The Washington Post Review of POM Tour

Andrew338

Sorry if AP

"This was 95 minutes of nonstop bouncing, jouncing, wiggling, jiggling, squiggling, speed-miming, ghost-humping, human-pyramiding, getting hoisted up by a team of backup dancers, getting carried around like Cleopatra, getting gently lowered back down to earth, rolling around on the floor, kicking the air, finger-wagging, fist-pumping, hair-whipping, strutting, thrusting, popping, locking, jazz-hands-on-Red-Bull — every instant crammed with movement from at least six major muscle groups."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/what-happens-in-vegas-stays-in-vegas-yeah-yeah-britney-spears-doesnt-care/2018/07/13/8b8e9310-86ae-11e8-8f6c-46cb43e3f306_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4ae944161a39

Thoughts?

:xfactorlook:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Andrew338 said:

Sorry if AP

"This was 95 minutes of nonstop bouncing, jouncing, wiggling, jiggling, squiggling, speed-miming, ghost-humping, human-pyramiding, getting hoisted up by a team of backup dancers, getting carried around like Cleopatra, getting gently lowered back down to earth, rolling around on the floor, kicking the air, finger-wagging, fist-pumping, hair-whipping, strutting, thrusting, popping, locking, jazz-hands-on-Red-Bull — every instant crammed with movement from at least six major muscle groups."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/what-happens-in-vegas-stays-in-vegas-yeah-yeah-britney-spears-doesnt-care/2018/07/13/8b8e9310-86ae-11e8-8f6c-46cb43e3f306_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4ae944161a39

Thoughts?

:xfactorlook:

Makes me sad reading this and as much as I hate to admit it I’m starting to feel like everything he said and everyone else is saying is true :( 

I think jazz hands on Red Bull describes her dance moves perfectly low key lol she does a lot of movement but it’s not necessarily good or fluid moves. The spinning in random circles during toxic is also a good description lol

It seems like a lukewarm review, not horrible though. they acknowledge that it’s a lot going on in the show but that the lipping doesn’t help. Not shocked. 

13 minutes ago, timito said:

Makes me sad reading this and as much as I hate to admit it I’m starting to feel like everything he said and everyone else is saying is true :( 

There’s only been good reviews as far as I know, and all the people and fans attending the shows has loved it. Have you checked instagram? People seriously loved the shows. And another bunch of fans said what ppl said after seeing it in Vegas; the videos doesn’t do any justice. 

The only people complaining and having meltdowns are here, on Exhale. That too shall pass, my amigo :britoverit:

17 minutes ago, NiceSpears said:

There’s only been good reviews as far as I know, and all the people and fans attending the shows has loved it. Have you checked instagram? People seriously loved the shows. And another bunch of fans said what ppl said after seeing it in Vegas; the videos doesn’t do any justice. 

The only people complaining and having meltdowns are here, on Exhale. That too shall pass, my amigo :britoverit:

I did go to Instagram but not for long and I did see a few good reviews. I’m going at the end of August to see her but with all those bad reviews and comments my perspective starts getting bad which I don’t like because I never thought before she was that bad only not as good as her prime, but something that’s normal to happen when you age and change. Maybe I should stop reading on and just wait for my show to enjoy it for what it is. 

2 minutes ago, timito said:

I did go to Instagram but not for long and I did see a few good reviews. I’m going at the end of August to see her but with all those bad reviews and comments my perspective starts getting bad which I don’t like because I never thought before she was that bad only not as good as her prime, but something that’s normal to happen when you age and change. Maybe I should stop reading on and just wait for my show to enjoy it for what it is. 

But the thing is, as I said, the only ”bad” reactions or meltdowns are here on Exhale from people who have not been to the show, only watched videos. That’s not reviews. 

All the people attending the shows has loved it! And the reviews have been good, so don’t worry and DON’T take Exhale and the ppl here as a serious thing. Its trolls all ovahh this place.

Don’t worry dear :ahhh:

embarrassing...

"When the drumless intro of “Toxic” unfurled softly and slowly, like an opiate lullaby, you may have felt yourself getting dizzy on the only ballad of the night. But was the star of the show hearing any of it? During that little gap in the chorus where the surf guitar part usually goes, Spears quite literally passed the tenths of seconds by spinning in circles."

but honestly the show was so bad that the review could have been 10x worse

It’s honestly not a positive review, it’s a very politically correct way of saying she was all over the place:

“It’s hard to remember Spears going this gonzo onstage back in her prime.”

(Gonzo means bizarre)

“She made those lines — between manic and ecstatic, past and present — feel blurry all the way through the show’s big finish, “Till the World Ends,” a gorgeous wad of existential bubble gum that instructs us to “keep on dancing” until time stops flowing.

For a feel-good finale, it bristled with nervous energy — as if forever might not last as long as we had hoped.”

This is essentially saying the show, and finale, was intended to be fun and energetic, but rather was marked by nerves and a manic energy that reminded the author she is no longer the performer she was in her prime.

Additionally, it referenced the lipsynching multiple times, and alluded to how dated some of her earlier hits sound when mimed. So yeah, not positive but politely written.

4 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

It’s honestly not a positive review, it’s a very politically correct way of saying she was all over the place:

“It’s hard to remember Spears going this gonzo onstage back in her prime.”

(Gonzo means bizarre)

“She made those lines — between manic and ecstatic, past and present — feel blurry all the way through the show’s big finish, “Till the World Ends,” a gorgeous wad of existential bubble gum that instructs us to “keep on dancing” until time stops flowing.

For a feel-good finale, it bristled with nervous energy — as if forever might not last as long as we had hoped.”

This is essentially saying the show, and finale, was intended to be fun and energetic, but rather was marked by nerves and a manic energy that reminded the author she is no longer the performer she was in her prime. 

The fans enjoyed and that all ever matters

It’s hard to remember Spears going this gonzo onstage back in her prime, and hearing these hits should have reminded you that, yes, it’s been nearly two decades since MTV transformed this humble Mouseketeer into the last Lolita of the 20th century. And like they always do, old songs begin to express new things. When a 16-year-old sings, “My loneliness is killing me,” we hear a specific kind of adolescent pain — excruciating, but fleeting. When a 36-year-old mouths along to those same words, it evokes an entirely different kind of wound.

:eheeek:

But yes, this review is mostly positive. He's just being very honest in saying she has changed since her prime and that her dancing is, well, all over the place, unlike in her prime. And that there's no live vocals, of course.

Archived