Rita Ora accused of blackfishing

So what? Wigs, braids and wax printed clothes can only be worn by black people now?
What about black people getting their hair straighten, does it mean they try to appropriate white culture?
Do they only should wear boubou, and asian people only dress with kimonos? 

That's insane to think like that nowadays... It almost like saying girls shouldn't wear pants.
 This only contribute to divise people...

16 hours ago, Britneylandia said:

Honestly I tried to understand this and read about it every time some celebrity gets criticized or “cancelled” because of this and still doesn’t make any sense to me, sorry.

It’s not about cancelling anyone. It’s about being aware of the issues affecting a certain demographic within one of her markets. 

17 hours ago, IAmBorg said:

Why? Europeans are entitled to their own views and way of living. Why should Americans decide how the rest of the world should be. 

But I do think that if you are intentionally in the American market you should not do this. But yeah that’s a given. If you want to work somewhere you adjust to the local customs.  

I agree with you. Everybody has the right to live their lives as they wish. However, this is about a public figure doing something that can appear to be demeaning in some of the places where she is being marketed. She has the responsibility of considering the repercussions of her actions.

The degree of ignorance of some people here is impressive, as demonstrated not because of their views but because of their bigotry. Toxic people in a toxic place. 

7 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

If ANYONE is blackfishing, it would be Ariana Grande. She literally went frop being white and pale as **** on Victorious to being almost completely dark?! Yet nobody talks about that cause they like her. Hypocrism at its best. I like her music too but nobody has done it as bad as Ariana...

Kind of like Mariah when she first came out ... everyone tought she was white, until she divorced tommy and started doing r&b music. 

3 hours ago, ToySoldier12 said:

I agree with you. Everybody has the right to live their lives as they wish. However, this is about a public figure doing something that can appear to be demeaning in some of the places where she is being marketed. She has the responsibility of considering the repercussions of her actions.

The degree of ignorance of some people here is impressive, as demonstrated not because of their views but because of their bigotry. Toxic people in a toxic place. 

how is it demeaning when people get those hair styles because they like them?I see it more like appreciation.it would be another case if white people were trying to claim those hair styles, yeah, that would be pretty bad.but it's not like that.those hair styles have a special meaning for black people, yeah, (as far as I know it was about loyalty or something like that, correct me if I'm wrong) but at the end of the day, they are just hair styles.imo it's a very traditionalist approach to get mad over hair.

23 hours ago, Towelney said:

Someone explained this better than I could, so I’m just going to quote them :)

”Also I would just like people to consider the fact that in the US hair styles that are traditionally associated with black people are often banned from schools and workplaces, considered unprofessional and dirty. That’s why it’s a problem. A white woman wears it for fashion while it is literally a part of black history and culture and if a black person showed up to school/work with their natural hair or a traditional style they would be asked to leave.

Until the playing field is levelled it will still be considered controversial.“

that's the real issue, the real problem that has to be solved.nothing wrong with cultures picking up things from one another.we all should fight for everyone and every race that has been discriminated in any way.the focus should be here.

• Love 2

I don’t get this. For one thing, I never thought Rita was black, not even mixed, I’m not sure why ppl ever thought that. I don’t think she was trying to “blackfish”, and if that ever was, it’s not the case anymore. For the first part of her career, she was managed by Jay-Z and his label, they had no issues with these styles. If Rita was trying to say she came up with this hairstyle and take credit for it, that would be a problem but she’s not. 

I understand the argument for cultural appropriation, but what’s the answer? White ppl are never allowed to participate in other cultures? Doesn’t that just segregate us again? For now, the majority of the US is still white, around 73%. If white people didn’t like and participate in these other cultures to some extent, they could never be “mainstream.” If white ppl weren’t listening to Beyonce and Jay-Z they wouldn’t be as popular and successful as they are. I understand it’s definitely important to acknowledge how much black culture (and other cultures) have influenced and created so many amazing things, and to not treat it like a costume or trend, but I don’t think completely saying certain ppl can’t do certain things because of race is the answer. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ToySoldier12 said:

I think we are saying the same thing though. If you work in America you should adjust. 

But yeah, People in general need to be more excepting to other peoples opinions. Having a different Opinion doesn’t make you a bad person. It might be just the internet but I feel like this is were we’re heading towards: “Everyone who thinks different is bad/evil and deserves to be attacked”. But we should just remember that the people who Think different from us are just normal people Like us who love their kids just as much as us and are just doing what they think is right like us. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ToySoldier12 said:

It’s not about cancelling anyone. It’s about being aware of the issues affecting a certain demographic within one of her markets. 

You didn’t understand me, I said that every time someone gets “cancelled” because of this matter I tried to read and understand this “cultural appropriation” thing and I still don’t get it, I’ll never see where is the problem of people doing their hair or wearing clothes the way they want. It’s about fighting for black people (and other discriminated groups) to have equal rights, not about saying which hairstyles shouldn’t be used lol. I refuse to believe any hairstyle or piece of clothing is owned by anyone or any group of people, it’s just stupid. We are all human, I don’t get why everyone wants to make everything about race.

Americans are really obsessed with this matter, in Europe no one cares about this dumb stuff.

Racism is a BIG problem in this world but the way you do your hair isn’t a problem AT ALL, who cares? Lol. “But black people can’t go to work or to school with their natural hair” Ok, so let’s support them and help them to fight to make a change where they can do it!

Let’s fight to have equal rights and let’s not tolerate racism in any form, stop arguing about dumb stuff like who can or cannot rock any type of hairstyle lol. It’s just hair and clothing...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block