What sector do you work in?

Slayer

I'm a substitue teacher and have had long term positions, but I don't like it. It's nice working with students, but education in this country is basically indoctrination and school boards have too much control and I hate teachers who think they are better, because they are a teacher. If you are not liberal, then it's like you can't open your mouth. Schools are just an extension of politics. Props to those who home school and realize public education is not it. Private schools bow down, because they need tuition money. It's all a waste I think.

End of rant.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Mr. Cavill said:

May I ask.... how do you guys handle the pressure to start with? Also, how on earth are you able to save money? The workload is immense and it always gets carried on at home. I work in a private school so it might be the conditions there but the whole system is very draining. That being said, I love the actual teaching process and the relationship I build with the students. However, I feel like being borderline altruist, I do a lot of things at MY expense (mental/physical health) and while I do help the community, I feel like I'm slowly burning out.

What are your own experiences/thoughts on the education sector?

Well... being a teacher in Argentina usually implies a low salarie and a bad reputation.

"You get paid for doing nothing" is the commonest belief and misconception. I don't usually feel pressured but when I do, I try to focus on making my work as enjoyable as possible. (I'm like a performer and the classroom is my stage LOL) As I work in a public school teaching adults, I try to follow the syllabus but on my own terms, mixing it up with things I enjoy: history, mythology, linguistics, music, art, pop culture, etc. My students get to learn what they need from different perspectives and I get to do things my way.

About saving money... I have another job besides teaching. That's the one that actually pays the bills.  The education sector has been collapsing for ages in this country so saving money is reserved to teachers with long-time careers or sometimes you just have to get lucky. My brother is a teacher but he didn't study to become one. He had moved to a small town where teachers were needed and the job found him. Nowadays, he is living comfortably whereas I'm actually poor. My current salary  is 74 (seventy four) US$ per month, so do the math...

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mr. Cavill said:

May I ask.... how do you guys handle the pressure to start with? Also, how on earth are you able to save money? The workload is immense and it always gets carried on at home. I work in a private school so it might be the conditions there but the whole system is very draining. That being said, I love the actual teaching process and the relationship I build with the students. However, I feel like being borderline altruist, I do a lot of things at MY expense (mental/physical health) and while I do help the community, I feel like I'm slowly burning out.

What are your own experiences/thoughts on the education sector?

I completely get you. The education sector in Mexico has been suffering for a long time. Some time ago there were multiple programs for teachers to be promoted and they would make a comfortable amount of money. When I was a kid, I remember my teachers had quite decent cars and nice houses (I grew up in a medium-sized town, so I knew where some of them lived) :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Currently, you start with a very low income and getting promoted is an insurmountable task. I worked for 11 years in the public sector under a contract, which is worse. Thanfully, last year I got tenure, which provides stable (and decent) income and you don't have to worry about reaching the end of a term and your contract is finished too. The level in which you teach plays a big role too.

As for the pressure thing, I think that only a true call for teaching makes you endure.

About saving money... it is hard af... but I think that this is something we all have to be disciplined with no matter the job we have. I try to establish an amount and set it apart every fortnight. I sometimes teach private lessons for extra money. Let's round this up my saying I'm so happy I'm single and no one depends on my salary but my azz :runga_stupid_love_gaga_running_away_bye_pink_chromatica:

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block