Vogue: the story behind Britney Spears' iconic "Oops!... I Did It Again" outfit

I remember watching MTV's "Making the Video" and the costume designers talking to her about the red catsuit, how it was going to be ready for the next day because they had it in black but that would be just like Madonna's in "Human Nature". Where is that footage? MTV was spilling so much free tea with that show...

6 hours ago, 5HINee said:

I thought (actually read) a camera fell onto her face whilst she lay down, not a lamp. so what's the truth?

Yeah, it was a camera.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

I always hated the black shoes, though, and I'm surprised that no one told her to use another pair, or paint them red so they would match.

00_story-7.gif

while I do think they look kind of weird, now that you mention they should've painted them red, THAT would've looked very silly. Actually any other color would've lol

3 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I got to see the iconic outfit in Vegas :yesplease: 

IMG_1587.jpg

it was like seeing the Holy Grail of pop music

Could they have chosen a more flatter/skinnier mannequin ?  :orangu: 

It really shows how iconic Britney made such a simple latex jumpsuit :) 

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
10 hours ago, 5HINee said:

I thought (actually read) a camera fell onto her face whilst she lay down, not a lamp. so what's the truth?

It’s a Matte Box, the accordion style thing in front of the camera. They were doing the overhead shot with her on the plexiglass and the matte box was screwed on tightly so it slipped off and made a gash on her head. They had to send her to the ER to get stitches. They didn’t get any good footage so they had to reshoot it the next day, if you wanna follow the timeline on Making the video, it was to be shot after dinner. You can tell because Britney was talking about how she’s so excited to be going to dinner and finally taking off that suit and the next scene she just gonna be lying down. She says bye MTV and the next scene we see the crew after it had happened and Nigel asking if any of it was useable. The whole tone was serious, and I couldn’t believe Britney came back still with a smile on her face down playing the incident as a little accident. 

I went to film school and the cinematographers ingrained in our heads how important safety is on set and funny enough one of the lessons my professor taught us was looping a cable wire on everything. When we hook up the lights on rigs, we also hook on these wire cables around the beams and he said it’s a safety measure in case the screws get loose, at least you have the insurance that the wire would keep the light from landing on your poor colleague. He brought up the matte box too that he sees it happen all the time (he works in Hollywood) and demonstrated how the matte box can slip off when doing an overhead shot and when it went down, he told us that piece of metal can slice someone’s head falling several feet down. He then told us not to make this mistake as you can get fired on the spot because that’s not an excusable mistake as you are putting others especially actors at risk. 

• Love 6
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, puppylo16 said:

It’s a Matte Box, the accordion style thing in front of the camera. They were doing the overhead shot with her on the plexiglass and the matte box was screwed on tightly so it slipped off and made a gash on her head. They had to send her to the ER to get stitches. They didn’t get any good footage so they had to reshoot it the next day, if you wanna follow the timeline on Making the video, it was to be shot after dinner. You can tell because Britney was talking about how she’s so excited to be going to dinner and finally taking off that suit and the next scene she just gonna be lying down. She says bye MTV and the next scene we see the crew after it had happened and Nigel asking if any of it was useable. The whole tone was serious, and I couldn’t believe Britney came back still with a smile on her face down playing the incident as a little accident. 

I went to film school and the cinematographers ingrained in our heads how important safety is on set and funny enough one of the lessons my professor taught us was looping a cable wire on everything. When we hook up the lights on rigs, we also hook on these wire cables around the beams and he said it’s a safety measure in case the screws get loose, at least you have the insurance that the wire would keep the light from landing on your poor colleague. He brought up the matte box too that he sees it happen all the time (he works in Hollywood) and demonstrated how the matte box can slip off when doing an overhead shot and when it went down, he told us that piece of metal can slice someone’s head falling several feet down. He then told us not to make this mistake as you can get fired on the spot because that’s not an excusable mistake as you are putting others especially actors at risk. 

This is a super valuable piece of information, thanks for telling us all that... Wow... She really was at risk then. This reminds me of the Michael Jackson incident, early on in his solo career, at the shoot of his first Pepsi commercial, in which somehow his hair caught on fire. After that, his life definitely changed, there is no biography of him that doesn't mention this incident because it messed with his head and the way he perceived his body, or so I read. So I'm glad it didn'¿t get serious with Britney. Though now that I think about it... I guess the knee injury at the "Outrageous" shoot would be the equivalent for her, because it honestly went downhill from there for her if you ask me...

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
2 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

This is a super valuable piece of information, thanks for telling us all that... Wow... She really was at risk then. This reminds me of the Michael Jackson incident, early on in his solo career, at the shoot of his first Pepsi commercial, in which somehow his hair caught on fire. After that, his life definitely changed, there is no biography of him that doesn't mention this incident because it messed with his head and the way he perceived his body, or so I read. So I'm glad it didn'¿t get serious with Britney. Though now that I think about it... I guess the knee injury at the "Outrageous" shoot would be the equivalent for her, because it honestly went downhill from there for her if you ask me...

Yeah I think it’s the amount of hairspray and then not factoring that into the situation with fireworks. 

Britney’s situation is really dangerous too, she was lucky that she turned away in time and shielded her face with her arms as it could have  slashed her face or her eye. Britney was directly in front of the camera lying down, not as easy as running away. She had to get six or seven stitches on her forehead (luckily the hair covers it) Don’t forget she injured her knee during Sometimes first and the Outrageous injury was like the nail on the coffin :juggingu:

Both of them seem to just keep getting worked to the bone and with ****ty fathers. Where were they to make sure their child’s safety is a priority?

• Love 1
  • Like 2
  • Super Mods
8 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I always hated the black shoes, though, and I'm surprised that no one told her to use another pair, or paint them red so they would match.

00_story-7.gif

Funny...it never bothered me, still ugly anyways but that’s not important, she can wear the ugliest shoes if she continues dancing like this!

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Slave_4_u said:

I've read that too, but that would seriously injure potentially disfigure ones face so I really don't believe it.

It didn't fall on her face though it fell where her hair is and more than likely hit her hair and then fell right off. Nothing unbelievable about it. It was just piece of a camera anyway it wasn't the full thing.

1 hour ago, BritneySpurs said:

It didn't fall on her face though it fell where her hair is and more than likely hit her hair and then fell right off. Nothing unbelievable about it. It was just piece of a camera anyway it wasn't the full thing.

That makes more sense, I thought it fell on her face and though we were talking about a big camera. 

9 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

something similar happened to Madonna during 'Burning Up' video

'More than two decades later, the stylist says working with Spears was one of her wildest, most fun projects. She still admires the singer’s razor-sharp creativity when it comes to her own look and videos, and greatly attributes the success of “Oops!” to Spears’s initial vision. “Even with her little schoolgirl outfit [from “Baby One More Time,”] she's really set like a precedent for always coming out in something very memorable,” Stanley says. “People didn't expect it. She was still young and innocent, and then all of a sudden she comes out in this vixeny, ****, skin-tight outfit. She definitely knew what she wanted and what she liked—that’s what makes her Britney.” 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

00_story-7.gif

Fun fact - Nigel (the director) revealed a few months ago that they had matching red boots, and after one take Britney decided she didn’t want to wear them so she wore the platform skechers that she turned up to the shoot in  :OMGney:

• Love 3
12 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

Yeah I think it’s the amount of hairspray and then not factoring that into the situation with fireworks. 

Don’t forget she injured her knee during Sometimes first and the Outrageous injury was like the nail on the coffin :juggingu:

If I ever wrote a Michael Jackson biography I swear I would call it "Moonwalk & Hairspray: the Rise and Fall of the King of Pop" :haha: I mean in my head I can totally imagine him with his kids back then and one of them asking him "Daddy, why did everything went to s hit?" and him replying while gently patting his head "Hairspray, honey, hairspray....."

I had forgotten for a while about the "Sometimes" first knee injury!! There's so much herstory, you guys...

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, JackSProductions said:

Fun fact - Nigel (the director) revealed a few months ago that they had matching red boots, and after one take Britney decided she didn’t want to wear them so she wore the platform skechers that she turned up to the shoot in  :OMGney:

Right! But I'm sure it wasn't because of the color but because those black shoes must have been much more COMFORTABLE! I guess it was already too much struggle with the red latex haha