Glory in retrospect

Illegally EATEN

8 minutes ago, HauntedCircus said:

I love some Hard Candy :mcry: It was the album that introduced me to Madge's iconic discography, that's probably why it remains as a favorite to me. I might be biased, but I don't think it is a bad album (and yes, I'm well aware that mine is an unpopular opinion).

I like Hard Candy as well. To be fair, I do believe all of Madonna's albums are great on their own. It just varies when you compare them to each other but HC is not at all a bad album. :barbie:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s probably top 3 or 4 for me. It’s just has such a good feeling throughout the album that reminds me of good times. Also I don’t know if it’s because we know she had more creative input on it, but i feel like I really hear her touch and personality on the album. It is incohesive, but I enjoy that, it’s very ITZ. The slightly raw sound gives it character for me. I do agree although a good song, mood ring has something unfinished about it. 

the cover is meh, there could of been something to better represent the album. Like the Make Me cover art 

2 hours ago, HauntedCircus said:

I love some Hard Candy :mcry: It was the album that introduced me to Madge's iconic discography, that's probably why it remains as a favorite to me. I might be biased, but I don't think it is a bad album (and yes, I'm well aware that mine is an unpopular opinion).

I love Hard Candy too - all the songs are great but what I mean is how bad does the album sound in the speakers or headphones. Ever noticed the distorted bass in Voices? It sounds like...farts. It's a huge mistake of someone who was mastering this album.

You make some great points about the album and I get that they might put you off a little bit, however Glory still belongs in the Holy Trinity for me. It's fun and Britney seems engaged on this album, her personality manifests on every track.

Stream Glory! :lollipop:

I don't think it's fair to judge how well such a recent album has aged versus one that's much older. I find that things that are ~5 years old sound a lot more dated and tired than things that are 15-20 years old. Something that's older can sound much more fresh as "throwback" sounds come back in fashion and you hear things that haven't been overplayed and overdone recently.

Her older albums were just as trendy, but the tracks tend to stand out because of their production and performance quality. Critics recognized that Glory excelled in both of these areas (barring a few tracks, of course, although I remember one critic specifically praising "Clumsy"). So only time will tell, but I think the album will hold up better than we're expecting. I think it will be considered very underrated, at least commercially.

As an aside, I really wish they got a different guest vocalist or whatever you want to call it on DYWCO. It's such a great track, but the chorus falls so flat due to that weird man who ruins the vibe.

For me Glory has aged like fine wine, I listened to it the other day for the first time in forever and I was blown away by how polished the production was and how good her voice sounded. It will never be considered a classic because the era itself was messy and it didn't do well commercially, but musically it stands out among her discography, and that's on periodt :pleaseshhh:

Glory was such an important era to experience and I used to listen to the album in its entirety all the time. These days, I have definitely relaxed out of it in favor of more classic Brit.

I think it’s just very of its time, which puts it on par with Oops!, Britney, Blackout, and Femme Fatale as being very specific in its overall sound...and will go through a spell of sounding a bit dated. (Except Blackout. Best ******* album. Literally life changing.)

I originally was so sure about it completing the trinity (with Blackout & ITZ, obvs) by replacing Circus. But overtime the Britney album continues to grow on me, so there’s room of a toss up between Britney & Glory.  

As a whole, it is still 100% kindred spirits with ITZ, just from a different perspective...but ultimately is still missing the undeniable standout thrills of BOM & Toxic. 

Archived