A Discussion: Eminem's Fixation on Britney Spears

I'm fairly new to actually making topics, replies and posts here so bear with me. I just want to see other people's takes on it.

But I feel like this is pretty overlooked, so I decided to make it a topic. Anyone else notice the obsession Eminem had with Britney, especially in the early 2000s? It was lowkey creepy. I'm bringing this up right now because I recently found some old archived videos from 1999 in which he describes wanting to see her naked, wanting to be her underwear and thinking she's a cute girl. She was 17 at the time and he was 26. here is the interview

In 2000, he shows off a notebook with her face on it, has a freestyle in which he describes touching himself to her Just Rhyming With Proof (starts at 6:07) and that interview where he criticizes her outfit at the 2000 VMAs. Ironically, a month after that interview he admitted in a magazine that he had a crush on her.

In 2001, he makes a whole verse about wanting to do *it* with Britney. Mind you, she was only 19 and he was pushing 30.  He also says in a 2001 interview that he apparently tongue-kissed her.

He mentions in his infamous song Same Song and Dance during 2009 that he had a crush on her since she debuted as well. And we can't forget the songs in which he constantly either name-dropped, insulted or ***ualized Britney. I didn't even mention all of what he said about her either. His fans constantly sweep all of this under the rug or try to excuse it when it's brung up. I lowkey wanted a thread to be made about it on Twitter, but his stans would probably drag Britney and the entire Barmy there tbh. And I'm aware that Britney likes him, but that doesn't mean he's free from opinions or criticism. What do y'all think? Cuz I personally find it gross, and it's weird how he got away with it just because it's his "persona" to be like that, but it doesn't excuse his perverted/weird or creepy comments about her. 

britney spears 90s GIF

Edited by fairyforests
added a link
  • Like 2
On 11/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, fairyforests said:

I'm fairly new to actually making topics, replies and posts here so bear with me. I just want to see other people's takes on it.

But I feel like this is pretty overlooked, so I decided to make it a topic. Anyone else notice the obsession Eminem had with Britney, especially in the early 2000s? It was lowkey creepy. I'm bringing this up right now because I recently found some old archived videos from 1999 in which he describes wanting to see her naked, wanting to be her underwear and thinking she's a cute girl. She was 17 at the time and he was 26. here is the interview

In 2000, he shows off a notebook with her face on it, has a freestyle in which he describes touching himself to her Just Rhyming With Proof (starts at 6:07) and that interview where he criticizes her outfit at the 2000 VMAs. Ironically, a month after that interview he admitted in a magazine that he had a crush on her.

In 2001, he makes a whole verse about wanting to do *it* with Britney. Mind you, she was only 19 and he was pushing 30.  He also says in a 2001 interview that he apparently tongue-kissed her.

He mentions in his infamous song Same Song and Dance during 2009 that he had a crush on her since she debuted as well. And we can't forget the songs in which he constantly either name-dropped, insulted or ***ualized Britney. I didn't even mention all of what he said about her either. His fans constantly sweep all of this under the rug or try to excuse it when it's brung up. I lowkey wanted a thread to be made about it on Twitter, but his stans would probably drag Britney and the entire Barmy there tbh. And I'm aware that Britney likes him, but that doesn't mean he's free from opinions or criticism. What do y'all think? Cuz I personally find it gross, and it's weird how he got away with it just because it's his "persona" to be like that, but it doesn't excuse his perverted/weird or creepy comments about her. 

britney spears 90s GIF

oh yeah and he ALSO called her a ***** on multiple occasions including in that 2001 song. mans was crazy 😒

• Like 1

Yea this is a well known thing in the fandom  - he was obsessed with her. She’s in so many of his lyrics. 

He’s very open about his ****ed up feelings about women so at least there’s that. Someone mentioned above Mariah as another example… he took that too far as well, at least she clapped back with a Obsessed.

He’s an immensely talented but immensely deranged individual.

:oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

• Like 1

I mentioned this in the thread about the Scream and Shout remix. It wasn't just Eminem, a lot of men felt entitled to make disgusting ***ual remarks about her, but he got a pass for some reason. Even Britney herself said 'it's just his thing' when she was calling JT a ***** boy.

I think his obsession with her was multi-tiered.

1) His daughter loved Britney and he was jealous. Eminem's daughter would much rather go to a Britney concert that watch her dad yelling insane things on stage.

2) He was secxually attracted to Britney but didn't want to admit it.

3) He admired and envied Britney's femininity but being a straight man, felt limited expressing that femininity himself.

• Like 3

I never took him or his lyrics too seriously, and Britney clearly wasn’t that bothered by them since she recently praised him.

I will say the grossest thing he said/did in regards to Britney was when he criticized her for what she wore onstage. Talking about how he has a little girl who looks up to her and how she’s a bad role model. Like bro, you’re out here rapping about ********* your mom and gf, what gives you the right to call anyone else a bad role model? The audacity of that comment really proved he was actually a misogynistic hypocrite irl and not just in his musical image/persona. :clown_meme__makeup_green:

• Love 5
  • Like 2

I feel like Britney personified a lot of things that the media / Eminem picked on - 'popularity', trends, success, and lust. Britney was the 'blonde bombshell' - the ultimate Popular Girl and people who marketed themselves as 'Smart Losers' or underdogs marketed themselves against that, and against her, so Eminem and Avril Lavigne and even mainstream media outlets. It wasn't seen as 'smart' to like Britney. Which is dumb as **** as we know.

BUT I think it's interesting because Eminem and Britney both had similar backgrounds growing up. Poor from broken homes with complicated family relationships. They probably share a fair bit of childhood experiences in common and I think they have a soft spot for each other because they became famous in the same years. 

I love Eminem and I think he revered Britney and I take his lyrics as more teasing, and making fun of himself too when he rapped about her, as someone he could never get with because she is is gorgeous and 'popular' and 'untouchable' and he is a scrubby white trash rapper (all in good humour of course) lol 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Fay1981 said:

I always though it was very hypocrital of Britney to attack Christina and other celebrities of her time for being mean to her while she says great things about Eminem.

well, to be fair on Christina's part her "shading" went beyond the Stripped era contrary to popular belief. And ppl also forget that she praised Eminem WAY before that ig post, aswell. She also didn't rlly attack Christina, but I get your point. If I was in her position I would have dragged him to hell ngl

I also think that the difference was that unlike Eminem, her and Xtina had history together beyond their careers. She was a person she knew who suddenly turned on her mainly due to the media and jealousy + envy. That's how I see it tho

Edited by fairyforests
  • Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block