Christina Aguilera's 2008 VMA Performance in HQ is worth re-watching

Oh Christina...

She got SO much backlash because her mouth gets her in trouble.

All those times she was insecure and shady towards Britney for lip syncing, yet here she is doing it in an entire televised performance.

Then the Lady Gaga comparisons started, which you KNOW Perez and Gaga fueled that knowing Xtina would take the bait.

Which she did, and bit back with this lovely little quote.

”I’m not quite sure who this person is, to be honest. I don’t know if it is a man or a woman. I just wasn’t sure. I really don’t spend any time on the Internet, so I guess I live a little under a rock in that respect.”

https://ew.com/article/2010/05/18/christina-aguilera-lady-gaga-feud/

Gaga was blowing up, so there is no way that wasn't shade! lol

As for the Superhero gimmick I do believe that might have been her intention, but someone on her team must have been super shady to literally toss her in the Onyx outfit then style her hair similar to Gaga's look at the time.

Either she knew or it was a setup, but either way karma did catch up with her.

She seems so much more mellow, genuine, and cool now that her Diva attitude is gone!

I used to love every time she flopped, but I really wanna see her succeed now that she's eaten an entire humble pie!

23 minutes ago, Britney'sBish said:

Oh Christina...

She got SO much backlash because her mouth gets her in trouble.

All those times she was insecure and shady towards Britney for lip syncing, yet here she is doing it in an entire televised performance.

Then the Lady Gaga comparisons started, which you KNOW Perez and Gaga fueled that knowing Xtina would take the bait.

Which she did, and bit back with this lovely little quote.

”I’m not quite sure who this person is, to be honest. I don’t know if it is a man or a woman. I just wasn’t sure. I really don’t spend any time on the Internet, so I guess I live a little under a rock in that respect.”

https://ew.com/article/2010/05/18/christina-aguilera-lady-gaga-feud/

Gaga was blowing up, so there is no way that wasn't shade! lol

What is so bad about that quote? Lady is often used in Drag Queen names so she wasnt sure if it was a guy or a girl. She made comments ever since 2005 that she is pretty out of the loop with new music a  lot of the time. Even Lady Gaga said that at the time when Christina said that a lot of people didnt know her.

13 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

What is so bad about that quote? Lady is often used in Drag Queen names so she wasnt sure if it was a guy or a girl. She made comments ever since 2005 that she is pretty out of the loop with new music a  lot of the time. Even Lady Gaga said that at the time when Christina said that a lot of people didnt know her.

I'm sorry, Christina had more than enough media training to know better than to respond that way.

If you honestly can't see the shade in it, it's because you're always going to bat for her.

Just now, Britney'sBish said:

I'm sorry, Christina had more than enough media training to know better than to respond that way.

If you honestly can't see the shade in it, it's because you're always going to bat for her.

lol I dont. I literally got kicked off a Christina forum for critisizing her too much, I have critisized most of her career choices post 2006 and for the past year I have been critisizing her botched face, fat *** and unwillingness to improve. I have no problem critisizing my faves.

But I also know that Christina was preparing an album release and a small tour and generally has no idea what is going on around her. No media training in the world would have helped her. Im guessing she wanted to say that she didnt know who Lady Gaga was but then realized she didnt know the gender so she said "that person" instead of he or she and then she realized that sounded weird so she added that she didnt know the gender. I generally try not to assume that everything is meant as an insult especially if I only see it in written form. I have realized over the years that most people who dont know me are offended by most of my jokes online because they dont realize that im being sarcastic or just joking. Just reading something you can interpret a lot into it that isnt there. 

• Like 3

Wow it’s a really good performance!:meryl: I love the 70s-disco remixed genie in a bottle performance, really innovative:praisega: I used to jam to KGB and I really enjoyed that part too:meryell: her stage presence and visuals were very good too:lizzie:

However, wasn’t this the performance where people heavily compared her to Lady Gaga’s costumes and started the drama between the Xtina and little monster fandoms?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Wow it’s a really good performance!:meryl: I love the 70s-disco remixed genie in a bottle performance, really innovative:praisega: I used to jam to KGB and I really enjoyed that part too:meryell: her stage presence and visuals were very good too:lizzie:

However, wasn’t this the performance where people heavily compared her to Lady Gaga’s costumes and started the drama between the Xtina and little monster fandoms?

yeah thats whats been discussed for 3 pages lol :pieceofwhat:

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

lol I dont. I literally got kicked off a Christina forum for critisizing her too much, I have critisized most of her career choices post 2006 and for the past year I have been critisizing her botched face, fat *** and unwillingness to improve. I have no problem critisizing my faves.

But I also know that Christina was preparing an album release and a small tour and generally has no idea what is going on around her. No media training in the world would have helped her. Im guessing she wanted to say that she didnt know who Lady Gaga was but then realized she didnt know the gender so she said "that person" instead of he or she and then she realized that sounded weird so she added that she didnt know the gender. I generally try not to assume that everything is meant as an insult especially if I only see it in written form. I have realized over the years that most people who dont know me are offended by most of my jokes online because they dont realize that im being sarcastic or just joking. Just reading something you can interpret a lot into it that isnt there. 

I think I just feel differently about it because I saw the interview (I can't find the video for the life of me) and how she delivered it. It came across a little snotty (something she used to have a problem with, but damn has she eased up so much now!) and there isn't a lot ways to misconstrue that.

5 minutes ago, Britney'sBish said:

I think I just feel differently about it because I saw the interview (I can't find the video for the life of me) and how she delivered it. It came across a little snotty (something she used to have a problem with, but damn has she eased up so much now!) and there isn't a lot ways to misconstrue that.

I mean I think she was really pissed. Can you imagine wanting to be known as a vocalist like Whitney Houston and having your team market you after Britney who has completly different stregths than you? And when you finally think hey Britney and I are no longer being compared to each other (Because she wasnt compared to Britney during B2B era)  and you put out music that you are proud of and you are a decade into your career and then people start saying that you are a wannabe Lady Gaga and you dont even know who the **** that is? Maybe she said it snotty because she was pissed that after thinking that she was free from comparrisons someone started a new one.

I dont know. She could have just been a ***** but as someone who is like a human tea kettle and goes off really fast and almost always ends up regretting it I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. She could have been pissed for a minute and then been totally fine the next. We dont know these people. Its funny, cause Im pretty sure If Mariah Carey had said the same thing people would still be say "slay queen, epic shade"

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

I mean I think she was really pissed. Can you imagine wanting to be known as a vocalist like Whitney Houston and having your team market you after Britney who has completly different stregths than you? And when you finally think hey Britney and I are no longer being compared to each other (Because she wasnt compared to Britney during B2B era)  and you put out music that you are proud of and you are a decade into your career and then people start saying that you are a wannabe Lady Gaga and you dont even know who the **** that is? Maybe she said it snotty because she was pissed that after thinking that she was free from comparrisons someone started a new one.

I dont know. She could have just been a ***** but as someone who is like a human tea kettle and goes off really fast and almost always ends up regretting it I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. She could have been pissed for a minute and then been totally fine the next. We dont know these people. Its funny, cause Im pretty sure If Mariah Carey had said the same thing people would still be say "slay queen, epic shade"

You're not wrong.

I think people give Mariah a pass because she always been known as a bish. Plus she's done a lot of stupid things so she isn't taken seriously.

Christina has always been pretty well spoken, so when she does say something like that people are perched and quick to bite. I get her getting frustrated with the CONSTANT comparisons, but they continued because she fed into it and retaliated which started the spiral.

13 hours ago, ThisMeowBiteback said:

I disagree, Gaga didn’t dress like this, and am I the only who feels Gaga was never a good dancer? Christina nail this I just hated she didn’t prerecord her vocals. She knew better than that 

Gaga is not a great dancer I agree, but as a whole package, voice, dancer, entertainer, songwriter, she ticks every box, of course no one is 100% great at everything. I am not saying every detail was exactly the same, talking about general aesthetic, it gives strong Gaga vibes as did the whole bionic era. Electro, futuristic sound and feel. It was obvious she was going in a "The Fame" direction aesthetically. It was oozing Gaga, that's why comparisons came up. The general public didt start comparing for no reason. But yeah, respect your opinion and how you see it... Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

4 hours ago, Britney'sBish said:

I get her getting frustrated with the CONSTANT comparisons, but they continued because she fed into it and retaliated which started the spiral.

How exactly? Her first era her team was responsible for everything, then she released a spanish + xmas album which Britney didnt do and the second she had control she tried to be the opposite of Britney. She played a prostitute and sang Lady Marmalade and loved every second of it because she probably knew that it would set her apart from Britney who had this glamorous and effortlessly **** without trying image. Britney was seen as naturally beautiful and Christina ran around looking like a clown saying she prefered looking interesting over pretty, during the Dirrty shoot she kept saying how it has to be nasty and filthy looking (the opposite of Britney), she put out an emotional, vocally amazing album with little emphasis on dancing the whole era, then she put out a throwback album which is also not something that invites comparissons and she planned the "futuristic" themed album before Blackout was released.. So how did she feed into it? If you take away 2003-2004 (Im guessing something happened behind the scenes) then she has only had nice things to say about her so its not like Christina has been bashing her for 20+ years.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, ThisMeowBiteback said:

Is the aesthetics the bang & mask?:receipts2: And I guess since a bunch of bandwagon people thought she was copy every one went alone with it, because that’s all is see. I don’t think Gaga can perform like this but that’s just me. :gimmemoar:

thank god the internet is still full of these wonderful comparissons from back in the day

versus-christina-aguilera-vs-lady-gaga.jca-lg-1.jpgfind_the_difference_640_02.jpg

the funny thing is. People dragged Christina to filth because of a hairstyle but everyone ignores Gaga "copying"

(Btw im not an idiot I think these examples are just as stupid but if it was the other way around people would have dragged Christina)

gagacopyca2.jpgLady+Gaga+copia+a+Christina5.jpg

lady_gaga_copy_paste_01.jpglady_gaga_copy_paste_01.1.jpg

400full.jpgcopiaaaguilera.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 3

This is possibly my fave performance of Xtina!!!! i don t care about the lipsinc but she was so beautiful her body was in the best shape ever and love KGB and genie 2.0. amazign performance, love to see Britney seeing Xtina its a shame we dont have a close up.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block