“Don’t Let Me Be the Last to Know” 18th anniversary

Miss_R

DLMBTLTK_US_PROMO_1.jpg

It was released on January 15, 2001, by Jive Records as the fourth and final single from the album.

Additional lyrics were written by guitar player Keith Scott and country pop singer Shania Twain.

The track failed to appear on any major music chart in the United States. However, "Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know" was successful in Europe, debuting and peaking at number nine on the European Hot 100 Singles on the chart issue dated April 14, 2001.

011_28629.jpg

An accompanying music video, directed by Herb Ritts, portrais Spears in love scenes with her on-screen boyfriend, played by French model Brice Durand. The singer's real-life boyfriend at the time Justin Timberlake, however, was said to be annoyed at the kissing scenes. Spears mother, Lynne, also criticized considered the original music video for being too racy at the time, because it contained ******** explicit material. Parts of the video were edited before its release to the public.

YkBI.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when the video came out, I was like 7 years old lol and my siblings and I thought she had picked one of the most boring songs on the album :haha: We always skipped that song :woopsie: We were so ready for What U See or Don't Go Knockin' on My Door. Even Satisfaction seemed like a more reasonable choice because of the VMA's performance.

To me, and I think for most of us, it became the FTBOMBH from the Oops album, so we were kind of bummed. We still had hope to get a 5th video, but little did we know the Britney era was upon us.

Still, over the years I learned to appreciate. I still don't listen to it a lot, like I have to be in a certain mood, but now the video, even though I didn't appreciate it back then, now it brings me good memories from my childhood (as ironic as it sounds given the ****** vibe of it lol) 

Also, it was surprising to see her perform that song durnig the FFT :verycool:, it was so random, like, it just didn't make sense to me to see FFney performing one of her early songs 

21 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I remember when the video came out, I was like 7 years old lol and my siblings and I thought she had picked one of the most boring songs on the album :haha: We always skipped that song :woopsie: We were so ready for What U See or Don't Go Knockin' on My Door. Even Satisfaction seemed like a more reasonable choice because of the VMA's performance.

To me, and I think for most of us, it became the FTBOMBH from the Oops album, so we were kind of bummed. We still had hope to get a 5th video, but little did we know the Britney era was upon us.

Still, over the years I learned to appreciate. I still don't listen to it a lot, like I have to be in a certain mood, but now the video, even though I didn't appreciate it back then, now it brings me good memories from my childhood (as ironic as it sounds given the ****** vibe of it lol) 

Also, it was surprising to see her perform that song durnig the FFT :verycool:, it was so random, like, it just didn't make sense to me to see FFney performing one of her early songs 

I would've loved DGKOMD, or CMYLM (yes, I know, too Oops!/Stronger sound like), but I LOVE THEM

17 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yes, I love Can't Make You Love Me, but for some reason it's like we always knew it wasn't going to be a single, maybe because it appeared towards the end of the tracklist lol 

Yeah, but like, Everytime and Criminal are the last song from their albums (not in the deluxe versions, but the normal ones). It's not that weird I think. Also, it's not like they choosed all the singles before hand, so having it at the end probably was nothing. Lucky is track 7. It's after Stronger, DGKOMD, Satisfaction, DLMBTLTK, and WUSIWUG, and it was the second single.

6 minutes ago, DexWillBeThere98 said:

Yeah, but like, Everytime and Criminal are the last song from their albums (not in the deluxe versions, but the normal ones). It's not that weird I think. Also, it's not like they choosed all the singles before hand, so having it at the end probably was nothing. Lucky is track 6 I believe. It's after Stronger, DGKOMD, Satisfaction and WUSIWUG, and it was the second single.

Yeah, but I mean, back then we were at the second era, so I only had BOMT album and its singles as a reference. And about Lucky, I don't know, it just made sense to be released as a single, it was very good, cheesy but cool.

Of course over the years things have changed a lot: two singles per album is the new standard, also, tracks No. 1 had always been singles until Alien didn't make it, and then Invitation. As you say, Everytime and Criminal appear towards the end, but how was I supposed to know back in early 2001? :P

25 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yeah, but I mean, back then we were at the second era, so I only had BOMT album and its singles as a reference. And about Lucky, I don't know, it just made sense to be released as a single, it was very good, cheesy but cool.

Of course over the years things have changed a lot: two singles per album is the new standard, also, tracks No. 1 had always been singles until Alien didn't make it, and then Invitation. As you say, Everytime and Criminal appear towards the end, but how was I supposed to know back in early 2001? :P

True, but remember, no single was choose at first except for the lead. Crazy wasn't meant to be a single. They also wanted The Beat Goes On to be one. I don't know if the information was available at that time (I was like 7 months old when the album came out), but yeah, taking BOMT as a reference probably gave you that impression. Up untill 2007 I thought that Crazy and Stronger were 2nd singles and Sometimes was 3rd just because of the album placement.

1 hour ago, DexWillBeThere98 said:

I would've loved DGKOMD, or CMYLM (yes, I know, too Oops!/Stronger sound like), but I LOVE THEM

To be fair, almost the entire Oops album has the same sample. I remember when I was a kid, my mom saying something like "is it the same song nonstop?" :deadbanana:

Archived