Do you miss Nelly Furtado?

20 minutes ago, x.rox said:

Timbaland helped craft her sound for her entire Loose album and therefore, for that era too. She hasn’t been able to recreate the success she had with that era in her career. We hear about how certain producers or collaborators make a singer what they are more frequently today. Shania Twain is a great example of how she relied so heavily on her ex partner who helped craft her hits and sound that without him she just isn’t the same. Nelly is no different. Max Martin has done wonders for artists too who without his brilliance they can’t seem to catch a beat. I’d like to see Nelly hit it big again like a comeback. But something tells me she doesn’t care about that now. 

The thing is: She did NOT want to be that successful again! She didn't enjoy Loose that much because it was not her style and I remember reading somewhere she even got a depresion while on tour because she really didn't enjoy performing those songs! If she wanted to continue to be like that, she could...!

Also, let's not forget the fact that her hairstylist helped Britney in the 2007 VMA :)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LaLisaManoban said:

The thing is: She did NOT want to be that successful again! She didn't enjoy Loose that much because it was not her style and I remember reading somewhere she even got a depresion while on tour because she really didn't enjoy performing those songs! If she wanted to continue to be like that, she could...!

Also, let's not forget the fact that her hairstylist helped Britney in the 2007 VMA :)

Bwahahah the VMA connection made me giggle 🤭 

Now that you mention it, I remember reading that somewhere too. 

Even though she didn’t like Loose… it’s one of her best albums. It’s unfortunate she doesn’t appreciate that era more. I remember Promiscuous and Maneater were on the radio constantly. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, x.rox said:

Even though she didn’t like Loose… it’s one of her best albums. It’s unfortunate she doesn’t appreciate that era more. I remember Promiscuous and Maneater were on the radio constantly. 

It's a solid album! Maneater is a great pop song

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, x.rox said:

I expect she's warmed up to it over time the way other celebrities do with work that is very different from who they are like Miley and Hannah Montana. 'Loose' was surprising for me because she had a baby sometime around the second album, and she said then that she was glad she already did the 'belly-baring thing.' Then 'Loose,' the ***iest era of her career happened. 

For me she is one of the most talented song writers out there. Her music always sounds fresh and even after years it still grows on me. With Loose everyone expected her to come up with a Loose 2.0 album. But that’s not her style. She always reinvents herself and that’s what I like most about her. You never know what to expect. 
I would love to see her live one day. I hope she will be touring again. 
Another reason things have become so quiet around her is because she’s a mother of 3 now. I think she did the thing with keeping everything private 

• Love 1

Nelly's big problem was selling out and doing something that wasn't authentic which was her image and a lot of tracks from Loose era.

She then decided she didn't like that image and sound and tried to go back to who she actually was. However the label wanted the success of Loose again which is why we ended up with total shyt like Big Hoops and Parking Lot. At that point a lot of people checked out and missed actual great tracks like Spirit Indestructible and Waiting For The Night.

It was a weird and great era where a lot of female artists were putting out actual great albums with balance.

Nelly's Loose.

Gwen's Love Angel Music Baby.

Fergie's The Dutchess.

All albums that had your traditional radio hits, but also had songs that were way more authentically them.

Nelly with All Good Things Come To An End and In God's Hands

Gwen's The Real Thing and Danger Zone

Fergie's Here I Come and Losing My Ground

The problem with the authentic songs is that it's hard to maintain that success. You really need the production tracks for successful albums and because these girls wanted to focus on being "artists" and write. They either took way too long between albums or in Gwen's case rushed albums like The Sweet Escape, where what she was writing about wasn't relatable or was just boring.

It's hard to find a balance I guess. Which is why Demi's albums are always horrible.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block