Madonna's Hard Candy: 15th anniversary

15 years ago today, on April 25th, 2008, Madonna's 11th studio album, sweetly titled Hard Candy, was released worldwide. What do you think of this album? Do you like it, do you hate it? Have you ever listened to it? How often do you come back to it?

Before I state my own opinion, I'd like to mention what people generally thought of the album when it was dropped and, i guess, what many of them still think... The general consensus was that Hard Candy was the beginning of the end for Madonna and instead of leading the curve, she started to stay behind it to remain relevant on charts. She worked with many early and mid 2000s staple producers - Timbaland, The Neptunes and Justin Timberlake (yikes) - and crafted what many considered to be a rip-off of albums such as Loose by Nelly Furtado, Future*** by Timberlake or LAMB by Gwen Stefani (which is true, to an extent). Many critics dragged the record for sounding dated in the context of 2008 and that it was too basic and generic for the artist of Madonna's caliber. Some even retitled the album 'STALE CANDY'. Britney Spears Reaction GIF by MOODMAN And don't get me even started on that artwork and front cover Over It Reaction GIFMe, personally, I really enjoy this album, it feels like a more Americanized version of Confessions, a tad more light-hearted, yet still having some deeply personal moments (Miles Away, Devil, Voices, Heartbeat). The promotion sucked ***, tho... i dunno what it was with all these releases by legendary stars in 2008 (Madonna's HC, Mariah's EMC2, Janet's Discipline Mixtape Janet Jackson Reaction GIF, Kylie's underrated X), but their promotion was just atrocious...

Edited by onlybiczz
  • Love 1

I’m torn between this subject. Even though it’s an album that doesn’t live up to the standards of Madonna’s past albums… it’s an enjoyable record overall.

I have some attached memories to songs like: Heartbeat (my first month in Argentina), Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You (the guy I lost my virgnity with), Miles Away (my first official relationship). :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Anyways, we all agree Hard Candy it’s when Madonna started chasing trends instead of setting them. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

• Love 1
  • Content Curators

I always thought it was funny how they included (only) mints in the box set for this album, like....that's kinda cheap right? :eyes_britney_laugh:

I really like this album. I enjoy most of it except for Dance Tonight, Candy Shop and Spanish Lesson.

The best tracks are Heartbeat, Miles Away, Voices, Give it To Me and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You.

• Love 2

I wanna be there when you touch fire

I remember the hype then letdown with 4 Minutes. I associate a lot of chasing trends to the start of Madonna adopting a singular definition of s** appeal she’s kept today, compared to the various roles she used to adopt and be revered for.

Hard Candy has a couple bops at best, but ultimately anything great would’ve still paled after Confessions - it’s her magnum opus.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Midnight said:

I always thought it was funny how they included (only) mints in the box set for this album, like....that's kinda cheap right? :eyes_britney_laugh:

I really like this album. I enjoy most of it except for Dance Tonight, Candy Shop and Spanish Lesson.

The best tracks are Heartbeat, Miles Away, Voices, Give it To Me and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You.

Tbf, in American Life Album box set they just included stamps... freaking stamps Britney Spears Ugh GIF

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Jacolicious said:

There is no bad Madonna album. Period. 

Been meaning to revisit this and American Life (which I wish was titled Intervention instead - early 2003 was a polarizing time in the states. We all know what happened to The Chicks)

i agree, Madonna doesn't have a bad release... The closest to it, imo, is Madame X but it's still not THAT bad... It's just annoying with its abuse of autotune and questionable genre blend 

11 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Blackout’s influence! :jordan-perfume:

To each of their own, she collaborated with Danja on 4 Minutes, Miles Away, Voices and Devil which are single handedly the highlights of the album. 4 Minutes, with some tweaks here and there, sounds as if it could be on Blackout... So yeah, I don't think that saying "it's blackout's influence" is an overstatement! It's actually true! britney spears blackout GIF

• Love 1
14 hours ago, onlybiczz said:

15 years ago today, on April 25th, 2008, Madonna's 11th studio album, sweetly titled Hard Candy, was released worldwide. What do you think of this album? Do you like it, do you hate it? Have you ever listened to it? How often do you come back to it?

Before I state my own opinion, I'd like to mention what people generally thought of the album when it was dropped and, i guess, what many of them still think... The general consensus was that Hard Candy was the beginning of the end for Madonna and instead of leading the curve, she started to stay behind it to remain relevant on charts. She worked with many early and mid 2000s staple producers - Timbaland, The Neptunes and Justin Timberlake (yikes) - and crafted what many considered to be a rip-off of albums such as Loose by Nelly Furtado, Future*** by Timberlake or LAMB by Gwen Stefani (which is true, to an extent). Many critics dragged the record for sounding dated in the context of 2008 and that it was too basic and generic for the artist of Madonna's caliber. Some even retitled the album 'STALE CANDY'. Britney Spears Reaction GIF by MOODMAN And don't get me even started on that artwork and front cover Over It Reaction GIFMe, personally, I really enjoy this album, it feels like a more Americanized version of Confessions, a tad more light-hearted, yet still having some deeply personal moments (Miles Away, Devil, Voices, Heartbeat). The promotion sucked ***, tho... i dunno what it was with all these releases by legendary stars in 2008 (Madonna's HC, Mariah's EMC2, Janet's Discipline Mixtape Janet Jackson Reaction GIF, Kylie's underrated X), but their promotion was just atrocious...

Her last album :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 1

I became a fan in 2003 and American life that techno folk sound is still my fave and then going into dreamy confessions album. Now bumping into hard candy was a little weird

the 4 minutes video was huge

i feel like a lot of her vocals need to be pitched down? Like it’s so grating a lot of it not sure why u would want to choose that. Like u sure u don’t wanna process that some more?

devil wouldn’t recognize u is so gooooooosdd!!!

how she looked and danced in 4 minutes was amazing the dance break! The following videos are horrendous :( there’s a remix of miles away THIN WHITE DUKE remix that is heartbreaking . Paul oakenfold remix of give it 2 me other good ones 4 minutes. Like classic interesting beats going on here: Understand?

why do other artists not have dance remixes of their ******* songs (or it’s only one). the remixes that britney released for hold me closer all were really bad and basic!! Like nothing new. It’s frustrating why no other female makes any contribution to dance music??? Boring ******* *****es. Except Selena does have an ear so there is one. She is like an heartbroken gay guy so she should know how to do this. Britney is more republican. Taylor the illenium remix of which one was it. He does cool stuff so I don’t understand why it’s so bad? I’m genuinely confused. Also like where are the remixes for river?? And Lana refuses to remix anything. The **** is going on 

Edited by Loveprofusion

I remember at the time thinking it was just okay but looking back, it's a pretty good album, especially when I compare it to albums like Madame X. I didn't love that she was doing something so mainstream bc Madonna always set the trends and was ahead of the curve but there are some really decent tracks and it was a different reinvention for her. The tour wasn't the best.

• Love 1

I lived through this era! Madonna was everywhere! :peasants_taylor_swift_walking_away_bye_goodbye: It was really a rebirth... again for M.

Liked the first single, like the second and even Miles Away, especially Candy Shop :frenchy_britney_u_sure_ff_femme_fatale_you_look: I liked the album too. I wish I went to her concert when she was here, it looked amazing. Ugh.

Now, I don't really like the album lol

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block