Doja Cat drops new song/music video for "need to know"

I'm excited for this!! Everything is on point so far, and she's talented so I expect good things from her. Plus I love that she chose a theme (space or whatever) for this era, I love when artists express themselves around a particular theme, it makes it all bigger and more cohesive, and not just random songs thrown in there.

But what's with the "yuh" in this song and even in the title of another one from the new album? That's such an Ariana trademark at this point. And it's not even on the song Ariana features in.

11 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

So uhm... guys... I have a few questions.

On first listen, the song is dope. No wonder it was produced by Dr. Luke... I mean I hate all I've heard about him so far (I'm talking more Kelly Clarkson than Kesha, honestly) but he's always been an absolute genius. But about the lyrics... omg. I'm kinda starting to get uncomfortable with such up-front s/exualit--no, wait, this is not even about s/exuality as in the broad term to talk about everything related to our s/exual needs (emotions included); no, this is straight up a s/exual song, as in, about s/exual acts. Like most rap songs, really. But I was starting to think about Doja as a "main pop girl", not a rapper, not sure why, so I wasn't expecting her to be so bl/nt about it. And I'm not sure I like that. Maybe because I'm also thinking about Ariana, who IS a main POP girl but is becoming more and more vulgar with each record (lyrics, profanity, visuals). My question is: do you even feel comfortable playing this out loud? Or only when you're alone? Because this is basically p/orn, just in sound form. I mean, read the lyrics:

https://genius.com/Doja-cat-need-to-know-lyrics

Here where I live, since a few years ago young people started listening to a lot of trap music in Spanish, so I've heard many crazy lyrics, but as of now not as direct as these... And I don't like that. Maybe because I'm getting older? But even so, when I was younger, in my twenties, and I was very (and I mean VERY...) s/exually active and Britney was at her prime, even then she wasn't this bl/unt. She never has. I'm not used to this. This is a Xtina in "Dirrty". It's too much for me. But what do YOU guys think? Am I already out of stuff like this, or am I paying to much attention to the lyrics?

ABOUT THE VIDEO: This is a movie. This is a whole movie, you cannot tell me otherwise. That production and design team killed it, I'm blown away.

But can someone please explain the ending to me? I've no idea what happened in the last few seconds...

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

On first listen, the song is dope. No wonder it was produced by Dr. Luke... I mean I hate all I've heard about him so far (I'm talking more Kelly Clarkson than Kesha, honestly) but he's always been an absolute genius. But about the lyrics... omg. I'm kinda starting to get uncomfortable with such up-front s/exualit--no, wait, this is not even about s/exuality as in the broad term to talk about everything related to our s/exual needs (emotions included); no, this is straight up a s/exual song, as in, about s/exual acts. Like most rap songs, really. But I was starting to think about Doja as a "main pop girl", not a rapper, not sure why, so I wasn't expecting her to be so bl/nt about it. And I'm not sure I like that. Maybe because I'm also thinking about Ariana, who IS a main POP girl but is becoming more and more vulgar with each record (lyrics, profanity, visuals). My question is: do you even feel comfortable playing this out loud? Or only when you're only? Because this is basically p/orn, just in sound form. I mean, read the lyrics:

Here where I live, since a few years ago young people started listening to a lot of trap music in Spanish, so I've heard many crazy lyrics, but as of now not as direct as these... And I don't like that. Maybe because I'm getting older? But even so, when I was younger, in my twenties, and I was very (and I mean VERY...) s/exually active and Britney was at her prime, even then she wasn't this bl/unt. She never has. I'm not used to this. This is a Xtina in "Dirrty". It's too much for me. But what do YOU guys think? Am I already out of stuff like this, or am I paying to much attention to the lyrics?

ABOUT THE VIDEO: This is a movie. This is a whole movie, you cannot tell me otherwise. That production and design team killed it, I'm blown away.

But can someone please explain the ending to me? I've no idea what happened in the last few seconds...

I was thinking the same about the lyrics, like girl.. chill. The whole thing was so underwhelming and I don’t know if I like it. I was ready to ask you where did you hear her rapping ‘cause this girl is singing most of the time then I ask myself why do we consider her... a rapper? :dontlike_chewing_gum_zoom_bomt_britney:
I love Doja the pop star, sorry! 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Style. said:

I was thinking the same about the lyrics, like girl.. chill. The whole thing was so underwhelming and I don’t know if I like it. I was ready to ask you where did you hear her rapping ‘cause this girl is singing most of the time then I ask myself why do we consider her... a rapper? :dontlike_chewing_gum_zoom_bomt_britney:
I love Doja the pop star, sorry! 

Oh OK... Glad to hear that. And you're a rap fan! So that's saying something.

But why don't you think she's a rapper? Isn't that how she started, rapping? She got big with her pop songs, that's all.

1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

On first listen, the song is dope. No wonder it was produced by Dr. Luke... I mean I hate all I've heard about him so far (I'm talking more Kelly Clarkson than Kesha, honestly) but he's always been an absolute genius. But about the lyrics... omg. I'm kinda starting to get uncomfortable with such up-front s/exualit--no, wait, this is not even about s/exuality as in the broad term to talk about everything related to our s/exual needs (emotions included); no, this is straight up a s/exual song, as in, about s/exual acts. Like most rap songs, really. But I was starting to think about Doja as a "main pop girl", not a rapper, not sure why, so I wasn't expecting her to be so bl/nt about it. And I'm not sure I like that. Maybe because I'm also thinking about Ariana, who IS a main POP girl but is becoming more and more vulgar with each record (lyrics, profanity, visuals). My question is: do you even feel comfortable playing this out loud? Or only when you're alone? Because this is basically p/orn, just in sound form. I mean, read the lyrics:

I agree, I liked Hot Pink, I think she's creative, grear performer, good songs etc but I don't feel this song. I couldn't play this out loud, makes me feel a lil weird like why does it have to be always this direct? I was kinda over it with Kiss Me More already. I liked the non-explicit version of that, too🥴 and I'm just 20, but maybe others aren't bothered by this

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block