Best before encore tour performance

none

Best before encore tour performance  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably the only time I won’t vote for DWAD regarding any aspect of her tours, despite the Slave performance being fantastic. 

In this case, I actually loved BOMT at the OIDIA tour the most. The pre-recorded vocals, the “it’s Britney Spears, baby” remix, the dance break, her adlibs, insane level of energy despite it being the (near) end of the show, ripping off her schoolgirl costume, the crowd going completely insane for the biggest pop song in the world, the confetti...it was good enough to be the actual encore of the show (whereas with DWAD, BOMT was clearly superior to Slave because the former was just unbelievable and the most creative and visually impressive encore I’ve ever seen).

Plus, I can’t help but always compare DWAD Slave to VMA Slave due to all the costuming/stage/choreo similarities, and despite how great the former is, nothing can compare to the latter.

In short, I think Slave probably looks better when watching from home, but BOMT would’ve been the most entertaining to experience live. 

tumblr_mkwfsjZo2y1s9706fo2_250.gif

13 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

This is probably the only time I won’t vote for DWAD regarding any aspect of her tours, despite the Slave performance being fantastic. 

In this case, I actually loved BOMT at the OIDIA tour the most. The pre-recorded vocals, the “it’s Britney Spears, baby” remix, the dance break, her adlibs, insane level of energy despite it being the (near) end of the show, ripping off her schoolgirl costume, the crowd going completely insane for the biggest pop song in the world, the confetti...it was good enough to be the actual encore of the show (whereas with DWAD, BOMT was clearly superior to Slave because the former was just unbelievable and the most creative and visually impressive encore I’ve ever seen).

Plus, I can’t help but always compare DWAD Slave to VMA Slave due to all the costuming/stage/choreo similarities, and despite how great the former is, nothing can compare to the latter.

In short, I think Slave probably looks better when watching from home, but BOMT would’ve been the most entertaining to experience live. 

tumblr_mkwfsjZo2y1s9706fo2_250.gif

i voted for the same :walkonby:

12 hours ago, Million Billion said:

Got it now, thanks. :cardi:

My fave is Slave then. But I love how they made the audience think the show was done in TOHT, it actually looked like it was the ends, the goodbye, the dancers' introduction, the flying papers, and all of a sudden MATM comes on 

I love those “fake outs” as well, but the problem is that approximately 15% of every audience are either attending their very first concert or alternately are just really bad at picking up obvious cues, because I always see rows and rows of people leave immediately following the “fake” last song. I can’t imagine paying hundreds for a pop concert and then missing the encore! Plus that’s pretty disrespectful to the artist, in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, 3isacharm said:

A performer will play an encore if the audience claps a lot.

That was originally what encores were intended for; it was supposed to be spontaneous and dependent upon how good the show was and how much the audience chanted or cheered afterward.

But that definition, while previously accurate, is now outdated as the “additional” song(s) are always already included in the setlist (at least at pop shows), regardless of the level of enthusiasm showed by the crowd.

It’s a bit weird if you think about it, especially since they continue the tradition of saying “this is the last song, thank you, good night!,” when everyone knows at least one more is coming (especially since nowadays people usually do their biggest hits as their encore, rather than a deep cut or new material like bands originally did), and it should be clear to everyone that, for example, Ed Sheeran’s show isn’t actually over until he’s sang “Shape Of You” (his encore for his current stadium tour—using this as an example as he performed in my city last night to over 100k people, so that’s all over the news and social media today).

Anyway, the original concept regarding encores made much more sense, in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

That was originally what encores were intended for; it was supposed to be spontaneous and dependent upon how good the show was and how much the audience chanted or cheered afterward.

But that definition, while previously accurate, is now outdated as the “additional” song(s) are always already included in the setlist (at least at pop shows), regardless of the level of enthusiasm showed by the crowd.

It’s a bit weird if you think about it, especially since they continue the tradition of saying “this is the last song, thank you, good night!,” when everyone knows at least one more is coming (especially since nowadays people usually do their biggest hits as their encore, rather than a deep cut or new material like bands originally did), and it should be clear to everyone that, for example, Ed Sheeran’s show isn’t actually over until he’s sang “Shape Of You” (his encore for his current stadium tour—using this as an example as he performed in my city last night to over 100k people, so that’s all over the news and social media today).

Anyway, the original concept regarding encores made much more sense, in my opinion.

Actually, it started back in the days of baroque and with instrumental concerts and operas and the like; and it eventually was seen as a nuisance by the directors, because it was usually screamed out for, let's say, a cellist, and thus the cellist would have to divert from the piece itself to break into their own few-minute impromptu performance. It even came to be used as an insult back then, too, when people would scathingly say it to someone who wasn't so good. :ohdear: (Kind of like we do now with the saying, "Play Freebird" to bad acts.)

It's also amusing to note that the entire phrase "Elvis has left the building" is based on the fact that Elvis would never do encores, and it was used to let his audience know that he really would not be coming back onstage. And in the seventies, some artists made the whole encore the entire second act of their show.

3 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

Actually, it started back in the days of baroque and with instrumental concerts and operas and the like; and it eventually was seen as a nuisance by the directors, because it was usually screamed out for, let's say, a cellist, and thus the cellist would have to divert from the piece itself to break into their own few-minute impromptu performance. It even came to be used as an insult back then, too, when people would scathingly say it to someone who wasn't so good. :ohdear: (Kind of like we do now with the saying, "Play Freebird" to bad acts.)

It's also amusing to note that the entire phrase "Elvis has left the building" is based on the fact that Elvis would never do encores, and it was used to let his audience know that he really would not be coming back onstage. And in the seventies, some artists made the whole encore the entire second act of their show.

Thanks for educating me! That’s actually very interesting.

I genuinely thought that encores were something which originated with rock bands sometime around the 70s. VH1 lied to me as a child. Ha. 

Just now, LostInAnImage said:

Thanks for educating me! That’s actually very interesting.

I genuinely thought that encores were something which originated with rock bands sometime around the 70s. VH1 lied to me as a child. Ha. 

No problem -- I just find it fascinating that we still do the same practices in music as they did back then, and I actually used to think the same myself (I even credited it to Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bob Seger, etc), but when I looked it up I was a little blown away. So VH1 lied to everyone. :hahayea:

2 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

No problem -- I just find it fascinating that we still do the same practices in music as they did back then, and I actually used to think the same myself (I even credited it to Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bob Seger, etc), but when I looked it up I was a little blown away. So VH1 lied to everyone. :hahayea:

I have to admit, the mental picture of a refined opera audience rudely demanding more entertainment from a poor celloist is insanely funny. I always thought those crowds were a bit more civil. 

6 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

I have to admit, the mental picture of a refined opera audience rudely demanding more entertainment from a poor celloist is insanely funny. I always thought those crowds were a bit more civil. 

Right? After I first read it and thought about what "Freebird!" has come to mean during a bad song, I started imagining that... that's essentially what they were yelling. Lmao. 

25 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

tumblr_ml9gxp40y91qlgr6qo1_250.gif

PJG1.gif

It’s not so visible here, but the heaving chest was super gross. 

Ok wax figures are creepy enough as is but this additional feature—no. :hideous:

also, isn’t this Slave DWAD performance objectively the best from that OP list? 

4 hours ago, Dark.Knight said:

i think @Britneylandia meant it with the orange outfit

30 minutes ago, Britneylandia said:

Nope I mean the orange version of it.

I didn't know there was an orange outfit. I saw it kinda orange in the picture above but I thought it was because of the lighting. I prefer the green one anyway. Did she change the outfit in the middle of the tour for the rest of it or was it just for one night?

15 minutes ago, YouBettaSingB*ch said:

I didn't know there was an orange outfit. I saw it kinda orange in the picture above but I thought it was because of the lighting. I prefer the green one anyway. Did she change the outfit in the middle of the tour for the rest of it or was it just for one night?

she did quite a few dates in 2001, not sure about the 2nd leg

Archived