Elton John says "chart music isn't real music"

17 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I had to stop reading the comments after seeing what some of you *****s are saying about Elton. Like it or not Elton is a legend and if you don’t know who he is I have to question your taste in music  :lollipop:

I look at it this way...when people were up in arms about Adele winning Album of the year and beyoncé not winning...you have to look at how many writers were on Beyoncé’s songs vs Adeles. Beyonce on average had 6 vs adele with one or two :yaknow:

I’m not gonna downplay his importance in music or the talent he has. There’s no question about either of those things. What I do question why he literally only speaks positive about male artists and trashes/drags female artists. As a gay man I’ve noticed this to be a sickening thing amongst the gay community. He only solidifies this by commenting the only real artist was Conan Gray. Meanwhile Taylor just made her best and most critically acclaimed album, where she WRITES and PLAYS everything.... yet he can’t pay her the respect she deserves as well as the many other talented female writers/artists on that list. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, SupTJ said:

Sorry sis but Elton ain't jealous of anyone hes Elton 

He's been a nasty bitter old queen for years and everyone knows it haha. He's been jealous of Madonna's success for decades. He's jealous he's not as big as the people who are actually having success. He can stay mad, he hasn't been relative in prob 25 years.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JonJon92 said:

I’m not gonna downplay his importance in music or the talent he has. There’s no question about either of those things. What I do question why he literally only speaks positive about male artists and trashes/drags female artists. As a gay man I’ve noticed this to be a sickening thing amongst the gay community. He only solidifies this by commenting the only real artist was Conan Gray. Meanwhile Taylor just made her best and most critically acclaimed album, where she WRITES and PLAYS everything.... yet he can’t pay her the respect she deserves as well as the many other talented female writers/artists on that list. 

Why does he have to do that when everyone already adores her and kisses her arse? I’m not denying what you are saying but throwing Taylor into this conversation isn’t helping. No one knows Conan Gray is. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Why does he have to do that when everyone already adores her and kisses her arse? I’m not denying what you are saying but throwing Taylor into this conversation isn’t helping. No one knows Conan Gray is. 

I was using her as an example. He made the comment that no one else on the list was writing their own stuff and that’s just completely not true.  

2012 Madonna has no f'n chance of winning the golden globe.

Madonna wins the golden globe, starting off a year that Elton said horrible things to her 

Madonna tour is a flop.

Madonna has the highest grossing tour at 54 in 2012.

Madonna should stop doing dance music. 

MDNA wins best dance Album at the 2013 bbmas, as well as best dance artist at the same ceremony where she won top touring artist. Oddly, Madonna was the only artist to have that award televised, part of it was due to plug her upcoming Epix special of the tour. 

Others didn't have that award televised.

Elton is just a hater.

Madonna even said shadily, he's known to say mean things about me, but he'll win other awards and artists shouldn't seek Justice out for awards. They should be honored to be nominated. Meaning the best of the best. But as usual one arrust wins. And the swords are out to kill cos the judging was bad. 

• Love 2

It is completely valid to say you are not interested in music that requires a whole team to produce. But to say it is not "real music" is just pretentious. Each musical genre was created because a part of the society needed to express something, and they created their music with the things they had, and that way, it has been evolving into all the different genres we have now. There's something for everyone, and it's perfectly fine if you don't understand or like a certain genre, maybe it was not created for you. It does not mean it's not "real music". 

Not every type of music require the same technique, or is done the same way. Not all music is supposed to be "academic", or even have deep lyrics. Let's not forget, even Mozart had lyrics like "lick my ***".  

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I mean if Katy Perry’s last release says anything, he’s right. Music aimed to be chart successful with a whole team behind it DOES kind of have a more manufactured feel to it now. 

Didn’t even Beyoncé lament that no makes albums any more as every one is obsessed with making chart singles that burn out fast. I know she as well has a lot of co-writers (an example that proves Elton wrong a little bit). 

listen, I think Elton is just bad at articulating his point. If you like only bops that’s aren’t complicated that can be easily forgotten, you do you. Your in the market and I’m happy you’re being served. But let’s not pretend pumping out impersonal singles to stay relevant is the same thing has presenting a song that took time and may belong to a body of work that comes more from the artist and isn’t as affected by outside forces.

16 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I had to stop reading the comments after seeing what some of you *****s are saying about Elton. Like it or not Elton is a legend and if you don’t know who he is I have to question your taste in music  :lollipop:

I look at it this way...when people were up in arms about Adele winning Album of the year and beyoncé not winning...you have to look at how many writers were on Beyoncé’s songs vs Adeles. Beyonce on average had 6 vs adele with one or two :yaknow:

Drag me KING :gobaby:

• Haha 1
On 8/28/2020 at 5:03 AM, Cedar Lane said:

I agree to an extent but yes. I see some of y’all are mad because sometimes music is just fun and who cares who wrote what. (I said before, good pop music is more delivery than anything). But for Elton, it was just him and his one co-writer. No auto tune. Touring all the time and making undeniable hits.  Now he’s seeing people not put in that work and get great success while others who put in more don’t because they aren’t managed by scooter Braun. Not saying it’s bad to like some vapid music (I love it too) but I empathize with him and that frustration. 

also while I love the ok boomer reply, it just tells me y’all are salty cause it’s rings a little true. I mean the only pop act that comes to mind who charts well and does what he wants is Taylor Swift. 

tenor.gif

16 hours ago, JonJon92 said:

This was just a few months ago... 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/elton-john-says-rina-sawayamas-debut-record-is-his-favourite-album-of-the-year-2689751

• Love 1
On 8/27/2020 at 5:50 PM, Jordan Miller said:

elton.jpg.efef31220831b74e3c562d76b75ad1db.jpg

Music icon Elton John declares "chart music isn't real music," and I'm having trouble seeing the lies. :tiffcackle:

“I like people who write songs. And there’s plenty of people that do but a lot of them don’t get played on the radio because they’re too sophisticated and we get songs made by a computer all the time and I’m not interested in that,” he tells Rolling Stone

John also showed some love for an up-and-comer.

“There’s also a boy called Conan Gray who is the only person in the American Spotify Top 50 to actually write a song without anybody else. For everybody else there’s four or five writers on a track."

Exhale, do you agree with Elton? I do to a certain degree. When artists churn out these 2-minute tracks or do so just to try and land a #1 on the 200 chart, it's a little cringe. 

Egocentric, bitter, jelous, and misogynist. Nobody cares about his opinion.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

lana del rey yes GIF

If you look at her other records its the same thing. 4-7 writers per song. Run the world, 7/11, etc. Then people wonder why she never wins Album of the year :blol:

I'm pretty sure Bey's won more Grammys than all of your faves combined so she's doing just fine without the Album of the Year :cardi: which is a joke anyway, everybody and even Adele herself their mother knows LEMONADE was is and always will be the superior album :rihstare:

• Haha 1

But I understand where he's coming from, But the music industry is different today. 

Music is mostly computer based, with the exception of a rock band and Taylor Swift. 

Most music is keyboards and synthesizers. Sometimes when an acoustic version is released It makes me think if they have to put an analog version just to prove they have talent and it's all not computer based. 

But it's also a different era. 20 to 30 years ago, we allowed music to be political and the thought process was the same. 

But I would say when The chicks did the anti Bush comments and Madonna's American Life video which depicted the reality and the consequences of war, it seemed like a shift Happened. More Music became party music and country music became the ultimate political Music preferred. 

12 hours ago, Britney'sBish said:

I can't with all the people bringing up Taylor Swift.

She only had consistent mainstream success thanks to Max Martin and Shellback (She never had a number 1 prior to them).

It's only now she's got the coins to make Payola work without them.

Sorry but Taylor has been consistent the whole time. Yes 1989 was phenomenal but so were all her albums. With or without Max. Shes a chart topper and you cant take that away from her even if you dislike her. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block