Why did ''Stronger'' only peak at #11 in the US?

3 minutes ago, YannFrance said:

Yeah you're right. Everytime peaked at # 15, still great considering Rnb and urban music was the **** at the time. 

I just hope Team Britney would get their **** together on Britney's next album, they have to plan airplay strategies, physical release and innovative promotions. The Britney brand will always be strong but without proper planning her sales will continue to flop, from Britney Jean to present

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BONO Productions said:

I just hope Team Britney would get their **** together on Britney's next album, they have to plan airplay strategies, physical release and innovative promotions. The Britney brand will always be strong but without proper planning her sales will continue to flop, from Britney Jean to present

Agree. They need to use Tik Tok as a promotional tool next era, it's huge within the younger generation (these who actually stream the most)

I find it funny when people talk about a song not being radio friendly. I don't know how it works in the US or what are their standards or what, but at least here in Mexico, as long as a song was popular on MTV or Telehit or any other tv channel, you would definitely hear it on all the radio stations (that played both Spanish and English songs).

You would even hear non single tracks at the super market and malls, like Bombastic Love, What U See, etc. :yaknow:

1 minute ago, PokemonSpears said:

I find it funny when people talk about a song not being radio friendly. I don't know how it works in the US or what are their standards or what, but at least here in Mexico, as long as a song was popular on MTV or Telehit or any other tv channel, you would definitely hear it on all the radio stations (that played both Spanish and English songs).

You would even hear non single tracks at the super market and malls, like Bombastic Love, What U See, etc. :yaknow:

In the US it mostly works with radio deals (payola) , if you don't have it it's almost impossible to have a radio hit. Nothing to do with the song itself actually. Stronger was a smash in a few European countries.

Lol her US chart positions at that time were weird. YDMC also only just got into the top 10 (peaked at #10) and Oops peaked at #9. 

As for Stronger, I always thought it just fell short of having enough radio airplay. Iirc, it topped the Billboard Hot Singles Sales chart which was based on the sales of physical singles alone. 

56 minutes ago, YannFrance said:

Britney used to tour with Clear Channel Entertainment (iHeart Media today), up until DWAD where the promoter was Concerts West (AEG Live btw).

The only problem in all of that is that CCE owned (owns) almost all radio stations in the US, so for switching parties she was banned from the US radio from late 2001 (a couple of weeks after DWAD's opening and Slave's release I think) till MATM's release.

Actually I'm pretty sure the ban was lifted around the time of Toxic's release. MATM only performed moderately in the US (#39). 

1 hour ago, BONO Productions said:

OIDIA peaked at #9 because they released it only as an airplay single instead of the more common and competitive physical CD format.

If it had a physical release it would definitely secure the top spot knowing that it's Baby One More time 2.0

Back then Jive considered Britney as an album artist and thought it was more profitable to sell albums than singles, therefore, they chose not to release physical singles and pushed people to buy albums instead. I honestly think it worked. 

36 minutes ago, Isla said:

Lol her US chart positions at that time were weird. YDMC also only just got into the top 10 (peaked at #10) and Oops peaked at #9. 

As for Stronger, I always thought it just fell short of having enough radio airplay. Iirc, it topped the Billboard Hot Singles Sales chart which was based on the sales of physical singles alone. 

Crazy, sometimes, oops, lucky didn't have physical singles released, and they managed to peaked somewhat high based on radio plays. Broken heart got physical CDs, but the radio play was not good.

58 minutes ago, YannFrance said:

In the US it mostly works with radio deals (payola) , if you don't have it it's almost impossible to have a radio hit. Nothing to do with the song itself actually. Stronger was a smash in a few European countries.

Anyway, the majority of public know most of her earlier singles without great chart performances, which proves her impact. 

24 minutes ago, runpiggierun said:

Crazy, sometimes, oops, lucky didn't have physical singles released, and they managed to peaked somewhat high based on radio plays. Broken heart got physical CDs, but the radio play was not good.

Yeah I always found it random that FTBOMBH did as well as it did in the US (not top 10, but it got to #14 which was impressive). It is interesting how Jive marketed her back then. Did they do the same for their other artists? 

2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

She's more popular there. 

Accept in 2002 :yesokay:

3 hours ago, BONO Productions said:

OIDIA peaked at #9 because they released it only as an airplay single instead of the more common and competitive physical CD format.

If it had a physical release it would definitely secure the top spot knowing that it's Baby One More time 2.0

it was actually a smart strategy for people to buy the album :imcute:

9 hours ago, Avatar said:

It's wasnt radio friendly, the Britards will have you believe that every song before Pretty Girls were international number 1 hits in every country. :wonka:

It honestly only peaked that high because of the physical singles sells. 

While I love the song, production wise it wasn't appropriate for what was getting radio play at the time. Her vocals are overproduced and she was already getting backlash for her declining singing ability, lipsyncing and use of vocal effects. This was before heavy use autotune and vocal effects were accepted outside of dance music.

well, her singles from 1998-2005 charted quite horribly in the US, and WW they were top 10 everywhere (especially the ones from 'Britney' 'ITZ' and even My Prerogative.

and in 2008-2012 somehow she was always top 10 in the US :wonka:

Just now, conceptuel said:

it was actually a smart strategy for people to buy the album :imcute:

well, her singles from 1998-2005 charted quite horribly in the US, and WW they were top 10 everywhere (especially the ones from 'Britney' 'ITZ' and even My Prerogative.

and in 2008-2012 somehow she was always top 10 in the US :wonka:

The US didnt appreciate her musically until 2007. Then all the undercover fans supported her on radio and downloaded Blackout for free. :calculating:

11 hours ago, Avatar said:

It's wasnt radio friendly, the Britards will have you believe that every song before Pretty Girls were international number 1 hits in every country. :wonka:

It honestly only peaked that high because of the physical singles sells. 

While I love the song, production wise it wasn't appropriate for what was getting radio play at the time. Her vocals are overproduced and she was already getting backlash for her declining singing ability, lipsyncing and use of vocal effects. This was before heavy use autotune and vocal effects were accepted outside of dance music.

When I was a kid I thought boys and I love rock n roll were number 1 everywhere... so delusional 

5 hours ago, BONO Productions said:

it's all about streaming nowadays ( spotify, apple music, youtube viewers ... etc ) 

they need to work on that

her numbers are very weak

Archived