The U.S. Department of Justice Wants to Suspend Constititutional Rights During Coronavirus Emergency

Urbanney

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/doj-coronavirus-emergency-powers-140023

The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the coronavirus spreads through the United States.

Documents reviewed by POLITICO detail the department’s requests to lawmakers on a host of topics, including the statute of limitations, asylum and the way court hearings are conducted.

The DOJ requests — which are unlikely to make it through a Democratic-led House — span several stages of the legal process, from initial arrest to how cases are processed and investigated.

In one of the documents, the department proposed that Congress grant the attorney general power to ask the chief judge of any district court to pause court proceedings “whenever the district court is fully or partially closed by virtue of any natural disaster, civil disobedience, or other emergency situation.”

The proposal would also grant those top judges broad authority to pause court proceedings during emergencies.

Click the link above to read more

This seems extremely dangerous and makes no sense to me why they would do it, other than to suppress the freedoms and rights of Americans. Thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm honestly not surprised. I mean this in the honest way, Americans aren't taking this seriously and are coming across as ignorant. 

The fact that being asked to remain indoors and isolate is an attack on someone's freedom in the eyes of some americans, or the fact that Spring breakers still travelled in flocks because they don't care should say it all. There's no consideration for your doctors, or a health system that is already incredibly flawed.

In Ireland, for the most part, we are taking this seriously. People are remaining inside unless they are going on brief local walks, businesses are closing if they are nonessential. We're not perfect, but we're trying. 

All you're being asked to do is stay in and  watch netflix, youtube or **** rather than go outside and go to busy areas.

14 hours ago, Winter _90 said:

It is extremely dangerous when China has taken such drastic measures.

The virus is very dangerous, buy food, medicine and what you need for months and stay home. In the individual case that you do not have good health insurance, contract one.

In case it is not clear what I wanted to say about what better you hire good health insurance, it is because in many countries there is public health, but the United States does not have it and it is better to prevent.

I swear I'm trying to understand you guys but I don't get it... why would it be dangerous that they are applying some legal measures to keep you safe when americans are risking everybody by going outside?

I'm from Peru and we've been asked to stay home for 2 weeks, almost every company is working from home unless it is related to medicine, health or first-need supplies (markets, grocery stores). Since some people didn't want to do it, the president told us that it's mandatory to stay at home from 8 pm to 6 am or else we will get detained + only one person per family can go out during the day to get groceries, supplies and medicine. If someone gets sick, we have to call an ambulance and they will move us. There are also some authorized taxi cabs circulating just in case of any long-distance need and the passenger has to have a web-generated permission.

People need to take this seriously and from what I've heard, americans are taking this too lightly.

14 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

I'm honestly not surprised. I mean this in the honest way, Americans aren't taking this seriously and are coming across as ignorant. 

The fact that being asked to remain indoors and isolate is an attack on someone's freedom in the eyes of some americans, or the fact that Spring breakers still travelled in flocks because they don't care should say it all. There's no consideration for your doctors, or a health system that is already incredibly flawed.

In Ireland, for the most part, we are taking this seriously. People are remaining inside unless they are going on brief local walks, businesses are closing if they are nonessential. We're not perfect, but we're trying. 

All you're being asked to do is stay in and  watch netflix, youtube or **** rather than go outside and go to busy areas.

This!

16 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

At least SOME people are entering this panic mode even if it's just to buy toilet paper :squintney: 

Here in Mexico our president is STILL acting like a fool, minimizing the situation and saying he's protecting himself with lucky charms (not the cereal, but actual lucky charms, which isn't any better). 

People in the media and such, and especially people that work in hospitals, etc are the ones that are trying to spread the awareness, and some markets and other businesses are taking some measures, but it's all up to each one, because the government isn't doing anything really. I'm sure there are way more cases than the ones that are reported, but people isn't even being tested. Schools have already suspended activities, but people are taking this as vacations and the beaches have been basically full. :icant2:

Archived