Beyoncé Removes Kelis Interpolation From ‘Renaissance’ Amid Crediting Drama

Zach F

Beyoncé is making another change to Renaissance.

After Kelis called out the "Break My Soul" singer and The Neptunes - Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo, specifically - for using her song without notifying her, the 40-year-old superstar is now removing the "Milkshake" interpolation from her song, "Energy," co-produced with Skrillex, Al Cres, BEAM and Nova Wav.

"I have the right to be frustrated," Kelissaid of the interpolation done without her permission.

Kelis’ name was not featured in the songwriting and production credits for “Energy,” but Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo were. (Kelis is not credited as a songwriter or producer on "Milkshake," either.)

Fans have noticed while listening on Tidal that the interpolation is now missing from the song, as are the songwriting credits attributed to "Milkshake." 

The change has not yet been applied to other streaming services.

Related:

• Haha 3

But has she called Kelis yet? ngl it was a little shady to sample her song without a call considering their history. Like, “Hey, I sort of ended your career after you dated my husband’s arch rival and now I’m sampling you on my new hit album without a phone call.” Love Bey and I consider myself pretty anti-social but this is just a bit chilly. 

:beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BritneyGXKB said:

But has she called Kelis yet? ngl it was a little shady to sample her song without a call considering their history. Like, “Hey, I sort of ended your career after you dated my husband’s arch rival and now I’m sampling you on my new hit album without a phone call.” Love Bey and I consider myself pretty anti-social but this is just a bit chilly. 

:beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

Wait, who did Kelis date that is Jay-Z's arch rival? I didn't know this backstory. :unreal_omg_no_way_shocked_wow_surprised:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block