Why did Fifth Harmony flop without Camila Cabello?

Agreed that one issue was that Camila was the lead vocalist on their first two albums.  She had the majority of the material so of course it was going to sound like something was missing when she was gone because it changed so much.

I mostly think the problem was the label not funding them.  I think they put out "Down" and after it wasn't as big as "Work From Home" (which yes they were trying to copy) the label realized that yes it was a sinking ship and gave them the littlest budget.  The videos were so basic.  The tour looked so cheap.  They even stated they had to fight to create a video for "Don't say you love me" cause the label didn't want to do it but they wanted to give their fans a last video. They were like this is going to end lets spend as little as possible.

Maybe the label saw all the behind the scenes drama and realized this and that's why they stopped supporting them but I 100% think if they were given a proper budget and the label support they would have done better.  I love that last album..."Angel" is such a badass song!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BONO Productions said:

agree with this. Camila was the crowd favorite and has the most distinguished voice among the members. 

Removing Camila was like removing your strongest pokemon while youre battling the Elite Four.

It also tarnished their girl-group bond or sister like friendship image so maybe the GP lost interest.

Yessss also even in down in the last chorus one them even sound Camilla ish kinda sorta. ..n I was huh is Camilla back. Camilla had  such an Identifiable voice they couldn’t replace whether you liked it or not ..she was tooo much of the it girl of that group...for that group to recover without her. Sad I started to really like 5th harmony around work but ohwell . 😭💔

• Like 1

I think idea of a group was wrong from the beginning. They put 5 diff and talented girls in a group and tried to make them popular. But even in a xfactor it was comments like Camilla was the only who delievered-i remember Demi said smth like that after 1 of the performances. It is def made tension between them. Also i don't think all of them r for the show bussiness. For example i do not see Lauren as a star even if she is talented. And i am not trying to shade her it is just a vibe i got from her. Also Dinah has amazing voice but looks like she doesn't know what to do with it. I would love too see more Normany. She is very likable. And Ally gives me smth like Nicole pcd vibes. So both of them has that potential as i see. I think their team needs to work more so they can have successfull solo careers . It is difficult bc not all solo acts out of the groups can get success. Beyonce might be the only example of a huge success. I might not remember others.

• Super Mods
3 hours ago, BONO Productions said:

What happened to Camila and Fifth Harmony also happened to the legendary kpop girl group Girls Generation back in 2014

when SM Entertainment released a statement that Jessica decided to leave but Jessica said she had no idea she was kicked out of the group. 

The only difference was both Jessica and Girls Generation didn't flopped and had longevity with their careers while Fifth Harmony flopped after Camila's departure.

I think it's Girls Generation's bond as a group that saved them from disbandment. They established a sister-like friendship to each other so there's chemistry, there's actual harmony.

I agree with this. Camila was the crowd favorite and has the most distinguished voice among the members. 

Removing Camila was like removing your strongest pokemon while youre battling the Elite Four.

It also tarnished their girl-group bond or sister like friendship image so maybe the GP lost interest.

SM and YG are literally the shadiest labels I swear. Similar thing happened to 2ne1 (and we all know 2ne1 and snsd ******* owned kpop). Park Bon's contract was terminated over a scandal that was proven to be made up. Once ppl found out, they checked out. Im so happy Bom has a good career now tbh :mhm:

I think she was their group’s Beyoncé....she was always pushed to the front and her voice stood out imo. Work from home is there biggest track and her vocals on it are 🔥 however I think all girl groups are bound to break up, but she left too soon and the drama that followed ruined it for everyone. Normani is the only one with a shot now at being successful on her own imo.   Unfortunately the rest I don’t see as much and Camila hasn’t left dramaville.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BONO Productions said:

I think it's Girls Generation's bond as a group that saved them from disbandment. They established a sister-like friendship to each other so there's chemistry, there's actual harmony.

Jessica was popular, Taeyeon was the queen of the group :queenflopga: Also, the kpop industry is very different from the American one, so there is no comparison.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

SM and YG are literally the shadiest labels I swear. Similar thing happened to 2ne1 (and we all know 2ne1 and snsd ******* owned kpop). Park Bon's contract was terminated over a scandal that was proven to be made up. Once ppl found out, they checked out. Im so happy Bom has a good career now tbh :mhm:

Park Bom was involved in an illegal narcotics scandal in Korea. Society in that country is very correct and conservative, so YG wanted to get away from that news and left 2ne1 :nicki2: However, it was Minzy who left first :imacat:
The point is, all the members who released songs flop. Yes, Park Bom sold well the first week after her album was released, but then it all fell apart and she hasn't had a successful performance again. Minzy sued her agency because they don't give her her due support, and CL passed her comeback without pain or glory.
I do not blame them, and it is that in the kpop industry if you have many years of career, you are a woman and especially if you are over 30 years old it is almost impossible for you to be successful again :wontcry:

I think it's obvious: they HATED each other. You cannot succeed in the long run if you don't love the people you work with.
Plus, all of them had strong personalities.
I also believe that once Camila left, the remaining girls were trying too hard, and were definitely pety. No one wants that, pop music should be fun and positive.

• Like 1

By the way, their last, self-titled album reminded me of Kylie's "Fever" in the sense that it was all very cohesive and minimalistic, both in sound and with the graphic design. I appreciated that. But did you notice the blurring or doubling effect on the cover? I looooove how it looks, especially with that palette, but you can't really tell how many of them there are at first glance, which I thought was a smart move from their team after Camila's departure and the decision of keeping the original band's name. But it also seemed a little desperate to me:

Fifth_Harmony_-_Fifth_Harmony_(Official_

Because Camila was what made the group POP in the first place. Even back during their X Factor performances, they tried the "Lauren as lead" front and center mix.

X-Factor (Lauren as lead):

Fifth Harmony "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" - Live ...

The X Factor Journey | Fifth Harmony Wiki | Fandom

The X Factor USA News: Fifth Harmony Covers Rihanna 'Stay' (VIDEO ...

Fifth Harmony's "Stronger" - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube

Their first EP with "Miss Movin On" was a minor success, considering they didn't even win X-Factor, and I think was more success than they bargained for at the time, and won them a small but hardcore fanbase.

Even then, post-Miss Movin On, with Reflection. They tried Normani as lead with "BO$$" - I adore Normani, but they achieved their first true pop success with Sledgehammer, where Camila was finally front and center, and the lead, and it seemed like they got it right. Camila just has that extra bit of sass...and is more distinctive than the rest (with the exception of Normani).

Sledgehammer (sassy Camila as lead):

Fifth Harmony GIFs

Fifth Harmony "Sledgehammer" Music Video: ohnotheydidnt — LiveJournal

Worth It (Camila sang most of the vocals and is in the center of most performances)

Worth It Dance GIF - WorthIt Dance Girls - Discover & Share GIFs

Once Camila was pushed to the front a bit more with the formation and vocals (which they started to do on Reflection) they saw more chart success.

5 hours ago, britbratt12 said:

I think she was their group’s Beyoncé....she was always pushed to the front and her voice stood out imo. Work from home is there biggest track and her vocals on it are 🔥 however I think all girl groups are bound to break up, but she left too soon and the drama that followed ruined it for everyone. Normani is the only one with a shot now at being successful on her own imo.   Unfortunately the rest I don’t see as much and Camila hasn’t left dramaville.

Camila was to headline Coachella this year but Covid-19 pandemic canceled it. 

camila-cabello-performs-at-bbc-biggest-w

#Camchella

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

By the way, their last, self-titled album reminded me of Kylie's "Fever" in the sense that it was all very cohesive and minimalistic, both in sound and with the graphic design. I appreciated that. But did you notice the blurring or doubling effect on the cover? I looooove how it looks, especially with that palette, but you can't really tell how many of them there are at first glance, which I thought was a smart move from their team after Camila's departure and the decision of keeping the original band's name. But it also seemed a little desperate to me:

Fifth_Harmony_-_Fifth_Harmony_(Official_

theres nothing minimalistic about that cover its messy af lol it's more pop art but they did it badly

51 minutes ago, waynebradybyday said:

Because Camila was what made the group POP in the first place. Even back during their X Factor performances, they tried the "Lauren as lead" front and center mix.

X-Factor (Lauren as lead):

Fifth Harmony "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" - Live ...

The X Factor Journey | Fifth Harmony Wiki | Fandom

The X Factor USA News: Fifth Harmony Covers Rihanna 'Stay' (VIDEO ...

Fifth Harmony's "Stronger" - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube

Their first EP with "Miss Movin On" was a minor success, considering they didn't even win X-Factor, and I think was more success than they bargained for at the time, and won them a small but hardcore fanbase.

Even then, post-Miss Movin On, with Reflection. They tried Normani as lead with "BO$$" - I adore Normani, but they achieved their first true pop success with Sledgehammer, where Camila was finally front and center, and the lead, and it seemed like they got it right. Camila just has that extra bit of sass...and is more distinctive than the rest (with the exception of Normani).

Sledgehammer (sassy Camila as lead):

Fifth Harmony GIFs

Fifth Harmony "Sledgehammer" Music Video: ohnotheydidnt — LiveJournal

Worth It (Camila sang most of the vocals and is in the center of most performances)

Worth It Dance GIF - WorthIt Dance Girls - Discover & Share GIFs

Once Camila was pushed to the front a bit more with the formation and vocals (which they started to do on Reflection) they saw more chart success.

I actually think you got it all wrong. They weren't "trying" to push anybody in the front, they were trying to give everyone the chance to shine, seeing as each of them had their own singing parts, ad-libs, sass, and it was bound that in different songs, some people would sing less, and others more. They were definitely steering away from being a "*****cat Dolls" kinda group, since all of them were at a singing competition trying to be a star, not background singers.

But my opinion: I think only three of them had any chance to succeed

Camila Cabello: Most feminine, petite, cutesy distinctive voice. Personally, I dislike her. She seems the pettiest, victimizing herself (wolf in sheep's clothing) under the hoods of i'm the smallest, the one that needs protection, but is actually the meanest (and racist one). 

What she's missing: Identity. She really looks up to Taylor Swift and is trying to mimic the businesswoman that Taylor is. (the bearding game is strong with this one) Her music so far has been one-trick pony

Lauren Jauregui: She has the huskiest, seductive voice, most beautiful of them all (imo), very strong and opinionated personality (talking about being anti-vaccine was not a good look)

Personal opinion about her: I think she will outlive the rest of them cause she knows who she is, she doesn't want to do pop and doesn't seem fame hungry and she seems she's enjoying flying low under the radar and just releasing some bops here and there (and I guess making money with smaller gigs)

Normani: Amazing in one word with looks and being real, and actually seems the sweetest. I don't know why she's not succeeding, but maybe the material she picks just isn't ringing with the general public? 

Other two: // Don't know them 

tenor.gif

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block