Elton John says "chart music isn't real music"

52 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I don't think he wrote those songs with the intention of trying to be #1. He was just that influential. 

He didn't want The Lion King soundtrack to do well? It's a Disney movie. And he didn't think the Lady Diana song would get attention? It was a huge occasion. Whether he wrote them to be hits on the charts or not, they were, so to say that music that does well on charts isn't real music is stupid because some of his own songs would apply to that.

7 minutes ago, Phonography423 said:

What exactly is wrong with having multiple songwriters? That’s the point of collaborating. If it was like 6-10 names on a 3 minute song then sure but I feel like he’s always finding something to complain about. 

I don't think that's much the problem, but for what I understand, what he says is that guy whoever he is, apparently does great music, on his own. So, you would expect that if a song has 5 times that people collaborating on it, it should be 5 times more of a masterpiece than the song the solo guy did, but clearly that's not the case most of the times.

Tbh, I don't even know who's charting and who isn't. Years ago I stopped liking any of the new songs or new artists that were coming up. Every now and then I give it a try to some random song, especially thanks to Exhale, but nothing has really stuck with me. So I can't really bash anyone, however despite what people may say that art is subjective or that anybody is entitled to like whatever they want, of course we all are, we can't ignore that in terms of musical composition there ARE metrics, forms, techniques, that can be measured, that can be analyzed, that represent a different degree of complexity, in terms of music, or vocals, or arrangement, etc, so someone that does know about that can really emit an objective judgement to say whether a song is bad or not. Again, I can't talk about it, because I don't even know which the top songs are, nor I know about music in a deep way.

3 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I agree to a certain extent, but Elton sounds bitter he’s not charting anymore. If he were still charting he’d probably be singing a different tune :nicki2:

At this point I really don’t think he cares 😂

He’s got a point, not many artists are actually artists, they’re just industry mediums 

3 hours ago, Cheshire-B said:

happy britney spears GIF by X Factor Global

I can't with this kind of phrases "not real music", like how is it not real ? What's the definition of real music ? It's like saying some people aren't "real artists" it's so so dumb. So "real" music needs to be written by one person, played on a piano and something deep and meaningfull ? LOL I can't... 

Commercial music is a thing and it's real music, sometimes it's very good sometimes it's very bad but it's real. And what's the problem with having 4 writters on one song ? 

I can't with him seriously... 

and I guess he fits right into his definition of "real music" ? :blol:

Can't he shut his mouth already ? 

Anyway, on my way to listen to some "fake" music ! :shadelaugh:

Preach it, sis 🙌🏼

• Love 2

When you google Elton John song writing credits, the first name that comes up is his main writer, Bernie Taupin...so I hear him. But I also don’t. Maybe I don’t know enough because I don’t listen to him at all, but is he known for his song writing even?

I agree to an extent but yes. I see some of y’all are mad because sometimes music is just fun and who cares who wrote what. (I said before, good pop music is more delivery than anything). But for Elton, it was just him and his one co-writer. No auto tune. Touring all the time and making undeniable hits.  Now he’s seeing people not put in that work and get great success while others who put in more don’t because they aren’t managed by scooter Braun. Not saying it’s bad to like some vapid music (I love it too) but I empathize with him and that frustration. 

also while I love the ok boomer reply, it just tells me y’all are salty cause it’s rings a little true. I mean the only pop act that comes to mind who charts well and does what he wants is Taylor Swift. 

• Like 1

I had to stop reading the comments after seeing what some of you *****s are saying about Elton. Like it or not Elton is a legend and if you don’t know who he is I have to question your taste in music  :lollipop:

I look at it this way...when people were up in arms about Adele winning Album of the year and beyoncé not winning...you have to look at how many writers were on Beyoncé’s songs vs Adeles. Beyonce on average had 6 vs adele with one or two :yaknow:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block