This Day in Pop: Taylor Swift releases 'Folklore' album in 2020

On a day like today but two years ago, Taylor Swift released her eighth studio album, 'Folklore'.

folklore - Album by Taylor Swift | Spotify

Taylor Swift took the music scene by storm as she surprisingly announced the release of her eighth body of work just hours prior to it being available and in the middle of a global pandemic. 

Departing from the friendly and upbeat pop sound in her last three albums and from a big and calculated rollout, Folklore incorporates indie-pop, alternative rock, and chamber pop in its production. Lyrically, themes like escapism, romance, and nostalgia are interwoven with a deeper range in her voice. Furthermore, the lives of fictional characters were part of the inspiration, instead of solely taking her personal experiences as the fuel for the well-known storytelling of her records.

The album met universal acclaim, sold a whopping 846,000 units in the first week, and went on to win Album of the Year at the Grammys. 

'Folklore' made Taylor gain renewed respect, and while not all listeners might vibe with its relaxed nature, it certainly established a milestone in her prolific career.

I will now proceed to a track-by-track discussion. Personally, the album has a lot of meaning for me, and man, I've never been as excited as I was counting down the hours to dive in. :taylor_swift_evil_smile:

The 1: After the very lackluster opening track in 'Lover', Taylor redeems herself. "I'm doing good, I'm on some new shiet, been saying yes instead of no"... what a way to open an epic album.

Cardigan: I've always had issues with the way Taylor chooses singles, especially lead ones. However, she aced it with this beautiful song. The melody and the production are haunting and her voice sounds so sweet. The music video was so accomplished for the COVID restrictions that were to be followed at the time. The song is part of the love triangle where Betty, James, and Augustine are tangled.

The Last Great American Dynasty: This song is about Rebekah Harkness, whose house Taylor bought. While the storytelling is pretty, I don't go back to it as often.

Exile (feat. Bon Iver): the best song of the album is placed on track #4. The way Justin's and Taylor's voices melt is like butter. A tearjerker that has accompanied me ever since. :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

My Tears Ricochet: I've always been on the fence about the way Taylor writes about her feuds and detractors (I can't stand 'Mean', 'Bad Blood' and hate that I bop to LWYMMD). Nevertheless, this is worthy track 5 in which you can feel the pain and the sentiment. I don't have legal situations with any record label, but the way this song resonates with me is scary. :tiffsniffle_ny_miss_new_york_crying_sobbing_sad_tears:

Mirrorball: Major Sherly Crow vibes. I love how honest Taylor talks about herself in this song. One of my early favorites, :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Seven: There is something in her vocal take that made me skip it at times. Once I paid close attention to the lyrics, though, I transcended and never came back. Queer vibes, anyone? :taylor_swift_evil_smile:

August: A MOTHER.F.U.CK.ING masterpiece. Yet again, the way the song resonates with me and the significance that August the month has in my life is just mind-blowing. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: The song is part of the love triangle where Betty, James, and Augustine are tangled.

This Is Me Trying: Probably the biggest example of Taylor's relatability found in this album. The way this song makes me stop and ponder, I...

Illicit Affairs: An underrated gem in an acclaimed project. I guess you truly have to have the experience to actually get it :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

Invisible String: a very pretty song about Taylor's relationship with Joe Alwyn. 

Mad Woman: And this is what Taylor tried to do with 'The Man' but she couldn't. Cursing Taylor makes an entrance :imhere_run_excited:

Epiphany: ok, nice lyrics but it drags on.

Betty: And country Taylor makes a triumphant return. The story told here is funny and entertaining. The song is part of the love triangle where Betty, James, and Augustine are tangled.

Peace: I love the lyrics, but there's something in the melody that keeps me from coming back to it. 'You All Over Me' from Fearless - Taylor's version has the same intro almost:tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

Hoax: I really need to be in a mood to listen to this song. 

The Lakes: This song is poetry... and that's both good and bad. There are so many great and solemn lines, yet I can be overwhelmed by them at times. Hope she had gotten rid of the 'Tweet' lyric :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

What do you think, Exhale?

Is this her best project?

Is Evermore better than Folklore?

Do you want pop Taylor back?

Do you have a case of lack of taste?

Discuss!

• Love 3

Cannot believe it's been two years! The way NO ONE was expecting this at all from Taylor.

I wasn't sure about the album at first but it really grew on me the more I listened to it. I do prefer Evermore but Folklore is still such a high quality album with some of Taylor's best-written songs. The tracklisting is cohesive and flows really well. It's the perfect album for autumn.

The 1, Exile, My Tears Ricochet, August and Betty is my top 5.

• Love 1
  • Super Mods

I'll probably be crucified for this but:

I dont really like this album and the album that came after that.

Folk music isnt really my thing and I prefer Country or Pop music.

NOT saying I completely dislike it cause I do like August and Betty.

Those are the only songs I have on my spotify playlist.

I hope she makes another 1989 or Fearless cause those albums were great!

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Isla said:

Cannot believe it's been two years! The way NO ONE was expecting this at all from Taylor.

I wasn't sure about the album at first but it really grew on me the more I listened to it. I do prefer Evermore but Folklore is still such a high quality album with some of Taylor's best-written songs. The tracklisting is cohesive and flows really well. It's the perfect album for autumn.

The 1, Exile, My Tears Ricochet, August and Betty is my top 5.

Yesssss, fall is the perfect time for a good Folklore listen

20 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

I'll probably be crucified for this but:

I dont really like this album and the album that came after that.

Folk music isnt really my thing and I prefer Country or Pop music.

NOT saying I completely dislike it cause I do like August and Betty.

Those are the only songs I have on my spotify playlist.

I hope she makes another 1989 or Fearless cause those albums were great!

I wouldn't do anything bad to you :mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

while I adore Folklore and Evermore I do want pop Taylor back

• Love 1
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Arianna said:

Folklore might be my favorite Taylor album. Superior to its sister Evermore, I can listen without any skips.

My favorite is Reputation, I like Evermore a little more than Folklore, but I do think Folklore is her best album... dunno if I make sense :miley_cyrus_stare_meme:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block