(Updated) You tube removed the dislike button

Neydelinska Spearsi

It was teased back in March, but today YouTube made it official: the platform will be removing the dislike counter. This means you’ll no longer be able to look at a video and think, gee, this isn’t a very popular video, I’m sure it’s just bad and not at all the result of a weaponised fanbase and/or political group.

The dislike button itself will remain, so you can make your feelings known if you truly must. It’s just the public counter displaying how many times the dislike button has been clicked that’s going away.

After testing the idea out earlier in the year, YouTube liked what they found:

At YouTube, we strive to be a place where creators of all sizes and backgrounds can find and share their voice. To ensure that YouTube promotes respectful interactions between viewers and creators, we introduced several features and policies to improve their experience. And earlier this year, we experimented with the dislike button to see whether or not changes could help better protect our creators from harassment, and reduce dislike attacks — where people work to drive up the number of dislikes on a creator’s videos.

As part of this experiment, viewers could still see and use the dislike button. But because the count was not visible to them, we found that they were less likely to target a video’s dislike button to drive up the count. In short, our experiment data showed a reduction in dislike attacking behavior1. We also heard directly from smaller creators and those just getting started that they are unfairly targeted by this behavior — and our experiment confirmed that this does occur at a higher proportion on smaller channels.

https://kotaku.com/youtube-has-removed-the-dislike-counter-1848036246

RIP you tube, you're a complete **** now :rip_dead_grave_mariah_graveyard_flowers_rip:

2006-2021

It would be good if they removed it altogether. Most people don't realize that when they dislike a video, they're literally helping the creator because any kind of engagement (likes, dislikes, comments) is good in the eyes of the algorithm. If they removed it completely, maybe sh-tty content wouldn't appear on the trending page and get recommended as much (looking at all those awful lifehack/DIY channels).

• Love 2

:tired_so_there_head_tilt_annoyed_see_rose_mcgowan: well ppl complained when exhale did this. Exhale did this first in fact…… but some  u complained :bang_gun_dance_boom_blue::liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap: 

Maybe @Jordan Miller was just ahead of his time 

YouTube wishes …….

Speaking of YouTube? I’m a sellout xo….. here comes rhe PROMO :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:check out my new compilation video on Britney over the last 25 years! It’s just her speaking for a full 41 minutes candidly 

💚❤️💖

• Haha 1

I think it's a good idea. I've barely used that button, only when a video really pissed me off (like those ads for PrEP that look like a skit but they NEVER TELL YOU IT'S AN AD OMG, that is WRONG! Like, it should be illegal...)

But I feel like this is only so YT can have a better relationship with its content creators, because influencers HATE having negative statistics online, otherwise how do you explain YT not showing the likes/dislikes numbers for the biggest channels like Kylie Jenner's?

We should be able to LET OTHERS KNOW that we don't like something. One thing is being positive and have a nice attitude online, and another one is being able to VOICE OUR OPINIONS. Not everything online is good, and we should be able to tell the world that.

Though now I remember some Britney fans uploading to their small YT channels fanmade content like remixes or video edits like compilations and seeing them getting dislikes and thinking "WHO could dislike something like this?" If you don't like something that was clearly made of out love, just stop watching it or listening to it and go on with something else, but they are all contributing to promoting her as an artist. If anything, getting few likes or even views will already tell those creators that whatever they produced isn't clicking with people. But disliking that content is straight up mean.

57 minutes ago, PreestriPeegliPeedi7 said:

its much like in Exhale isn't it

no i welcome it i always feel weird using the dislike

maybe not having this makes the experiience like more peaceful for me

It's easier to see the quality of the content when  you are on a forum. On you tube, it's a different story.

Keep in mind, on you tube you can hide comments so that puts youngsters in danger- example- scums like Logan brothers can manipulate them and they won't be aware of what's going on

43 minutes ago, FreeBritBrit said:

It's easier to see the quality of the content when  you are on a forum. On you tube, it's a different story.

Keep in mind, on you tube you can hide comments so that puts youngsters in danger- example- scums like Logan brothers can manipulate them and they won't be aware of what's going on

i agree

id like it too for instance if i could comment youtube music items (the official youtube music audios where comments are disabled by default-its like so wrong) XD i am all for comments!!

i guess right now i showed support to no dislikes but it will be weird nevertheless. im looking forward to see how i will feel about it once its reality

On 11/12/2021 at 11:41 AM, I Always Sing Live said:

It would be good if they removed it altogether. Most people don't realize that when they dislike a video, they're literally helping the creator because any kind of engagement (likes, dislikes, comments) is good in the eyes of the algorithm. If they removed it completely, maybe sh-tty content wouldn't appear on the trending page and get recommended as much (looking at all those awful lifehack/DIY channels).

That’s quite literally the point. You tube, Twitter, Facebook’s purpose is to have more engagement. If anything they would add more buttons to increase that. They thrive on crap content that is used for views. This is how they make money. Unfortunate but true. We don’t pay for these services so they make money with eyes on their content. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block