Beyonce's Renaissance album cover

On 7/5/2022 at 2:44 AM, xoariblac said:

it's definitely more metaphorical than that. colloquially, renaissance is just used to mean the peak or hayday of something. she's using it more in reference to this new era of art and culture that has been brought to life after the pandemic and the boom in DIY and maximalism.

I’m not familiar with USA use of the word. But that makes sense. Here in Europe it’s definitely used to reference the period in time. (Which indeed also stands for a change in art and culture, so I guess we do use it kinda the same?)

But yeah I get it. Things can mean different things across the globe. I guess it’s kinda the same like the Lizzo thing with as the word spazz being a slur in the UK but more slang in USA.

Also I do think most people don’t know about the bad stuff that happend during the Renaissance and just associate it with positive changes. Which is different from the Lizzo thing were the association with spazz is purely negative. 

I do think Beyonce will regret the album title in 10-20 years. History is really being looked at and rewritten from different perspectives. I know for sure people are going to associate the word Renaissance with more negative feelings in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 10:40 PM, IAmBorg said:

I’m not familiar with USA use of the word. But that makes sense. Here in Europe it’s definitely used to reference the period in time. (Which indeed also stands for a change in art and culture, so I guess we do use it kinda the same?)

But yeah I get it. Things can mean different things across the globe. I guess it’s kinda the same like the Lizzo thing with as the word spazz being a slur in the UK but more slang in USA.

Also I do think most people don’t know about the bad stuff that happend during the Renaissance and just associate it with positive changes. Which is different from the Lizzo thing were the association with spazz is purely negative. 

I do think Beyonce will regret the album title in 10-20 years. History is really being looked at and rewritten from different perspectives. I know for sure people are going to associate the word Renaissance with more negative feelings in the future. 

I'm from the UK, so idk about the US specifically:cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block