Why is Hold It Against Me Forgotten, I Don’t even think Jamie Lynn Performed a R*mix to It at that Disney Award Show where Britney and her two kids gagged a bit

rik

48 minutes ago, etherealcat said:

that beat though jeez :whiteladydance_scarlett_dancing_happy_johansson: the song is one of my favourites from her conservatorship era but it's a shame that she doesn't have that spark that she used to have in her vocals and her videos. :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

It’s honestly such a great pop song from the conservatorship sessions 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Emil87 said:

It’s not bad but for a lead single it was a bit underwhelming. I don’t think Britney likes it that much either as she hasn’t performed it in over 10 years. That breakdown slaps tho. 

I mostly just didn’t like how it was such a high energy dance beat and then it would come to a complete hault for an extended period of time with the bridge. S&S worked far better in that respect. And it least it had a chant to keep people going, even when it slowed down. There was just too much contrast. 

• Like 1

Girl you was in 8th grade when it came out?  When hold it against me was released, I had just graduated high school and when I played it to my friend, he took it as meaning I was g.ay and never talked to me again lol. However he turned out to be trash and I turned out to be a winner. Britney is the only constant in my life where I feel… idk the words. Just I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished, and she’s the soundtrack that I’ve listened to while I’ve done my best. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

• Love 4
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, Kletus said:

Girl you was in 8th grade when it came out?  When hold it against me was released, I had just graduated high school and when I played it to my friend, he took it as meaning I was g.ay and never talked to me again lol. However he turned out to be trash and I turned out to be a winner. Britney is the only constant in my life where I feel… idk the words. Just I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished, and she’s the soundtrack that I’ve listened to while I’ve done my best. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

I——— omg ur “friend” sucks!! Yes I’m so certain that Britney’s lyrics are always so thematic and a large soundtrack to our lives 

For the same reason Britney Jean is a forgettable album. She wasn’t committed to these albums during the conservatorship. And it comes out in the sound and vocals; her energy. When Britney released her 20 minute audio on YouTube and I heard her talk about how with Glory she found her confidence again, IT SO MAKES SENSE, because Glory she sounds AMAZING. It’s astounding how our personal energies impact our art and performance. Femme Fatale has some decent bops but they’re all sort of the same sounding robotic forced stiff pop songs that were input and transactionally withdrawn from a pop song machine for mass consumption and to appease the GP and hit radio stations. There’s no passion behind Femme F and it’s lead single HIAM. And I believe that’s why HIAM is so forgettable. 

• Love 2

Hold It Against Me deserves more love, to me it is one of her best videos despite the lack of dancing and rumored body double. The video has a lot fo meaning, the rise and fall and rise again, her inner fights, her lip syncs, the interpretation of her perfect image and when it exploded in a mess of colors, and a tribute to her past works. I mean it has a lot of sense and meaning everywhere.

The song itself is a risky move as she explored deeper into dub step and I love risk takers like her they usually become successful and a game changer.

Possibly the life in the song is missing and that she had not performed it since Femme Fatale that is why it was kind of forgotten.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:56 PM, Joshyworld said:

I was obsessed with HIAM for years but I find myself coming back to it less and less. In retrospect, I don’t like how she sings the chorus. Too nasally and the harmonies are all over the place. I actually think a more husky vocalist like Bonnie McKee, Katy Perry or Kesha would have done this song more justice. In general, I feel like Dr. Luke’s productions were more-so meant for the voices of people like Katy and Kesha rather than Britney’s soft, sultry, and seductive tone which suits more slick productions.

The demo for HIAM is everything however. 

:shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

The song, according to the album liner, has background vocals by Bonnie McKee and Myah Marie, so there's some Bonnie in the track.

The nasal resonance (common in K-pop) in the chorus is partly from Myah Marie:

Compare w/ Brit's tone:

I also remember where I was when I first heard it! My local radio station did a big countdown, I remember staying up late to hear it. I was IMMEDIATELY obsessed :yesplease_yas_agree_preach: It was like nothing I had heard before, and it didn't sound like anything else on the radio at the time :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: I actually think that's why it's "forgotten" - it kicked off the dubstep trend and got drowned out by a million copycats :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block