POLL: Britney's career has come to the identical crossroads that both Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson's did...whose path will she follow with b10

Army1

POLL: Britney's career has come to the identical crossroads that both Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson's did...whose path will she follow with b10  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the music buffs and pop historians out there, you may have noticed that Britney has come to the same exact crossroad that both Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson came to at one point in their own respective, iconic careers. 

After years and years of mega success, both Mariah and Janet saw their popularity wain across TWO flop albums (just like Britney). Mariah Carey with Glitter and  Charmbracelet; Janet with Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. 

Mariah bounced back MASSIVELY with her next project ('The Emancipation of Mimi') becoming the biggest selling artist that year and releasing what Billboard considers the most successful song in the modern era 'We Belong Together'. Janet followed up her two flops with another flop ('Disciple') having her most successful single since 2001 (Feedback) peak at number 19 (mmmm Make Me teas). 

Mariah went on to experience another successful era with the multi-platinum EMC2, which included #1 hit Touch My Body, and had another moderately successful era after that with Memoirs of A Perfect Angel/Obsessed. Mariah slipped back into irrelevancy again after that, but Janet never found her footing again after experiencing her initial two album flops, and is going on 16 years of lackluster results for someone of her pedigree. 

What do you think will happen to Britney? Will she have her 'Emancipation' moment with B10, mirroring the eerily comparable Mariah narrative of being liberated/set free (hi conservatorship)and having a career resurgence after ultimately coming back from a public breakdown? Or will she match her biggest idol in Janet Jackson with a further career downturn at the 20 year mark, the same EXACT YEAR MARK that Janet (Britney's main career inspiration) saw her own career fall apart, possibly for good? 

Whichever way you vote hope everyone enjoys hypothesizing and analyzing how ironically unique the story telling elements come together amongst the three legends in this narrative.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest StrawberryKisses
6 minutes ago, T0UCH0FMYHAND said:

Glory didn't flop though. :squintney:

It's a great album, but not iconic.

BJ and Glory failed to match the iconicness of FF and the albums beforehand. Maybe Work ***** was an iconic single, but Make Me was a delayed mess with a scrapped video, and Slumber Party was meh

all i know is that britney dgas about the numbers, she just have fun and go to variety shows and sits and talk and enjoys her time.

14 minutes ago, StrawberryKisses said:

. Maybe Work ***** was an iconic single, but Make Me was a delayed mess with a scrapped video, and Slumber Party was meh

yes i agree on this. 

she needs to comeback to do hot choreos on her music videos ala oops. 

I agree with janet but this last album helped regain belief in her. I went to her concert and it was sold out, the album did okay (not crazy good) but it was one of her best, and now she's on tour again. I think Glory was like Mariah in some way where the flop was hard then it took next album to flop but be really good to get fans back then coming back stronger than yesterday with B10. Same with madonna, hung up was huge after lackluster American life era even though dope album

Her Emancipation of Mimi is coming, bookmark me.

I feel like Glory was her Charmbracelet, which is a great album imo but was released after a bad time in her life when she wasn't relevant enough for people to notice her efforts. Just like Charmbracelet, Glory made her experiment with new sounds that worked out great and hopefully she'll keep going on the right direction for B10. :staysalty:

36 minutes ago, Doug said:

I feel like Glory was her Charmbracelet, which is a great album imo but was released after a bad time in her life when she wasn't relevant enough for people to notice her efforts. Just like Charmbracelet, Glory made her experiment with new sounds that worked out great and hopefully she'll keep going on the right direction for B10. :staysalty:

Glory is a good album but nothing experimental about it.:plzexplain:

Guest T0UCH0FMYHAND
1 hour ago, Pedro Dantas said:

:madonna:

Sure, the Era was messy as **** but the album did not chart bad. BJ did way worse. 

The difference is, Mariah was thirsty for success and she worked really hard for her comeback. Does Britney want to come back? I realy hope she scores a worldwide #1 song and #1, multi-platinum album next era, with a massive world tour and iconic performances, that will certify her immage as a pop legend and shut everyone's mouths and gain her respect back. :tiffanycries: But she doesn't seem to want it and knowing her team, they'll do their best to **** everything up. :( 

41 minutes ago, Doug said:

Gurl Glory is much better than Charmbracelet :madance: But I totally get what you meant

I don't think B10 will be as big of Emancipation era but I have a good feeling that it will do better than BJ and Glory. Britney is on the right track with Glory. If B10 has a banger like TTWE and/or HIAM, I'm pretty sure it will do better than her two previous albums

27 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

It was out of BB200 after three months. 

Britney's albums have always fallen quickly on the charts, BJ I think fell the fastest though!

Here's the thing people like to make Glory out to be some massive flop, but it wasn't......to put it into prospective Alicia Keys promoted her album and had The Voice going for her and  only managed to sell 55,000 copies of her album it's first week last year, Glory did twice that with not a whole lot of promo. Had Glory been released on a different week it would've been a #1 or #2 album for sure, but RCA is ******* stupid and made her look bad. Also Britney managed to get a surprise released single with zero promo at the time to a top 20 debut......that's nothing to scoff at for an artist 18 years into her career. Again to put it into prospective Gwen Stefani who heavily promoted and was on The Voice couldn't get any of her singles to chart higher than 52 on the Hot 100.......her album also sold less than Glory it's first week, but it was #1 because she had no competition. Also the Glory era was no where near as floppy as Mariah's Charmbracelet era either......I mean Mariah only managed to get it's first single to 81 and none of the others charted. 

I think B10 will be a comeback for Britney, but not as massive as Mariah's EOM was. I think she and her team realized that Vegas was getting in the way and that's why she's ending it.....I think the B10 era is going to be a test era for her. They're going to release the album without Vegas in the mix and probably do a decent amount of promo for it and see what happens. I'm hoping she's going to change up her sound a little bit and maybe be a bit more mature and deep for B10, kind of like ITZ meets Glory and hopefully that will help her grab some more attention. 

Guest T0UCH0FMYHAND
13 minutes ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

Britney's albums have always fallen quickly on the charts, BJ I think fell the fastest though!

Here's the thing people like to make Glory out to be some massive flop, but it wasn't......to put it into prospective Alicia Keys promoted her album and had The Voice going for her and  only managed to sell 55,000 copies of her album it's first week last year, Glory did twice that with not a whole lot of promo. Had Glory been released on a different week it would've been a #1 or #2 album for sure, but RCA is ******* stupid and made her look bad. Also Britney managed to get a surprise released single with zero promo at the time to a top 20 debut......that's nothing to scoff at for an artist 18 years into her career. Again to put it into prospective Gwen Stefani who heavily promoted and was on The Voice couldn't get any of her singles to chart higher than 52 on the Hot 100.......her album also sold less than Glory it's first week, but it was #1 because she had no competition. Also the Glory era was no where near as floppy as Mariah's Charmbracelet era either......I mean Mariah only managed to get it's first single to 81 and none of the others charted. 

I think B10 will be a comeback for Britney, but not as massive as Mariah's EOM was. I think she and her team realized that Vegas was getting in the way and that's why she's ending it.....I think the B10 era is going to be a test era for her. They're going to release the album without Vegas in the mix and probably do a decent amount of promo for it and see what happens. I'm hoping she's going to change up her sound a little bit and maybe be a bit more mature and deep for B10, kind of like ITZ meets Glory and hopefully that will help her grab some more attention. 

35 minutes ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

Here's the thing people like to make Glory out to be some massive flop, but it wasn't......to put it into prospective Alicia Keys promoted her album and had The Voice going for her and  only managed to sell 55,000 copies of her album it's first week last year, Glory did twice that with not a whole lot of promo. Had Glory been released on a different week it would've been a #1 or #2 album for sure, but RCA is ******* stupid and made her look bad. Also Britney managed to get a surprise released single with zero promo at the time to a top 20 debut......that's nothing to scoff at for an artist 18 years into her career. Again to put it into prospective Gwen Stefani who heavily promoted and was on The Voice couldn't get any of her singles to chart higher than 52 on the Hot 100.......her album also sold less than Glory it's first week, but it was #1 because she had no competition. 

True, but she's not Gwen or Alicia. She's pop sensation Britney Spears and she should be selling at least 400 000 like JT or Beyoncé.

It's not surprising that she has good single debuts. She has a big fanbase. Debuting at #17 and having a huge fall the following week actually shows that lost lots of fans and that the GP isn't here for her.

And Glory did get promo: Today Show, VMAs, Carpool, etc.

I agree with you about the release date. RCA had an entire summer to release the damn album and chose to do it when the market started getting crowded. They're a **** label and they manage to ruin everyone's sucess (even before they debut, like Tinashe). Bangerz was an era worthy of 5 or 6 singles but only got 3 because, after Adore You flopped, they cancelled the era completly. And let's not get started on Kelly's My December era...

I can already imagine them handling B10. They'll forget to send the lead single to radio (or iTunes tbh) and the album will leak in physical two months before the album is released.

If Team B and Britney does things right,  then finally Britney's Emancipation of Mimi must just come in 2020. She needs to lead with another experimental sound, not follow trends, not that I'm complaining about Glory. Glory was amazing, one of her best vocals ever with also indicated interest she's leading her music by her own reins again, but I hope B10 she truly up her game with a few iconic performances and music videos. Sure, she doesn't like promoting, I don't need her to be everywhere, :nobitch:, no no I don't. I just need her to have a few iconic performances on award shows and stuff, and just wow us with her performing skills. I know she can do it. It's a matter of fact if she wants it, :weusay:

Archived