Question about FTR knowing what we know now

dt1991

I just had a question after watching some videos on Instagram. Knowing what we know about how they have tried to paint the conservatorship in a positive light and Britney being accepting of it, how was it that they still allowed footage such as this to be included when they had full control of what was shown and the narrative of the documentary. Is it just that things hadn’t become as dark as they would become to be in years to come? Find it very hard watching the footage of her crying in FTR after knowing what we know!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, JP9101 said:

Lou devil Taylor wasn’t managing Britney right? So ummm yeah I think no one thought about control her for more than a year. Also, Jamie hadn’t felt all the power.

I think she was, theres an interview from early 2008 where she talks about the cship for Jamie and Lynne.

54 minutes ago, ovoxo said:

For real! I wonder that too. Why would they want to let people know that narrative. Unless like you said they didn’t think it would get to this point. Either way bumping this thread cause I’m very curious. 

To have a justification for all this.People thought guardianship could be beneficial to her after this documentary her team removed the word conservatorship.

For the record traumatizes me to this day.. the whole Britney situation does because she was my childhood hero...  but if I recall Correctly this whole forum and her serious fans at the time were up in arms and upset about those scenes!! It’s been free Britney since then... (for her serious fans) I feel like the GP is finally hopping on because of cancel/expose culture.. and Britney looks great because she’s been so composed and straight and narrow ever since. Doing her job and   Recording albums/tours. 

I think for me, and probably many other fans, the documentary seemed to dance around the topic of conversatorship and instead framed her situation as media overexposure and the dangers that come with that level of attention. I remember feeling like her team was being so protective of her to shield her from the paparazzi (and that probably was part of the motivation initially).

When she talked about the "restraints" she was under, she didn't say (or they edited out) what those restraints were specifically, so I think it left the impression that she was under tight security control to protect her well-being, but not that she was allowed to do the things she wanted to do (little did we know). She even talks about wishing she could do normal things like take a simple walk outside without being noticed. So for me, at that time, they framed it like she was so unhappy with the paparazzi and level of scrutiny she was under -- they never mention the word conversatorship. The documentary would've had a more raw, authentic feeling if they would've followed up with a question like, "What are those restraints that you speak of?" Maybe the filmmaker did ask that, but they may have censored it. Even when she says, "When I tell them how I feel, it's like they hear me, but they aren't listening..." They never reference who she's talking about specifically. So they gave us just enough to give us some insight into her thoughts, but kept it clean enough not to make themselves look bad.

Watching FTR in the last two years or so really puts things into a different perspective. I definitely had some different emotions when watching parts of it again recently. Ironically, it's the closest thing we've gotten to Britney's truth on the topic and it was never spoken about or alluded to since -- that was definitely by design.

It was the early "days" of the conservatorship, it was always first "interview" since being put into a conservatorship. Prior to the filming, she appeared very professional so they probably didn't worry about what she would say.

Like many docu, they get real raw footages and then a team edit everything out. They probably discover most of what was said once the docu aired. 

And let's be honest, even though she said some concerning stuffs there (about how she feels like a prisoner and how sad she is), most of us "moved on" from all these words she said. Back then, the comeback hype etc kind of made some of us not paying much more attention to what she said until now with the #FreeBritney movement.

Archived