What is the current trend of the music industry Britney needs to keep up with?

sarahbbyy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I disagree. The album may not be your favorite but Blackout had a concept that was executed well, just like ITZ. The record flows perfectly as a result, just like ITZ.

From the intro in Break the Ice, to the ex boyfriend kiss off Toy Soldier, to Heaven On Earth which essentially resembles Britney's hopeless romantic, to her sassy confidence in Hot As Ice, Blackout perfectly encompasses Britney at that point in her life. Just because it was slept on, doesn't make it any less well crafted.

My feelings about Blackout aside, that's you placing your projections onto those songs. Britney has never explained Blackout, or any of her records recently, in depth like Beyoncé has to warrant this comparison or artistic merit.

"boyfriend kiss off" and "hopeless romantic" and "sassy confidence" can be found on all of Britney's albums, and arguably lyrically superior.

22 minutes ago, ITZFFGL said:

Blackout is nowhere near the level of BEYONCÉ. In 2007, people probably thought Blackout was what Britney did at a club or while driving her car. There was no impact outside of pop music followers. 

The only songs on Blackout remotely about Britney's life are Piece of Me and Why Should I Be Sad and the various interpretations of Gimme More, which I admit is a clever song that could fit the club or Britney's relationship with the press. The rest of the album is standard trashy *** pop. Artistically, it was a gigantic step backwards from In the Zone, essentially birthing the overly auto tuned and club crazed Britney that blossomed and peaked with Circus and Femme Fatale and had overstayed its welcome by the late and tired Britney Jean, the complete opposite of Beyoncé's progression as an artist.

Commercially yes, it pales in comparison to BEYONCE. And yes, it was one of the catalysts of the mainstreaming of autotune usage in pop music. Not to mention it was one of the very first to introduce dubstep to mainstream audience.

I disagree that it was a step backward artistically for Britney since In the Zone itself already featured processed vocals from Britney. Blackout only took it a step further by further exploring autotune, which I do not really think is necessarily bad, because it made Britney more identified with it, as it is something that she has depended on until today.

And about it being a personal album? Even Billboard agrees it to be the most personal statement from her

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5812388/is-britney-spears-britney-jean-really-her-most-personal-album-an

3 minutes ago, Itachi said:

Commercially yes, it pales in comparison to BEYONCE. And yes, it was one of the catalysts of the mainstreaming of autotune usage in pop music. Not to mention it was one of the very first to introduce dubstep to mainstream audience.

I disagree that it was a step backward artistically for Britney since In the Zone itself already featured processed vocals from Britney. Blackout only took it a step further by further exploring autotune, which I do not really think is necessarily bad, because it made Britney more identified with it, as it is something that she has depended on until today.

And about it being a personal album? Even Billboard agrees it to be the most personal statement from her

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5812388/is-britney-spears-britney-jean-really-her-most-personal-album-an

That was an opinion piece. And they actually link to Danja, the producer, quoting Britney: 

Don't expect any insight on Britney's breakdown on her forthcoming album — yet another collaborator says the LP will just be about good times.

"She didn't let none of her personal life into what she was doing," Nate "Danja" Hills said. "There was no, 'I need to let it all out.' She said she deals with that in another way."

It's really not that deep. I feel like it's obvious Britney set out to make a party record.

Just now, ITZFFGL said:

My feelings about Blackout aside, that's you placing your projections onto those songs. Britney has never explained Blackout, or any of her records recently, in depth like Beyoncé has to warrant this comparison or artistic merit.

"boyfriend kiss off" and "hopeless romantic" and "sassy confidence" can be found on all of Britney's albums, and arguably lyrically superior.

She doesn't have to explain it because it works. I'm not talking about nor comparing it to Beyonce.

Fact is, Blackout as a whole encompasses what Britney was going through during 2007. The heartbreak, the media frenzy, the club hopping, the sassy behavior, etc.

The only thing that wasn't mentioned was her children, yet during the sessions she recorded an electro-ballad about them called "Grow" with Steve Anderson who also did "State of Grace".

When you look at the other demos from the album such as All That She Wants, Rebellion, Who Can She Trust, Crucify Me, it's clear that Blackout was Britney's form of expression away from Larry and her team's guidance yet one 2007 kicked in, the concept was finalized as "blocking out the negativity, and embracing life fully" aka a blackout.

It's the reason why WSIBS (although a clear response to Kevin), is still cemented in hope. She's not crying about it anymore, she's literally asking "WHY should I be sad?". Which goes right back to the concept. You can't compare an album with actual thought and logic put into it versus a run of the mill dance album like Femme Fatale. Femme Fatale had a theme, but no real concept.

1 minute ago, ITZFFGL said:

That was an opinion piece. And they actually link to Danja, the producer, quoting Britney: 

Don't expect any insight on Britney's breakdown on her forthcoming album — yet another collaborator says the LP will just be about good times.

"She didn't let none of her personal life into what she was doing," Nate "Danja" Hills said. "There was no, 'I need to let it all out.' She said she deals with that in another way."

It's really not that deep. I feel like it's obvious Britney set out to make a party record.

it is and it does make sense. that quote from Danja doesn't make any sense when clearly most of the songs directly (POM, WSIBS) or indirectly (GM, HOE) referenced her personal life.

It is a party record because during its recording, Britney was indeed partying a lot. :uknowit: and that imo makes it more personal. she was singing about ***, partying, paparazzi, her ex husband. it has a theme, "blocking out negativity and embracing life" as it was promoted by her label. so that statement alone implies that there is something to be discerned from the lyrics of the songs.

8 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

She doesn't have to explain it because it works. I'm not talking about nor comparing it to Beyonce.

Fact is, Blackout as a whole encompasses what Britney was going through during 2007. The heartbreak, the media frenzy, the club hopping, the sassy behavior, etc.

The only thing that wasn't mentioned was her children, yet during the sessions she recorded an electro-ballad about them called "Grow" with Steve Anderson who also did "State of Grace".

When you look at the other demos from the album such as All That She Wants, Rebellion, Who Can She Trust, Crucify Me, it's clear that Blackout was Britney's form of expression away from Larry and her team's guidance yet one 2007 kicked in, the concept was finalized as "blocking out the negativity, and embracing life fully" aka a blackout.

It's the reason why WSIBS (although a clear response to Kevin), is still cemented in hope. She's not crying about it anymore, she's literally asking "WHY should I be sad?". Which goes right back to the concept. You can't compare an album with actual thought and logic put into it versus a run of the mill dance album like Femme Fatale. Femme Fatale had a theme, but no real concept.

Did Grow leak or were lyrics leaked? I've never read about that before. 

I enjoy Blackout's demos way more than the final track list. Some of them give me Original Doll vibes. 

I know you think I hate Blackout :tiffcackle: but it's deeper. I know Original Doll was intended to be the follow up to In The Zone and Blackout is just... nothing like where it seemed Britney was going with her sound overall. It will always leave a horrible taste in my mouth. Let me stop hating. 

23 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

You explained it in a way I could not. I was not comparing the two projects solely but they do mean the same in a general sense to the perspective artist. Beyonce let her father go as her manager by her fourth album and took full control. By the same BEYONCE rolled around, it ended up being her most personal statement and critically acclaimed project yet.

There is just a different in the level of respect and styles both artists have. Britney still was making music for the clubs instead of really giving us an insight on who she truly is as a person. She has always been more distant with her music than she is with her everyday kind of persona. 

Beyonce has always had her real voice on the records, made R&B much more popular with fans outside of the genre, and also had mostly female empowerment anthems with some powerful songs all throughout her career. Britney was never like that, which is why it did not seem like much of a progression when people just look at it like a dance album that still follows a similar formula in lyrics. 

1 hour ago, Million Billion said:

Sing freaking LIVE! That's the only trend I want her to follow.

Trendsetterney made her last appearance in 2011 but it would be great if she comes up with something that really fits her not something that looks forced just to making her look like attention who*** 

I came to post this... I'm glad I'm not the only want being delusional (not offense) but I feel it probably won't happen 

1 hour ago, sarahbbyy said:

So instead of copying current artist's performing style with mostly singing, you prefer her to just work on the kind of performer she already is? It is true that the choreography is the only thing that truly needs work.

Exactly. If she feels the music and can exude that confidence in herself and her music when she performs, then I'll be happy. I'm not delusional, I've been a fan since BOMT and she has never been a vocal artist. She is **** and a skilled dancer, that's what I love about her and that's what needs work, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Exactly. If she feels the music and can exude that confidence in herself and her music when she performs, then I'll be happy. I'm not delusional, I've been a fan since BOMT and she has never been a vocal artist. She is **** and a skilled dancer, that's what I love about her and that's what needs work, IMO.

Her choreography has gotten unbearably stale. Add to that how much she touches her hair, and it's almost hard to watch sometimes.

From the moment she brought out the BOMT video she's had distinctive choreography. She really needs to get back to that. That's a key part of her brand.

43 minutes ago, ITZFFGL said:

Did Grow leak or were lyrics leaked? I've never read about that before. 

I enjoy Blackout's demos way more than the final track list. Some of them give me Original Doll vibes. 

I know you think I hate Blackout :tiffcackle: but it's deeper. I know Original Doll was intended to be the follow up to In The Zone and Blackout is just... nothing like where it seemed Britney was going with her sound overall. It will always leave a horrible taste in my mouth. Let me stop hating. 

It was confirmed back in 07. It's on the reliable unreleased site.

But we don't have any real indication of Original Doll. From what we have, it's just a compilation of scrapped ITZ demos. Mona Lisa was interesting, but nothing all that groundbreaking or intricate like what Rebellion is described to be. Even more eerie lyrical content with far more intricate production. The final is a hip hop song that samples Mozart, I mean...

The early sessions for Blackout were far more interesting than the later and had Britney not gone off the deep end we might have gotten more "personal" material but by 2007 the early concept wasn't who she was or wanted to display anymore. It works because she didn't want her music to be a pitiful as her personal life. She wanted you to dance and not sit there and wonder "wow, she's ******."

32 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

The early sessions for Blackout were far more interesting than the later and had Britney not gone off the deep end we might have gotten more "personal" material but by 2007 the early concept wasn't who she was or wanted to display anymore. It works because she didn't want her music to be a pitiful as her personal life. She wanted you to dance and not sit there and wonder "wow, she's ******."

Wow.  I had to share this part with my best friend.  That was beautifully said.  It kind of plays into why I love Britney so much.  She doesn't really focus on the negative.  She wants everyone to have a fun time and let loose.  And her empowerment songs I can relate to a bit more.

I can't relate to Beyoncé's music if I am being utterly honest.  I'm not a woman, and I understand the woman power thing is great, but I don't relate to it.  Single Ladies?  Putting a ring on it?  I don't relate to that.  Everything I have heard on Lemonade I don't relate to it.  I won't say Beyoncé is horrible, on the contrary, I think that she is amazingly talented, but I just can't get into her style of music.

2 hours ago, Million Billion said:

Sing freaking LIVE! That's the only trend I want her to follow.

Trendsetterney made her last appearance in 2011 but it would be great if she comes up with something that really fits her not something that looks forced just to making her look like attention who*** 

:brityes: we want those iconic happy Birthday vocals in Everytime. I hope she sings you oughta know again or makes a song like it in the future. Her voice fits so well.

Archived