How does the new generation remember Britney Spears?

As a Britney fan from the beginning it is so easy to remember the defining moments throughout her career. So many questions and opinions about every detail of her life have been speculated. With the release of her memoir approaching and more details beginning to emerge, I wonder how the new generation remembers Britney Spears?

Edited by Bingjmljr
  • Like 1

Well, baby one more time is a timeless classic pop song that almost half of the planet has heard of, so everyone will always know OF her. And I think she has many of her core fans left.
Maybe they are not as active on forums etc, but people generally feel bad for her and the trauma she’s experienced and they support her.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, BPI said:

Unfortunately the new generation doesn't remember, they call her crazy.

I think initially the very young generation will think that based on first impressions I.e. the media.

but the magic of being a controversial artist is that the young generation will Google her and look her up on YouTube out of curiosity and will see her entire body of work.

I see comments on her music videos from young people who said the knife video directed them there.

it’s the same with older artists that die. The youth will Google them and discover their back catalogue and become posthumous stans.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, during the time when Britney's legacy was supposed to be translated to newer generations, she was in Vegas and then entering the end of conservatorship. So current young generations who are biggest music consumers know her mostly as a gossip and online fixture. 

Thankfully, songs have a legacy of their own so they do encounter bigger hits and occasionally connect the dots. I see a lot of them very surprised when they discover just how good Britney was in her prime. 

I hope this will change for the better now that Britney signed with UMG because they're a publishing company and their profits depend on promoting and rebranding her back catalogue which was not the case for RCA as they're a traditional record label.  

I think that Britney's popularity with newer generations in the next few years will largely depend on how "BOMT" and "Toxic" are kept alive and around. 

Edited by mstark
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean by 'new generation'. As a Gen Z, before becoming a fan, I primarily remembered her for her Femme Fatale hits. I also knew about her iconic moments, such as dancing with a snake. I listened to many of her most popular hits, which were mostly from the late 2000s and early 2010s. I was very surprised when I found more photos and videos of her from the early 2000s, and I was struck by how charismatic and beautiful she was.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

They probably don't understand why she is so famous.

When I was growing up, I felt like that way about Madonna. Who is this old lady and why do people love her so much? Over time Madonna earned my respect because she relentlessly created art and stayed fresh and relevant (or tried to). I fear that Britney will not do enough to spark new fans going forward. However she is forever an A list icon and she can still do things to please her legacy fans.

I do think some people like her as a person and care about her. Say what you want but it's refreshing to see someone not create a fake image on social media. Young kids care more about authenticity. If they don't think she's an authentic singer and songwriter, they at least see her authentic social media presence.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I was born in November of 1999 and by the beginning of 2003 I was trying to learn the Oops dance and would only wanna listen to that song. My cousins loved her and I saw them enough when I was a baby that I started to love her. Pretty sure they got me the Oops CD for my 1st or 2nd birthday. I remember when she shaved her head but I didn’t think she was crazy, I thought she just did it because she wanted to. My dad is bald and shaves his head because he doesn’t want to deal with hair so I didn’t think it was weird of her to do. My mom “banned” me from watching the Circus music video when it came out because she thought it was too inappropriate and that’s when I learned how to delete browser history. When Femme Fatale came out I remember having her take me to Target that morning to get the CD and being late for school. Same with Britney Jean. I coerced her into going to Vegas to see Piece of Me in 2016. I remember her as being the best of the best, like Michael in the sense that there will never be another that even comes close to her. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
  • Super Mods

Well it depends who you ask cause I have 2 teenage cousins who think of her as this 90s popstar who dressed as a school girl in BOMT and then I have a brother in law who is younger than me and says she's crazy cause she shaved her head and danced with knives.

However to the new generation,  I think she is mainly known for her IG persona and many of them who aren't fans like us or don't know her history, probably think she's some middle age crazy lady who used to be famous.

She has the chance to turn it all around but its up to her and frankly I don't think she cares.

Which is fine,  I just wish she would care more about her legacy but again that's not up to me.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

As a genz, i only knew she was iconic with songs like toxic, gimme more, womanizer. Before my curiosity and some research, i assumed she was mentally unstable due to the media portrayal. Unfortunately, people unaware of conservatorship think like that i guess. Since i know the free britney movement, I have mad respect and full support for her.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, princessmimi said:

Well it depends who you ask cause I have 2 teenage cousins who think of her as this 90s popstar who dressed as a school girl in BOMT and then I have a brother in law who is younger than me and says she's crazy cause she shaved her head and danced with knives.

However to the new generation,  I think she is mainly known for her IG persona and many of them who aren't fans like us or don't know her history, probably think she's some middle age crazy lady who used to be famous.

She has the chance to turn it all around but its up to her and frankly I don't think she cares.

Which is fine,  I just wish she would care more about her legacy but again that's not up to me.

I agree… it’s the legacy part that bothers me

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block