I don't understand the hype around Taylor Swift.

14 hours ago, MasterMindz said:

THIS. If Britney put out 2 more BOMT/OOPS albums before Slave 4 U, she would have kept selling millions upon millions of albums. :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

I think this is where Taylor and her team got it right. They transitioned slowly to a more mature image, while still attracting the younger generation. 

Britney needed to express herself which is why she's one of the best popstars ever.

• Love 2

Let me preface this by saying I find it very difficult, if not impossible, to separate an artist from their art, so perhaps that's a fault of my own. And this might get me a lot of hate, but...

Real Housewives Of Orange County Discussion GIF

I became a fan of Taylor's around the Reputation era, but lately I've come to realize Taylor is not the sweet, humble girl she markets herself to be. She's one hell of a songwriter, she puts on amazing shows, and she is extremely smart. But her recent behavior, particularly when it comes to whom she's allegedly dating (Matty Healy), has been really off-putting.

Let me be clear and say that I don't think artists - especially women - should be held responsible for anything others do, particularly men. And I realize this is a touchy criticism for her in particular because, for her entire career, she's been labeled as a one-dimensional girl who dates around.

However, I do think people can show who they are through those they associate with. I would never in a million years associate with - much less date - someone who gave a N@zi salute on stage, said they enjoyed mast*rbating to **** where Black women were brutalized, or laughed at jokes making fun of an artist (Ice Spice) and calling her disrespectful/racist things and then doubled down later saying it wasn't a big deal. That's just not the type of person I would ever want to be around, and it's questionable (to me) that Taylor seemingly is unfazed by these things.

And then to not say a word about all of this but quickly turn around to collaborate with the very artist her alleged beau mocked? That also feels weird. And the remix is messy, so I can't imagine this was in the works for months, especially when Taylor is very particular about her craft (which is mostly a good thing, I think). Even if releasing it around all of this was a coincidence, the timing is just icky, and you'd think an artist who is very strategic about releases years in advance would consider the optics of it all.

I also don't necessarily think artists owe anyone any type of activism, but when you draw in a good number of fans by releasing a documentary (Miss Americana) where the whole premise is "I'm finding my voice, and I'm going to be more vocal about politics now!" and also spend an era (Lover) incorporating LGBTQ+ themes, but then stay silent when the community - especially trans folks - are literally being attacked and vilified through legislation and the things people (in power) say, it speaks volumes. Plenty of artists, like Lizzo and Paramore, don't necessarily market themselves as activists but have certainly spoken up about these very things recently. I'd expect similarly from someone who has marketed themselves as an activist and an ally in the past.

Overall, nothing feels genuine, except for her songs because she writes them from personal experiences (most of which, to her credit, are well-written and/or super catchy). She's very calculated, and, while I commend her for thinking so far in advance about how she wants her career to unfold, it's gotten to the point where it's left me turned off from her as an artist.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
On 6/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, toxiccriminal said:

Let me preface this by saying I find it very difficult, if not impossible, to separate an artist from their art, so perhaps that's a fault of my own. And this might get me a lot of hate, but...

I became a fan of Taylor's around the Reputation era, but lately I've come to realize Taylor is not the sweet, humble girl she markets herself to be. She's one hell of a songwriter, she puts on amazing shows, and she is extremely smart. But her recent behavior, particularly when it comes to whom she's allegedly dating (Matty Healy), has been really off-putting.

Let me be clear and say that I don't think artists - especially women - should be held responsible for anything others do, particularly men. And I realize this is a touchy criticism for her in particular because, for her entire career, she's been labeled as a one-dimensional girl who dates around.

However, I do think people can show who they are through those they associate with. I would never in a million years associate with - much less date - someone who gave a N@zi salute on stage, said they enjoyed mast*rbating to **** where Black women were brutalized, or laughed at jokes making fun of an artist (Ice Spice) and calling her disrespectful/racist things and then doubled down later saying it wasn't a big deal. That's just not the type of person I would ever want to be around, and it's questionable (to me) that Taylor seemingly is unfazed by these things.

And then to not say a word about all of this but quickly turn around to collaborate with the very artist her alleged beau mocked? That also feels weird. And the remix is messy, so I can't imagine this was in the works for months, especially when Taylor is very particular about her craft (which is mostly a good thing, I think). Even if releasing it around all of this was a coincidence, the timing is just icky, and you'd think an artist who is very strategic about releases years in advance would consider the optics of it all.

I also don't necessarily think artists owe anyone any type of activism, but when you draw in a good number of fans by releasing a documentary (Miss Americana) where the whole premise is "I'm finding my voice, and I'm going to be more vocal about politics now!" and also spend an era (Lover) incorporating LGBTQ+ themes, but then stay silent when the community - especially trans folks - are literally being attacked and vilified through legislation and the things people (in power) say, it speaks volumes. Plenty of artists, like Lizzo and Paramore, don't necessarily market themselves as activists but have certainly spoken up about these very things recently. I'd expect similarly from someone who has marketed themselves as an activist and an ally in the past.

Overall, nothing feels genuine, except for her songs because she writes them from personal experiences (most of which, to her credit, are well-written and/or super catchy). She's very calculated, and, while I commend her for thinking so far in advance about how she wants her career to unfold, it's gotten to the point where it's left me turned off from her as an artist.

I read every word you said here and I have to agree. The songs are very personal and to the point, which I admire about her. But she never does anything for others if it is not ultimately for her benefit. She turned towards LGBTQ+ just to increase sales. She released so many versions of the same album, just to make money, and I also believe she lied about the copyright situation of their songs. Because she realized that if she made herself a victim and didn't buy the rights to her songs, she would get a lot more, and I'll tell you why - What do you think will make you more money? Selling old released albums that no one buys these days, or re-releasing the same albums for resale with "new" songs + previously unreleased songs? Of course, for her ego and her wallet, the second option is better in every direction. Yes, she is calculating whọre. Good for her possessive life if she has no heart and soul :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

• Like 4

I love her music but she is very overrated as performer and personality

She was flopping in 2019 with Lover but lucked out with releasing during pandemic when there was zero competition

Allegedly she hates Olivia Rodrigo cause it's her only big competition with the same demo

Edited by tsss
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Super Mods
On 6/2/2023 at 9:34 AM, toxiccriminal said:

I totally agree with what you said about Taylor.

I actually wrote about this on @Flavor Of Love's thread about her the other day:

Taylor used to seem sweet in the early days of her career but I really do think fame and success has changed her.

I noticed a shift in her personality and persona when she transitioned to a popstar.

Before the 1989 era, she seemed more genuine but then during that time,

she started to doing PR stunts like having a squad of Victoria Secret Models hang out with her at every award show due to promotion for Bad Blood,

then she promoted Reputation like a revenge album against Kim and Kanye when all Kim did was expose her for lying on video.

Also how come she only dates A-listers and not regular guys?

It seems like she dates for status and publicity, not for true love.

Maybe she did love that Joe guy but not enough to break up with him and go with that disgusting rocker dude.

She showed her true colors by getting with him and didn't break up with him until she started getting backlash and in fear of losing fans' money.

Why did it have to take fans to get her to dump him and not all the horrible things he does?

I love her music and have always been a fan but as a person,

I really don't know what's the truth or not. I thought I knew her but obviously I don't.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

I totally agree with what you said about Taylor.

I actually wrote about this on @Flavor Of Love's thread about her the other day:

Taylor used to seem sweet in the early days of her career but I really do think fame and success has changed her.

I noticed a shift in her personality and persona when she transitioned to a popstar.

Before the 1989 era, she seemed more genuine but then during that time,

she started to doing PR stunts like having a squad of Victoria Secret Models hang out with her at every award show due to promotion for Bad Blood,

then she promoted Reputation like a revenge album against Kim and Kanye when all Kim did was expose her for lying on video.

Also how come she only dates A-listers and not regular guys?

It seems like she dates for status and publicity, not for true love.

Maybe she did love that Joe guy but not enough to break up with him and go with that disgusting rocker dude.

She showed her true colors by getting with him and didn't break up with him until she started getting backlash and in fear of losing fans' money.

Why did it have to take fans to get her to dump him and not all the horrible things he does?

I love her music and have always been a fan but as a person,

I really don't know what's the truth or not. I thought I knew her but obviously I don't.

Honestly, I liked her until Speak Now era in, music,...but I don't like her as a person. She gives me vibes that she hasn't gotten over her childhood and has the need to make herself a victim and take revenge on others and show how she's better than them, how she has everything they don't, how she can have A-list partners and they can't. I just don't like this behavior. She is a good story-teller in her lyrics, but her personality lives in a bubble of her own making and she has low emotional intelligence and low self-esteem.

• Super Mods
9 minutes ago, Flavor Of Love said:

Honestly, I liked her until Speak Now era in, music,...but I don't like her as a person. She gives me vibes that she hasn't gotten over her childhood and has the need to make herself a victim and take revenge on others and show how she's better than them, how she has everything they don't, how she can have A-list partners and they can't. I just don't like this behavior. She is a good story-teller in her lyrics, but her personality lives in a bubble of her own making and she has low emotional intelligence and low self-esteem.

True.

I just don't get why she goes through millions of guys if she doesn't intend to stay with them.

I mean she always puts the blame on them in her songs but if they all dumped her, Isn't she the problem?

Her writing diss songs of her love life was charming and cute when she was a teenager but now as a 33 year old woman, it comes off as cringey and attention seeking.

I also think its unfair how expensive her concert tickets are because not all fans could afford $300+ tickets.

I was lucky to see her back in her early days cause now, I couldn't afford it.

However I do like how she doesn't stick to just 1 type of music and changes genres.

She actually does a better job at that than most artists like Christina Aguilera, no offense, cause it seems more natural.

And like I said, I respect that she doesnt use her sxuality to sell her music cause that gets either very old quickly or can come off as trying too hard.

She focuses on her art and thats admirable.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, princessmimi said:

True.

I just don't get why she goes through millions of guys if she doesn't intend to stay with them.

I mean she always puts the blame on them in her songs but if they all dumped her, Isn't she the problem?

Her writing diss songs of her love life was charming and cute when she was a teenager but now as a 33 year old woman, it comes off as cringey and attention seeking.

I also think its unfair how expensive her concert tickets are because not all fans could afford $300+ tickets.

I was lucky to see her back in her early days cause now, I couldn't afford it.

However I do like how she doesn't stick to just type of music and changes genres.

She actually does a better job at that than most artists like Christina Aguilera, no offense, cause it seems more natural.

And like I said, I respect that she doesnt use her sxuality to sell her music cause that gets either very old quickly or can come off as trying too hard.

She focuses on her art and thats admirable.

I agreed with you at all :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor isn’t that girl and her music doesn’t slap but she is a safe artist. There is consistency and I guess people like having a safe artist to follow. Plus her work ethic is amazing. She keeps her fan base fed. Taylor seems like the only pop girl out right now that still has actual eras anymore 

Spoiler

Me realizing later that other female singers don’t have full eras anymore because they keep flopping  :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• Like 1

I’ve never understood why she’s so popular. Her music is average and she herself is boring and basic! She’s done no iconic or even interesting performances and her videos aren’t memorable or iconic either. I think what it is is all the basic B$@ches in the world look up and admire her and that’s why she so successful….they’re like omg if I she can do it I can too 

Race and ***uality have little to do with it...Britney in her prime had a huge hetero***ual following, particularly with young girls...

Taylor's problem is her shady origin story. Her father bought HUGE shares in the music company that produced her, so neptoism explains how this calamatious bumpkin became world renowned...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block