This Day In Pop: Hilary Duff Released "Breathe In. Breathe Out" in 2015 // " This Heart" (scrapped)

emaster

ab67616d0000b2737e5fe8f14d7e8bc5649df2e4

Breathe In. Breathe Out. is the fifth studio album by American singer Hilary Duff. It was released on June 12, 2015, by RCA Records. Duff began work on the album in January 2012, After being signed to RCA Records in 2014, she released the singles, "Chasing the Sun" and "All About You". but after RCA scrapping the songs and the album she recorded, she resumed the sessions in 2014 and 2015. Following the release of these two singles Duff recorded more songs in Sweden in February 2015, and released the album's lead single, "Sparks".

Musically, Breathe In. Breathe Out. is a dance-pop record with EDM and folk-pop elements. The album received generally positive reviews from music critics, praising the album's production quality and the mix of genres on the record. The album debuted at number five on the Billboard 200 chart, making it her fifth top-five entry. 

But  What About "This Heart"? 

dczqzjy-0d6f6494-9fde-4ee0-8118-941c2150

“This Heart” is the album that Hilary Duff wanted as her music comeback back in 2014, sadly after signed with RCA it was cancel but leaked five years later. Hilary described the sound of this album in an interview for Pop Justice in 2014:

So the album took on those kinds of legs and I got inspired by some of the folkier-type music (!). I love Mumford & Sons and I love The Lumineers. It’s definitely a straightforward pop album but with a bit of that influence in there. When I came to the label I just kept saying ‘I want it to feel a little earthy and authentic’ because I’m from Texas, and they were like ‘earthy? What does that mean?’. But that’s the best way I can describe it. It’s definitely pop — I wanted to have those melodies that get stuck in your head — but also have some foot-stomping and claps that bring me back to my roots.

Tracklist:

This heart
Chasing the sun
Feel alive 
Outlaw 
All about you
Tattoo (taking for BIBO)
Wild night out 
If I fall
Rebel hearts
Carry on 
Brave heart 
Hurts 
Wherever we go
Neighborhood 
Belong 
Night like this (Feat. Kendall Schmidt) 
It all stars tonight 
Picture this 

Unleaked Songs from This Heart (On Hilary's Vault):
Before the light changes
Better days
Breathing room
Falling Northern star
Snow globe
Take it for what it is
Tearing down walls
When we were young
Whistling dixie
Where the gods play

Celebrating 6th anniversary of Hilary's last album "Breathe In. Breathe Out". The Remastered Expanded Edition of This Heart its here. This unreleased album it's considered the best album of Hilary Duff by the fans.

In various interviews, the singer showed that she was frustrated by this process of having to discard an entire album and record another.

Producers: Billy Mann, Carl Falk, Christian Medice, David Hodges, Jake Gosling, Jerrod Bettis, Oligee, Sir Nolan, The Suspex, Tearce Kizzo, Toby Gad & Wayne Hector

Writers: Ali Tamposi, Billy Mann, Carl Falk, Chris Leonard, Christian Medice, Colbie Caillat, David Hodges, Ed Sheeran, Fransisca Hall, Hilary Duff, Jake Gosling, Jason Evigan, Jason Reeves, Jerrod Bettis, Johan Carlsson, Katharine Federer, KONO, Kristian Lundin, Lauren Christy, Lindy Robbins, Luciana, Max Martin, Mitch Allan, Mitchy Collins, Nick Clow, Niclas Kings, Oligee, Phoebe Ryan, Rudolph Allero, Savan Kotecha, Sean Douglas, Sir Nolan, Tearce Kizzo, Toby Gad & Wayne Hector

Mastered by Chris Gehringer

Thoughts?

#JusticeforThisHearthd.jpg.c954bfe81d844afb9cb961ea7788dff4.jpg

It wasn’t that great in retrospect. I pushed so hard for this and Hilary’s comeback and am happy she also secured Younger that year. I agree at first I was confused as to why they would shelve This Heart for the most part, but after hearing the leaks earlier this year I realized the label knew what they were doing.

Sparks is superior to both Chasing the Sun and even All About You (although all about you should’ve been the lead as opposed to doing all this promo for chasing the sun, an inferior track). I was however excited to hear her sing in ages.

I enjoyed Breathe in Breathe Out when it came out, but 6 years later I must say that this album is not amazing. It’s no dignity despite it being a cute pop record. She doesn’t care at all about music though and appears to be one of those artists that isn’t actually passionate about it. She laughs and is embarrassed by her music, when she last released something in 2016. It makes me feel cheated and makes me think, if she doesn’t care about her music anymore why should I? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rik said:

It wasn’t that great in retrospect. I pushed so hard for this and Hilary’s comeback and am happy she also secured Younger that year. I agree at first I was confused as to why they would shelve This Heart for the most part, but after hearing the leaks earlier this year I realized the label knew what they were doing.

Sparks is superior to both Chasing the Sun and even All About You (although all about you should’ve been the lead as opposed to doing all this promo for chasing the sun, an inferior track). I was however excited to hear her sing in ages.

I enjoyed Breathe in Breathe Out when it came out, but 6 years later I must say that this album is not amazing. It’s no dignity despite it being a cute pop record. She doesn’t care at all about music though and appears to be one of those artists that isn’t actually passionate about it. She laughs and is embarrassed by her music, when she last released something in 2016. It makes me feel cheated and makes me think, if she doesn’t care about her music anymore why should I? 

Spot On! I turned in my Hilary Duff fan card a long time ago. After Dignity, it was pretty obvious that her main passion was acting, it just so happened that she also found a profitable avenue perusing music. I enjoy Metamorphosis and Dignity for what they are, but I’m content with having just those two. No need for her to further a career that she is disinterested in. It was blatantly obvious that the care was gone when she released her Tinder commercial as a “music video”

1 hour ago, Jordan Miller said:

:rupaulslap_hit_mad:

:thelook_pissed_mad_judging_bow_blue_cheerleader_judging:

39 minutes ago, stevenwoods230 said:

Spot On! I turned in my Hilary Duff fan card a long time ago. After Dignity, it was pretty obvious that her main passion was acting, it just so happened that she also found a profitable avenue perusing music. I enjoy Metamorphosis and Dignity for what they are, but I’m content with having just those two. No need for her to further a career that she is disinterested in. It was blatantly obvious that the care was gone when she released her Tinder commercial as a “music video”

Her main passion is acting. It’s just things like what goes up and according to Greta, where she truly could have shined was drama. But then something went wrong I think

she also made wrong career choices that forced her into a decline. For example, she turned down a role that the lead actress won a golden globe because it was too “similar” to Greta. She claimed she didn’t wanna play the same role more than once, but at that point she was only famous for the same kinda of teen Lizzie roles. She could’ve made it. I think she was destined to fizzle out hence reach out (although she didn’t promote likely because she wanted out of the contract W Hollywood records). 

but to me it felt like she took steps back with her music progression. How do you go from this:

to this

(she wanted this single over reach out) 

to this

her label was right to push for sparks sorry everyone 

• Like 1

This album, and Dignity are sooo incredible. Solid pop albums. Very few skips. I think leading her come back with Chasing the Sun was the biggest mistake. It wasn’t a good song. Had she started with Sparks as the first real single, it would have been bigger. Not everyone found Sparks. Regardless, will be streaming this bomb album all day!!

3 minutes ago, SS91 said:

This album, and Dignity are sooo incredible. Solid pop albums. Very few skips. I think leading her come back with Chasing the Sun was the biggest mistake. It wasn’t a good song. Had she started with Sparks as the first real single, it would have been bigger. Not everyone found Sparks. Regardless, will be streaming this bomb album all day!!

They should’ve done all about your Tattoo with Ed Sheeran to test the earthy folky pop stuff (NOT chasing the sun). Alternatively, they could’ve just put out Sparks 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rik said:

They should’ve done all about your Tattoo with Ed Sheeran to test the earthy folky pop stuff (NOT chasing the sun). Alternatively, they could’ve just put out Sparks 

Thats so true. Tattoo would have some more hype. This is so common with Hilary’s music: sooo much potential and some small missteps :( 

8 minutes ago, SS91 said:

I agree with u, bad first single decission, for example, on the album you can hear a song called "hurts"  its so much better than chasing the sun, or Feel Alive, Outlaw, If I Fall, so many good songs. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Original Britney said:

BIBO was bland imo, lacking some sort of personality. This Heart would have been such a beautiful record and it's unfortunate it didn't see the light of day.

At the same time you can see she had 2 differentes "compilations" Most Wanted, and Best Of, and if you see with "This Hearts" she had like 2 albums on 1, its like the Folclore and Evenmore from Hilary with the clear difference, that she was not allowed to explore.I don't think she will be  realeasing another album, I would like the whole album to leak, luckily we have Taylor Swift

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, emaster said:

At the same time you can see she had 2 differentes "compilations" Most Wanted, and Best Of, and if you see with "This Hearts" she had like 2 albums on 1, its like the Folclore and Evenmore from Hilary with the clear difference, that she was not allowed to explore.I don't think she will be  realeasing another album, I would like the whole album to leak, luckily we have Taylor Swift

She will not be making music this time around  and it’s because it didn’t sell as well as it did before. :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading: I do think if she brought back Lizzie McGuire she would have a bigger audience and demand for music. I hate to say it now because she used to be my fave? But she’s not a real singer or performer. 

The problem is Hilary has only ever been passionate about MUSIC during the Dignity era (and Metamorphosis because she wanted a record out). Other than that, she’s always just had it as part of her brand. With no clothing line, widespread popularity, the music not selling as well, and with Younger doing so well, she doesn’t see a reason to put out music. Even back in 2014 she was promoting her music while also saying she didn’t want to tour. It’s honestly more annoying if anything lol

2 hours ago, stevenwoods230 said:

Oh GOD  and the fan demanded version. I don’t think she was even paid for that or sponsored by tinder. if I’m not mistaken, it was her idea and she gave them free promo??? In her comeback single?? :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay: 

This inspired Britney’s team too for Mood Ring (Fan demanded). I believe this because of Matches (also produced by Hilary’s husband Matthew Korma) lol

41 minutes ago, Rik said:

Oh GOD  and the fan demanded version. I don’t think she was even paid for that or sponsored by tinder. if I’m not mistaken, it was her idea and she gave them free promo??? In her comeback single?? :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay: 

This inspired Britney’s team too for Mood Ring (Fan demanded). I believe this because of Matches (also produced by Hilary’s husband Matthew Korma) lol

Swimming in the stars was produced by Hilary's husband, Matches was produced by Ian Kirpatrick and Mickael Wise.

And yes maybe they take the idea from Mood Ring  (by demand) title, but maybe was RCA cause BIBO was realeased with the same Label. I dont like RCA

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block