Beyoncé Removes Kelis Interpolation From ‘Renaissance’ Amid Crediting Drama

Zach F

22 hours ago, officialmaurice said:

When it’s their art. It’d be different if Kelis’ voice was sampled. An interpolation is basically saying “hey I was thinking of (insert song here) when I came up with this part”. I guess that wasn’t enough 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

its Kelis's song no matter how you look at it, she should've been asked. period.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jayjukebox said:

its Kelis's song no matter how you look at it, she should've been asked. period.

Intellectually, yes it’s “her” song because she’s known for singing it. Legally, no, that’s not how ownership works. She (Bey) solely has to pay whomever owns the publishing rights, which Kelis doesn’t. So why would she have to reach out to her? 

3 hours ago, officialmaurice said:

Intellectually, yes it’s “her” song because she’s known for singing it. Legally, no, that’s not how ownership works. She (Bey) solely has to pay whomever owns the publishing rights, which Kelis doesn’t. So why would she have to reach out to her? 

Well that would be because Milkshake is one of the most successful songs that did ever exist and Kelis is obviously the face and voice behind it so of course it’s dear to her. Beyoncé does not get to take from other artists just because she is Beyoncé. If the tables were turned and Kelis took Single Ladies and interloped it into another song without reaching out , Beyoncé 100 percent would have a problem. She deserved to know , it’s all about respect and having the decency as an artist, because lord knows Beyoncé barely writes any of her own songs.  I know Bey is your girl, but that does not exempt her from making mistakes. She should’ve reached out at least and you won’t be changing my mind in this matter 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 2
3 hours ago, officialmaurice said:

Beyoncé did not write If I Were A Boy. So according to your standards anyone can interloop If I Were A Boy into their own songs and not ask her ? Beyoncé fans really are always on one 🤣😅

9 hours ago, Jayjukebox said:

Beyoncé did not write If I Were A Boy. So according to your standards anyone can interloop If I Were A Boy into their own songs and not ask her ? Beyoncé fans really are always on one 🤣😅

Without getting permission from the publishing company, no they can’t. And these aren’t “my standards”. This is industry 101 💡 this is LAW 101 lol

and while she isn’t the sole writer, she does have a writer’s credit for IIWAB so she would need to be contacted, along with any other publishing company credited to that song. 

42 minutes ago, officialmaurice said:

Without getting permission from the publishing company, no they can’t. And these aren’t “my standards”. This is industry 101 💡 this is LAW 101 lol

and while she isn’t the sole writer, she does have a writer’s credit for IIWAB so she would need to be contacted, along with any other publishing company credited to that song. 

You are missing the point. She did not write that song. Look it up! I’m well aware of the law. She should’ve been contacted. That’s all.

9 hours ago, Jayjukebox said:

Well that would be because Milkshake is one of the most successful songs that did ever exist and Kelis is obviously the face and voice behind it so of course it’s dear to her. Beyoncé does not get to take from other artists just because she is Beyoncé. If the tables were turned and Kelis took Single Ladies and interloped it into another song without reaching out , Beyoncé 100 percent would have a problem. She deserved to know , it’s all about respect and having the decency as an artist, because lord knows Beyoncé barely writes any of her own songs.  I know Bey is your girl, but that does not exempt her from making mistakes. She should’ve reached out at least and you won’t be changing my mind in this matter 🤷🏾‍♂️

What did Beyoncé take (in this instance)? She paid THE WRITERS - her only obligation to the matter. Her use was fair and legal. But we’re forgetting that she credited Kelis as the original performer in the liner notes…

18 minutes ago, Jayjukebox said:

You are missing the point. She did not write that song. Look it up! I’m well aware of the law. She should’ve been contacted. That’s all.

I think you’re missing the point. Writers and performers are two different things. Pharrell and Chad wrote “Milkshake”, which was performed by Kelis. Point of contact: Pharrell and Chad’s publishing company. 

i honestly forgot about Beyoncé’s credit being removed from IIWAB but regardless, whomever would want to either sample or interpolate the song would have to contact the writers of the song, as Beyoncé has done with “Milkshake”. 

1 hour ago, officialmaurice said:

I think you’re missing the point. Writers and performers are two different things. Pharrell and Chad wrote “Milkshake”, which was performed by Kelis. Point of contact: Pharrell and Chad’s publishing company. 

i honestly forgot about Beyoncé’s credit being removed from IIWAB but regardless, whomever would want to either sample or interpolate the song would have to contact the writers of the song, as Beyoncé has done with “Milkshake”. 

and if Beyonce had a problem with her song being used, you would STILL stand behind her. Beyonce is not above anyone. PERIODT!

1 hour ago, officialmaurice said:

What did Beyoncé take (in this instance)? She paid THE WRITERS - her only obligation to the matter. Her use was fair and legal. But we’re forgetting that she credited Kelis as the original performer in the liner notes…

Are you not getting the point? Kelis was not aware, when she should've been informed. Like theres no excuse for that and the fact that you are trying to make one for Beyonce, speaks on YOUR integrity.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
On 8/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, Spicechinodiva said:

Kelis should have ate her food, but now the bank account is zero.

Like ky friend said Kekis was expecting way more that she needed, it's the fact abd the audacity she thought Beyonce would call her.

You're a two hit wonder, kinda beneath her. 

Beyonce is talking about female empowerment, she could call Pharrel and others out, she has that power. She doesn't, that's her being a hypocrite (or as she is stealing credits often enough it's just her running from the drama)

• Like 1

Let's just be honest, outside her fans, people forgot kelis actually happened, she is seen in the states as the milkshake girl and AS nas described in a Madonna track, the crazy girl ge divorced from happily of course.

I'll say this, If Kelis wanted to become the victim and the villain at the same time.

It worked, But just pray Solange Holyfield Knowles don't catch her in an elevator. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Jayjukebox said:

and if Beyonce had a problem with her song being used, you would STILL stand behind her. Beyonce is not above anyone. PERIODT!

If her claim was valid, yea I would but don’t get it at all twisted. I’m not picking her side. I’m just stating facts. It doesn’t matter who the artist is - fair is fair and if Kelis was ACTUALLY being ripped off, 1000% behind her. But really? This hoopla over a phone call that didn’t and didn’t have to happen 🤔 

2 hours ago, Jayjukebox said:

Are you not getting the point? Kelis was not aware, when she should've been informed. Like theres no excuse for that and the fact that you are trying to make one for Beyonce, speaks on YOUR integrity.

I guess I’m not getting the point. 

someone else chime in. I must be wording something incorrectly. 

and don’t be personal. You don’t know šhįt about me or my integrity. I’m not one of these lil Hivers. But again, I’m obviously saying the wrong things 🤷🏽‍♂️ it’ll make sense when you take Beyoncé outta the equation

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block