Why the single “I’m Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman” didn’t chart in the Billboard Hot 100 (back in 2002)

This is one of those things that I would never understand. This single is amazing and had very good promotion and performances back in 2002 (before and after the movie ‘Crossroads’ was originally released worldwide). I know that Britney had an issue with her touring promoters and Jive Records. For those who don't know, Jive Records chose to have Pepsi sponsor her tour instead of Clear Channel, who owned a lot of radio stations in the U.S., so they banned Britney's music until 2003.

This affected the rollout of singles from the “Britney” album and during her most ambitious tour ever, the “Dream Whitin’ a Dream Tour” (2001-2002). The only singles that charted on the Billboard Hot 100 from the album were: “I’m a Slave 4 U” (at #27) and “Overprotected” (at #86). It’s important to recall that Brit-Brit released 5 singles from this album, including 6 music videos (two for the “Overprotected” single).

Can we get justice for “I’m Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman” in 2023?

Can this remix help?

Edited by Joman82
  • Love 1

Back in 2001/2002 radio play was pretty much the only thing that counted as points to chart (single sales would count too but britney’s singles were always poorly distributed to push album sales) so when she got banned there was no chance she was charting anything. But pretty much ALL of her videos from that time topped the ATRL and were big hits at MTV so everyone still knew about them and never thought she was flopping nor anything. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

People here have already given accurate answers, add to this cd sales were dropping due to Napster from 2000 and Britney radio was close to non existent where fan voting was there Britney was charting on top already like TLC - AOL etc etc. 

I do know seeing new generation like T swift Ariana etc her singles run seems to be flop but it was always quite the opposite. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block