Do you use Spotify or Apple Music?

Jordan Miller

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, It'sSamB!tch said:

Spotify and I purchade some albums on iTunes. Both just to support artists. Playing files doesn't support them.

but what percentage of streaming does really go to the artists, after the streaming platform and the record label take their part?

I really don't know tbh lol but I think selling 1M albums / singles help them more than streaming a song 1M times. 

If any, I support through YouTube. Whenever I'm at home I usually go the Topic channels and play the songs there while I'm doing other stuff. 

I'm struggle to choose so I'm paying for both at the moment. Spotify is a genius when it comes to learning of your music taste. While for Apple Music, it doesn't matter how much you love or dislike the songs/artists, it doesn't really or rarely affects the algorithm. Spotify also seems to be what most artists choose to promote their music or playlist - at least for the singers I like anyway. Apple Music doesn't provide any year-end summary of your listening. You could try to use Last.fm to track your listening but the lack of native integration makes it almost impossible to do so when you're listening on your phone. Spotify on the hand allows you to connect to Last.fm account within its own app and sync up flawlessly. Therefore you have both year-end summary from Spotify, see your current music taste through Spotify.me (official microsite from Spotify themselves), and reports you can get from Last.fm.  The biggest complain I have with Apple Music is that while they let you upload your own music, the service alter your file metadata. Worst, some songs got removed from your hard drive. I wanted to love Apple Music because I'm an Apple fan but with the flaws they have, it's hard no matter how much I'm trying. Many will argue that Apple Music sounds better but that's depending on who you ask. If you use an iPhone, the audio might get degrade during the transcoding from OGG to AAC which supported on iPhone. Therefore, Spotify on an Android could sounds better when using it with device like bluetooth headphones.

Anyway, the reason why I still keep Apple Music is simply just because I still have HomePods, lyrics feature.

Still, Spotify is a superior service compare to Apple Music.

10 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

but what percentage of streaming does really go to the artists, after the streaming platform and the record label take their part?

I really don't know tbh lol but I think selling 1M albums / singles help them more than streaming a song 1M times. 

If any, I support through YouTube. Whenever I'm at home I usually go the Topic channels and play the songs there while I'm doing other stuff. 

Well obviously I buy the CD's and vinyl too but listening to files on a cellphone or pc does NOT support the artist in ANY way so it's better to use strealing services.

It may be a small percentage but if everyone would do this...

Spotify is horrible...I tried it for a few weeks and it's an absolute no-go that you can't upload existent music. I have a lot of music that is not on Spotify and with Music I can do that. It uploads it and BAAM synchronised on all my devices. The only thing that is better with Spotify is their suggestions what I might like.

So i canceled Spotify and happily using Music for the rest of my life...bye

1 hour ago, Jedro said:

Spotify is horrible...I tried it for a few weeks and it's an absolute no-go that you can't upload existent music.

Yes you can. Put your existing music in a playlist on your computer, make the same playlist available offline on your phone and it transfers. I have all of Britney’s unreleased on Spotify that way

• Super Mods

I have Apple Music, mainly because I had spent time building up my iTunes library and Apple Music made it available on all my devices instantly. I like the sound quality! I believe that artists get slightly more coins when you stream via Apple Music.

Sometimes it lags in getting music that’s just released, which can be a pain. Also, I wish they did a cool, stylized end of year wrap up like Spotify. They attempted with their “Replay” playlist, but I like that Spotify has an entire social media campaign for their campaign. 

Spotify. Top tier music recommendations. So many playlists, including by users. Great social features. Spotify Connect so I can listen on my computer while changing the song/volume from my phone or vice versa.

I’ve tried Apple Music and have wanted to like it, but the UI is worse. It’s slower to load songs. There’s no features comparable to Spotify Connect. And the music recommendations aren’t good. The only thing it has going for it is that you can integrate local files directly into your library, whereas in Spotify, the process is clunky and unreliable and you can only do it in a standalone playlist, not into your entire music library. 

4 hours ago, Jedro said:

Spotify is horrible...I tried it for a few weeks and it's an absolute no-go that you can't upload existent music. I have a lot of music that is not on Spotify and with Music I can do that. It uploads it and BAAM synchronised on all my devices. The only thing that is better with Spotify is their suggestions what I might like.

So i canceled Spotify and happily using Music for the rest of my life...bye

You can still listen to local files (e.g. iTunes purchases and downloaded MP3s) using Spotify, at least on a computer. That’s how I listened to Britney’s unreleased songs on there.  

Archived