What was your reaction to Selena Gomez's new documentary?

JayTawndre

It’s unfortunate that she is dealing with mental health struggles, but I still don’t think she’s being totally honest with her diagnosis. If she’s having that level of psychosis and issues with relationships, she definitely has more going on than JUST bipolar disorder. She likely has a form of schizoaffective disorder mixed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD.) I have BPD and bipolar myself, so I know what it’s like. Celebrities don’t want the stigma of BPD following them, so they always opt to ONLY SAY “bipolar.”

By framing herself as “being honest” about her mental health struggles, she’s spreading more misinformation about bipolar disorder. Now every time there is someone experiencing voices in their head or delusions, the public labels them as “bipolar” which is completely incorrect. 

I’m also really tired of celebrities with TONS of adoring fans and TONS of money and TONS of access to ALL KINDS of resources making documentaries, asking the public to pity them. I have compassion fatigue for these celebrities. They have enough money to access to world class therapists and medications, yet they still need the public to pity them. 

I believe that Selena is a good person at her core and she has done A LOT with charities of all kinds, but I still think this whole documentary was a ploy to gain public sympathy. She has always been painted as the victim in the public eye and I’m tired at this point. 

1 hour ago, Loosenupthosebuttons said:

It’s unfortunate that she is dealing with mental health struggles, but I still don’t think she’s being totally honest with her diagnosis. If she’s having that level of psychosis and issues with relationships, she definitely has more going on than JUST bipolar disorder. She likely has a form of schizoaffective disorder mixed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD.) I have BPD and bipolar myself, so I know what it’s like. Celebrities don’t want the stigma of BPD following them, so they always opt to ONLY SAY “bipolar.”

By framing herself as “being honest” about her mental health struggles, she’s spreading more misinformation about bipolar disorder. Now every time there is someone experiencing voices in their head or delusions, the public labels them as “bipolar” which is completely incorrect. 

I’m also really tired of celebrities with TONS of adoring fans and TONS of money and TONS of access to ALL KINDS of resources making documentaries, asking the public to pity them. I have compassion fatigue for these celebrities. They have enough money to access to world class therapists and medications, yet they still need the public to pity them. 

I believe that Selena is a good person at her core and she has done A LOT with charities of all kinds, but I still think this whole documentary was a ploy to gain public sympathy. She has always been painted as the victim in the public eye and I’m tired at this point. 

Or she just like s-.uck attention from people :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block