Youtube likes/views easily show how Britney's music has had far more staying power than Christina's.

Literally who cares. This is so embarrassing and stupid. Why do we always feel the need to prove Britney is bigger than Christina if she’s apparently so irrelevant? Everyone knows Britney is an icon and the bigger artist. I would expect her to have more views, etc, because she is legitimately one of the biggest selling artists of all time and the biggest selling female artist of her generation, with records that were held for almost 20 years.

Why put someone else down in the process? And before people start saying Britney agrees, I found Britney’s shade to  be unnecessary last year and so did a lot of people. Almost as unnecessary as all the crap Christina has said. Plus she apologized. Let this 20+ year old rivalry between fans go. 

Edited by rik
  • Love 3
  • Like 3

Same with Spotify listeners. Christina used to always have more listeners than Britney, but in the past couple of years or so Britney has blown her out of the water. 

Today for example:

Britney: #62 with 47,939,459

Christina: #154 with 30,562,342 

Before anyone mentions Christmas, Britney has ONE Christmas song. Christina has a Christmas ALBUM 

But yes both very talented people, but I’m glad the GP is still recognizing Britney is THAT *****

• Love 1

And Christina's most watched YouTube video (solo) is the Spanish hit Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti, with almost the double of views of the video that follows it, Candyman, and I'm sure if Ven Conmigo was uploaded to her channel since 2009, it would have an equal amount of views.

I've always said she could've become an icon in the Latin scene had she continued that path. She could've been the opposite of Shakira by making the inverse crossover, but she neglected the Latin audiences for decades. When she tried to revive her Spanish singing career with that album or EPs or whatever that was, it was too late.

I know that people in the US don't care, and probably shouldn't care about what happens outside their country, but I feel like you need to be on this side, aka, anywhere else besides the US to really appreciate the impact or the influence of a given artist. For example, American people may think that Taylor Swift has this huge, consistent career since late 00's or whatever, but I don't think she was really that known internationally until 2015-2016 or even later, I'm talking to that point that even older folks know who she is, even if they don't know or like her music.

Since the beginning, Britney's global presence was undeniable, but I'm not sure about Christina. She was very well known because of her Spanish album Mi Reflejo, but only here in Latin America; I ignore how popular Christina was in other places. But even here, her popularity decreased as years went by. Other than some select collabs, like with Pitbull or Maroon 5 or Alejandro Fernández, I'd say her last huge hit was Candyman, though Your Body got a lot of airplay on VH1, but that's just one tv channel.

I like Christina too, but to me it's not even a question to determine who's always been the most popular, and that of course is Britney. And even so, I think Britney is still very underappreciated. Videos like BOMT or Toxic should've hit 1B views years ago. But then you see other artist's videos, like Beyoncé's Crazy in Love or Single Ladies, and they still haven't hit that mark either, and you understand that it may be a generational thing as well, where all these 90's-00's artists and hits got outdone by the newer artists and hits that were released during the digital/streaming era. Yet in cases like Britney, her classics such as Oops, BOMT and Toxic eventually surpassed the newer songs that used to rule her channel's views, like WB, IWG or Womanizer.

• Love 2

It's hilarious people still judge Christina's live vocals versus many artists that lip sync on stage.

In addition people act as if Christina hasn't accomplished anything, nor hasn't been one of the best-selling in music the last 20 years she's definitely on that list.

We know Britney's sold more albums and is and Icon, but Christina is known as the voice, still winning awards, selling out shows and performing and looking hotter than ever.

Christina's bank account I'm sure is very happy as well.

christina aguilera GIF

• Love 3
  • Like 1
On 12/25/2023 at 10:27 AM, Dcarp999 said:

I regularly hear people claim "Britney may have been more successful in her prime, but Christina is more relevant today and her legacy has held up better."

Literally where???  

I've never heard that, and that's because it's not true. Britney is way more relevant than Christina today. Have you not seen the sales for The Woman In Me? Or the streaming numbers for My Only Wish (This Year)? Where do you live? 

To use youtube likes/views as a metric of success is kind of dumb though because artists don't make a lot of money from streaming services. Christina's numbers might not be as impressive as Britney's, but Christina made better choices with her life. She's worked a lot less, and she's a lot richer. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

And Christina's most watched YouTube video (solo) is the Spanish hit Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti, with almost the double of views of the video that follows it, Candyman, and I'm sure if Ven Conmigo was uploaded to her channel since 2009, it would have an equal amount of views.

I've always said she could've become an icon in the Latin scene had she continued that path. She could've been the opposite of Shakira by making the inverse crossover, but she neglected the Latin audiences for decades. When she tried to revive her Spanish singing career with that album or EPs or whatever that was, it was too late.

I know that people in the US don't care, and probably shouldn't care about what happens outside their country, but I feel like you need to be on this side, aka, anywhere else besides the US to really appreciate the impact or the influence of a given artist. For example, American people may think that Taylor Swift has this huge, consistent career since late 00's or whatever, but I don't think she was really that known internationally until 2015-2016 or even later, I'm talking to that point that even older folks know who she is, even if they don't know or like her music.

Since the beginning, Britney's global presence was undeniable, but I'm not sure about Christina. She was very well known because of her Spanish album Mi Reflejo, but only here in Latin America; I ignore how popular Christina was in other places. But even here, her popularity decreased as years went by. Other than some select collabs, like with Pitbull or Maroon 5 or Alejandro Fernández, I'd say her last huge hit was Candyman, though Your Body got a lot of airplay on VH1, but that's just one tv channel.

I like Christina too, but to me it's not even a question to determine who's always been the most popular, and that of course is Britney. And even so, I think Britney is still very underappreciated. Videos like BOMT or Toxic should've hit 1B views years ago. But then you see other artist's videos, like Beyoncé's Crazy in Love or Single Ladies, and they still haven't hit that mark either, and you understand that it may be a generational thing as well, where all these 90's-00's artists and hits got outdone by the newer artists and hits that were released during the digital/streaming era. Yet in cases like Britney, her classics such as Oops, BOMT and Toxic eventually surpassed the newer songs that used to rule her channel's views, like WB, IWG or Womanizer.

A lot of that has to do with VEVO coming to YouTube in 2009, like think about how many people could’ve surpassed a billion. By now, Britney should be well beyond a billion for Baby and Toxic if pre- VEVO views were counted.

VEVO was  honestly the worst thing that could’ve happened to YouTube, because clearly they stopped with VEVO. Like what was the point of that if they were going to do nothing with it? It’s so embarrassing actually. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, rik said:

A lot of that has to do with VEVO coming to YouTube in 2009, like think about how many people could’ve surpassed a billion. By now, Britney should be well beyond a billion for Baby and Toxic if pre- VEVO views were counted.

VEVO was  honestly the worst thing that could’ve happened to YouTube, because clearly they stopped with VEVO. Like what was the point of that if they were going to do nothing with it? It’s so embarrassing actually. 

but is not only that, I mean it did affect of course, but for example you have all these other legendary hits, from the 80s or 90s, like Girls Just Want to Have Fun, and that one does have over 1 billion views, despite being officially uploaded in 2009 too.

There's like this category of undeniable hits, that by the time VEVO was created, they were already considered hits universally, so they just gained massive views organically.

But the 00's hits, suffered from the fate that by 2009 they were still too recent to be considered classics by many, but too old/dated to be considered contemporary hits, so they just remained in this limbo for the longest time. 

As I said, for years it was the norm that Britney's newer hits were the ones with the most views. By 2013, I Wanna Go was still the most watched video on her channel, though it was later surpassed by WB if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention Scream & Shout but that's not on her channel.

It wasn't until around 2015 that with all those "Teens react" videos, songs like BOMT, Toxic and Oops were put on the map again, because by then they were starting to be considered classics, and soon overtook her channel (though they still don't hit the 1B mark).

Still, the fact that so many Britney videos have hit at least the 100M mark, though slowly, it means her music had more longevity than most of her contemporaries, and when you compare it to her "#1 hit" HIAM, which eventually stuck in views, you see which are her true hits as well.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block