etc. 

I wonder what was cut from the book? The world may never know.

She truly was self sabotaging herself and her own image out of retaliation. She wore those awful wigs, dancing was subpar and robotic - on purpose as rebellion (and the heavy meds) to protest against those disgusting people. For years so many people saying, she can't dance anymore, she's a zombie etc. She gave up/rebelled!!!

I loved hearing about her recording Hold Me Closer. It makes me know it wasn't an old song used from long ago. 

I was hoping for some reason to hear about her nose jobs (don't ask me why)????

Sam Lutfi was never mentioned (assuming due to lawsuit). Nor was David Lucado.

I love that nurse wherever she is and whoever she is. Gave our girl a fighting hope even in the smallest way.

She is going to be #1/NYT Best Selling Author - no doubt. 

There were several parts (c-ship) that I yelled aloud about "How could that be allowed to happen/how was this ok/how did no one do a damn thing?" It sickens me that her rights were stolen from her for years and nothing a MF thing was done by ANYONE!!! The hundreds if not thousands of people who were around her for 13 years - no one did anything to help this human being! It enrages me (I can only imagine her anger).

I think the book needed to go deeper. As a whole it was good, but I believe it should have gone even one layer deeper than it did. There is definitely a feeling that a lot was left unsaid.

I would give the book a solid B (no pun intended).

I can see her doing another book down the long road. I know she hinted at that but we can't take everything on IG at face value.

Congrats Britney - and I wish you nothing but continued success and happiness. You deserve the world and more baby girl!

Edited by Seanril
  • Love 5
  • Like 4
11 minutes ago, Louis-j said:

Remember the rumor that said the book was a soft version of the original draft and that a lot was cut off ?

It must be. I feel the same as @Seanril. All the points he mentioned are legitimate. 

The book left a lot of stones unturned and was (respectfully) rather superficial on several occasions.

In all honesty we were all aware it was going to deliver a lot less than what we had hoped for. 280 pages for one of the biggest celebrities in the world is simply a joke. :sickofu_britney_blinking_umm_wtf_confused_annoyed:

Edited by Propagandalf
  • Love 3

I respectfully disagree

this is her first book ever, the first time she’s been able to speak about anything at all in her own terms. Especially since she highlights how awful interviews were for her too. I think she kept certain things brief because she went from start to now. That’s 40 years of life and career. Of course some things would be condensed. 

I think she did a great job. I had a feeling she wouldn’t go into detail about her relationship w her kids because that is so sacred to her. I think she vents on Instagram about them in heat of the moment and out of desperation if they won’t talk to her but not in her book. 

I did want to hear about David lucado LOL he’s the one ex she didn’t mention. And some things in her career like working with Iggy and Giorgio Morodor I was curious about… but honestly overall it was exactly what I hoped, what I wanted and I am super proud to be a fan right now! 

• Love 4
  • Like 3

Uh I don’t agree. I think enough was said in the book. If she wanted to say more she would but she touched on almost everything, some things she obviously wants to remain private or isn’t bothered to talk about. I think there was a good chunk few chapters how abusive the conservatorship was and mentioned all the abusers. What else was there needed to be said? She said they were disgusting, abusive and making money off her. Did you want her to go on a big rant?  She said what needed to be said in the most classy professional way without looking bitter. 

• Love 3

I haven’t even read the book yet, but I know for sure it was watered down. The fact that the Vegas basketball incident is in there is proof that they were still ******* with the book up until the end of summer. They revealed all the tea before the book came out.  So, yeah I believe they did water it down because everyone got nervous 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I’m sure there’ll be a part 2. I know she didn’t go in on her kids because she wants reconciliation like any mother, and doesn’t want her current issues w them printed in one of the most famous book in history for all eternity. I was hoping for more insight on albums from con because I at times wonder if she even knows the songs on circus femme and bj. I also was intrigued to see if she’d confirm what Courtney love said, but that’s also nobody’s business but Britney’s. 

• Love 1

I feel it was really deep it terms of what the conservatorship was about and the extent of it. The thing is a lot of things we already knew from the documentaries, but i’m glad britney confirmed it. Also it’s shocking to know she found out AFTER the cship ended they were monitoring her cellphones and they had a bug inside her house, how creepy. Anyway the way she describes that period of time is really touching, people claiming it was superficial are dumb tbh

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kyky said:

I haven’t even read the book yet, but I know for sure it was watered down. The fact that the Vegas basketball incident is in there is proof that they were still ******* with the book up until the end of summer. They revealed all the tea before the book came out.  So, yeah I believe they did water it down because everyone got nervous 

Then read the book.

• Love 1

I find it hard to believe that people have issues with the book, but I'm not surprised at this point; once again, the same people who blame Britney for not meeting their expectations are the ones with issues.

Ultimately, when you live your life in the spotlight, people are going to know the headlines, and Britney, having a 25 year career, isn't an exception to that and thats without everything else beyond her celebrity ststus. we know the major events, the headlines and what others did and said. However, we never knew what Britney herself felt like, thought or wanted to say. This is the books purpose...

The book is compact with her views and experiences, and is very clear and concise in its statements. Its candid and conversational, she doesn't attack, but she is very reflective, on herself and others. She doesn't paint herself as some eternal victim, and does the opposite; she lays her past out honestly.

I get that people may have wanted her to talk about the indepth details of each album, but this is less about the work, and more about her. Why doesn't she talk about BJ? Because she's talking about her attitude towards having no creative outlet and how she dealt with it around that time, and that is only one example. Why would she detail working on album when she made it clear she wasn't interested in it,  Particularly when she's so proud of the work she did on BOMT, Blackout and Glory? 

When it comes to the conservatorship, why would she detail the legal details when she was kept in the dark on all of her rights, and couldn't freely access information? She details her experiences, how she felt and how those around her made her feel. I mean. That's what i wanted to hear. 

There's a sense that people wanted a level of sadism to her story and that's wrong, I mean she literally talks about being institutionalised twice, and being expected to go back to work the next day like nothing happened. This isnt fiction, its her literal life.

I'm so proud of her, and this book.

• Love 1

I am so shocked that everyone is eating this book up. Why are so many details taken from other articles written about Britney? Why is her recollection of events always lining up with details from famous unauthorized articles? Like, do you really think something Christina said in a Rolling Stone interview in 2003 is really top of mind? Do you think that she remembers what movie she was watching 20+ years ago before getting married in Vegas?

If you read The 2008 Britney article from Rolling Stone, so much of it lines up with what she's saying in the book, but in a way that makes it seem like the ghostwriter wrote it for her based on researching what other people have said about her. Britney on instagram is at odds with the Britney presented in the book. I tend to believe the instagram version is the real her at the moment, and that's fine! But I struggle to see how a book report, written by someone else with her name on it, is supposed to help anyone heal. It's not empowering and instead completely disregards Britney's real experience. I think the people saying that this book is good are lying to themselves and had their minds made up before they cracked the spine. 

In 5 years I think this book will be looked at as another example of Britney being exploited as a complete cash grab. If Britney Jean is hated because someone else was singing on it, and they released it because they had a deadline to meet then how is this book any different? Written by someone else, pushed out without any interviews or press because she's not ready to speak for herself... 

I am not a Britney truther like a lot of the crazies on TikTok but how can people not see that she's being exploited in this regard. Being forced to stand behind a story that all evidence shows she wasn't ready to tell. We all know the quality that Britney can put in as an artist, as a writer. She's written great poetry and even some profound instagram captions. This book has none of that voice, that artistry!! Sorry I am rambling, but it's blowing my mind how people who say they're big Britney fans can't see through how fake this all is...

Edited by Cameltoe123
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, 3IsACharm33 said:

I loved hearing the blackout recording process it was so bad ***

and mostly all stolen from this podcast of original reporting, right down to the detail about the baby swing in the studio 

WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Hear our '500 Greatest Albums' podcast deep dive into Britney Spears' 'Blackout,' featuring new interviews with her collaborators.

All of "Britney's" memories seem to be taken from other sources, and isn't that part of the problem? That so many people have told her story for her? Not to mention the timeline of the blackout recording in the book is completely off - most of Blackout was recorded before Jayden was born, she recorded Gimme More while pregnant. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kyky said:

I was surprised by that too. It's a very valid point. I was hoping for more insight of what's happening now because it's an interesting concept when a book comes out and a major life event is happening simultaneously, that isn't mentioned.

1 hour ago, Oxic said:

I feel it was really deep it terms of what the conservatorship was about and the extent of it. The thing is a lot of things we already knew from the documentaries, but i’m glad britney confirmed it. Also it’s shocking to know she found out AFTER the cship ended they were monitoring her cellphones and they had a bug inside her house, how creepy. Anyway the way she describes that period of time is really touching, people claiming it was superficial are dumb tbh

It truly is absolutely touching. I just think it could have gone another layer deeper. I am so proud and happy for her.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block