Hey, I've been a fan from the very beginning, so I experienced the first hype around 1990 and the 2000s around Britney. At that time, many copycats were springing up. Especially here in Germany. So I would like to know from you whether there were also many copycats of Britney outside of the US, most of whom had their success because of her.

The first copycat I can remember is Juliette with "Unstoppable". Her whole style and the sound of the song are very reminiscent of Britney ... especially OIDIA.... Juliette wasn't very successful with it. I think it was because she couldn't dance very well and her voice was a bit too jazzy and classical.

The next one I remember is Jeanette Bidermann. She was called the German Britney Spears ... outrageous ... The video is also very reminiscent of OIDIA ... unfortunately she couldn't dance as well ... 

The following group is called  NO ANGELS. They were very successful here ... The first casting band in Germany. Here they copy the sound and the dance style ... especially the chair dance ...

Last but not least, Helene Fischer. She is the German superstar. In this video she steals a lot from Britney ... can you guess what?

Now I am curious about your copycats ...  ;

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I've heard of Juliette before, and No Angels, but they never took off in the UK!

In the UK, we had Billie Piper, but she technically released music before Britney did, but I do feel Day and Night may have been a deliberate attempt to copy her sound (it came out in 2000):

Then there was Ellie Campbell, she was also on Jive, but she flopped. I don't even think she got a top 40 hit, her album release might have got cancelled too but it's on Spotify now anyways. This is very Britney sounding:

And there's this really rare/obscure one from 2003 I discovered in the last year, I'm not sure if it even got released or charted here but apparently the video got a lot of airplay on the music video channels here. The song was also included on a CD given away with an issue with a teen magazine so that's something I guess, lol. I still find it surprising someone in the comments calls her "a mix of Christina Aguilera", she's definitely giving Britney more imo :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LordofTheMoodRing said:

Britneys definitely changed The Game. 
 She isn’t a copy cat. I think she has one of the best voices in pop. It’s for sure got Brits vibes. Her entire album 💿 Chefs Kiss 😘 

I love Stacie Orrico! She walked so Tori Kelly could run! Two amazingly talented artists! 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

In Spain we had Natalia. She was very successful and in 2002 was labelled as “la Britney española”, a name that she refused because she said her sound had nothing to do with Britney. Although she declared herself as a Britney fan and called her one of the queens of pop.

In her first album, the influences were from OIDIA-Britney:

The second album influenced by Britney:

The third and fourth by In The Zone/GHMP, especially by the unreleased Outrageous video. Loco por mi also samples the “hey” from the Ying Yang Twins:

Edited by UnbrokenExaholic
  • Love 2

In New Zealand we had K'Lee bop  https://youtu.be/DCLn1LsbCgY?si=g--oU4L1qwYmgMQF

Our Cousins to the north in Australia had  Leah Hayward who full on does  does the Britney voice its a bop 😂https://youtu.be/seODiGLHSR8?si=wYM2Y048in9kPUlM

Then there was Bec Cartright whose wearing britneys 2002 clothes in the video 😂 also if she ever  reenters Australia again she'll be arrested for tax avoidance 😂 https://youtu.be/L8VZdBKupgI?si=CMNbLEP6w9AurmFh

Then there's Nikki Webster with her Tween Oops I did it again vid... Bop https://youtu.be/pc0JXDiZQ5k?si=4p1nI89aVke-emsd

And in the states there was https://youtu.be/kIDWgqDBNXA?si=RcnB5-1a289z-uIC

Couldn't help doing the last one 😂

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Wow I feel like it's not just Britney these girls tried to copy, I see a lot of bsb and nsync (early Max Martin-ish songs), and one song I could just sing Come on over by Xtina along. It's like a whole mix of this and that, a bit from someone and a bit from someone else.

It's quite apparent that originality plays a huge roll regarding success in the industry, the ones that seemed to achieve some popularity did keep some of their own colors. 

Along with many others, Britney was indeed an influence to so many artists in so many ways, fashion, mv, music, and even singing techniques (vocal fry, the southern accent, baby voice etc), not to mention igniting career trends.

• Like 2

This is Kalimira from Greece. She was the winner of 'Fame Story' (the Greek version) '04. She said she loved Madonna but was toooo closely modeled to Britney not only on singing and dancing but also personality wise.

She sang 'Express Yourself' at the finals. And she won!

This is the video for the song 'Secret Cpmbination' which was Greece's entry to Eurovision '08.

While she was rehearsing the song, a journalist from the BBC called her 'the Greek Britney Spears'.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block