"I was never hiding anything. It was the people around me that were hiding me."

justkeepdoingit

i love this interview. it was very insightful at the time and you understand some of the things better today.

BRITNEY_SPEARS_W+-+AUGUST+2003-380516.jp

my favorite parts:

No one has had more Q-factor than Spears, but she seems to understand, young as she is, that pop stars age in dog years and that she'll need some new tricks if she wishes to snatch her crown back from the 18-year-old Canadian anti-Britney, Avril Lavigne. "I f---in' love Avril's stuff," Spears insists. "It f---in' rocks." But she goes on to reveal a touch of competitiveness. "Avril doesn't really dance, but whatever. It's weird. My third album sold as much as her first one, which is very funny to me because everyone thought it didn't do that great."

Still, the turning point in her career seems all the more noteworthy at a moment when some critics are beginning to wonder whether Madonna has finally lost her edge. "Madonna, over?" Spears shrieks, incredulous. (Heightened emotion tightens the twang in her Louisiana accent.) Then she reflects for a moment. "Honestly, that's why I work so hard-because that's a fear I have for me," she says. She pauses and swills her Red Bull. "There are always gonna be people that don't love you, and actually, I kind of like the people like Madonna, who makes such a statement that people either love her or hate her. I don't want to be in between. I think that's boring."

"The most painful thing I've ever experienced was that breakup," she says. "We were together so long and I had this vision. You think you're going to spend the rest of your life together. Where I come from, the woman is the homemaker, and that's how I was brought up-you cook for your kids. But now I realize I need my single time. You have to do your own thing: be self-loving, you know. I know it sounds cliché and cheesy, but I really believe that if it's meant to be, it's meant to be." For a young woman whose avowed virginity has been examined under the media microscope, Spears is surprisingly frank about Timberlake. "I've only slept with one person my whole life," she asserts-shattering the dirty dreams of Humbert Humberts everywhere and veering at long last from the oft-repeated soapbox talk about no *** before marriage. "It was two years into my relationship with Justin, and I thought he was the one." She pauses and her voice leaps an octave. "But I was wrong! I didn't think he was gonna go on Barbara Walters and sell me out."

It's hard not to believe Spears when she insists the press has embellished her wild side, if only because-these days, at least-she makes so little effort to hide her less demure behavior. "I was never hiding anything," she says, holding up her pink, rhinestone-paved Versace lighter to a cigarette and shrugging when asked why the tabloids made such a fuss recently over her smoking. "It was the people around me that were hiding me. The publicists would call me and they were like, 'Oh, my God. This was in the newspaper.' And I'm like, 'Cool.' I mean, what are you going to do? I think if I sat there and tried to hide it, it would look kind of stupid. Honestly, because I know I'm not supposed to do it, it makes me want to do it."

Indeed, she has a big chance right now to emulate her professed idol, Madonna, by redefining herself-sharpening the talent, tightening the image and reflecting the emotions of her grown-up fans. It was Madonna, after all, who said Spears had been a victim of the same snobbery with which she was greeted in the eighties-and if Madonna has had the last laugh, so can she. Spears clearly relishes another chance to defy her critics. "If the record's good-if it's hot and you see the video and we're working it, it's basically saying the F-you to everyone out there," she says. "And I think that's cool."

whole thing:

http://britney.clubs.nl/nieuws/detail/216782_the-w-magazine-feature-interviewarticle-with-britney-spears

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think she just became famous at the wrong time. Like I think of all the stuff she got ragged on (her virginity, her outfits, smoking, dating, etc.) that none of the pop girls have to deal with now. Ppl applaud girls like Rihanna and Miley who are badass and open about the bad things they do. No one is asking Taylor swift when she lost her virginity. Ppl poke fun of her dating so many guys but it hasn't hurt her career in anyway. Britney sleeping with one guy almost damaged her career. It's just funny how different things are today. It's almost like no one expects these girls today to be super perfect (and u almost get more respect for being honest about your flaws or whatever) but everyone expected Britney to be perfect at such an insanely young age.

4 minutes ago, DoSomething954 said:

I think she just became famous at the wrong time. Like I think of all the stuff she got ragged on (her virginity, her outfits, smoking, dating, etc.) that none of the pop girls have to deal with now. Ppl applaud girls like Rihanna and Miley who are badass and open about the bad things they do. No one is asking Taylor swift when she lost her virginity. Ppl poke fun of her dating so many guys but it hasn't hurt her career in anyway. Britney sleeping with one guy almost damaged her career. It's just funny how different things are today. It's almost like no one expects these girls today to be super perfect (and u almost get more respect for being honest about your flaws or whatever) but everyone expected Britney to be perfect at such an insanely young age.

all of the things thas she got **** for made her this famous. People wouldnt have reported as much about her VMA performances if they wouldnt have been shocking (at the time) people wouldnt have discussed her relationship with justin to the degree they did or talked about her super ****** videos and performances  if she hadnt told everyone that she wanted to stay a virgin.  So in the end it all workd in her favor.

16 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

all of the things thas she got **** for made her this famous. People wouldnt have reported as much about her VMA performances if they wouldnt have been shocking (at the time) people wouldnt have discussed her relationship with justin to the degree they did or talked about her super ****** videos and performances  if she hadnt told everyone that she wanted to stay a virgin.  So in the end it all workd in her favor.

I'm not doubting that some of those things helped add to her popularity, but she also got torn down in ways that just wouldn't happen today. And maybe she'd be more confident overall if she didn't have to deal with some of that stuff in the public eye. (I disagree about the Justin thing though. They were going to be talked about regardless, especially with him also being super successful in the group.) 

1 hour ago, DoSomething954 said:

This is the proof of how she paved the way for these ungrateful shitty basic singers, Madonna and Britney have probably been the most criticized pop singers for countless reasons. People weren't that open minded before and these women made things that now are seen as normal but back then they were scandalous. 

A school girl showing her tummy and trying to be ****? That was raunchy.

Nicky tacky Minaj and Rihanna twerking in soft **** music videos? Female empowerment.  I can't.  :byebitch:

22 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

This is the proof of how she paved the way for these ungrateful shitty basic singers, Madonna and Britney have probably been the most criticized pop singers for countless reasons. People weren't that open minded before and these women made things that now are seen as normal but back then they were scandalous. 

A school girl showing her tummy and trying to be ****? That was raunchy.

Nicky tacky Minaj and Rihanna twerking in soft **** music videos? Female empowerment.  I can't.  :byebitch:

Lol at the female empowerment. 

1 hour ago, Streets said:

I'm sorry but Britney today has kind of contradicted so many things she said in this interview :meltdown:

mte she is such a people pleaser nowadays and worries too much what they think... hence all the scrapped MV's that are "too ******". She has become this person who is "in the middle" and who she described as "boring" :crying4:

I am glad she has changed her view on her "duties" as a woman and her view on how relationships work. However, I miss how apathetic she used to be. It's weird that she used to be more rebellious back then, when she was much more popular, and nowadays she is much more censored, when her popularity has decreased big time. 

46 minutes ago, justkeepdoingit said:

people evolve over time and life experiences affect most. of course she's not the same she was at 21.

Duh. Never said or implied she shouldn't change or age or grow. That's not what I'm saying here. We all know what she's been through, and I personally don't blame her for slowing her career down to a pace she controls.. But this interview was a girl who had serious drive, and knew what it took to evolve to stay fresh. 

The quote I mostly refer to is "Madonna, over?".... and that was Britney's biggest fear, of people to think that of her. She "didn't want to be boring"... she wanted to be unapologetic with her career. 

Archived