Has anyone in recent memory had as messy a debut as Jesy Nelson?

3 minutes ago, gapeach704 said:

Sorry, this is off topic, but I recently had a thought. It’s bizarre that out of all of the 5H girls, only Camila has released albums. I really wish someone would investigate this because something tells me it’s something in their contracts forbidding them from releasing albums for like x amount of years or something. This is just so bizarre. And we know the legal team and management for 5H was also Britney’s same team I think. So, take that as you will. But everyone involved behind the scenes seemingly seems to have put them aside for Camila. In my opinion

:otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad:

Ooh I've actually tracked their careers pretty closely. I'll explain it in a bit here, don't have the time to type it all out atm! 

• Love 2

She's been in the studio lots for the new album, she's been working with Drake's producers, Tayla Parx ('Thank u, next', '7 Ring's' and Little Mix's 'Sweet Melody'). She's currently in LA right now recording/writing.

I agree it has been a messy roll out but a Top 5 peak is great and has done much better than the last four LM singles.

I'm really hoping she can turn things around. I'm very excited for new music, I personally enjoyed BOYZ. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByDemand said:

With her debut that should have been an easy win, Jesy Nelson (of Little Mix fame) managed to...

• Alienate the LM fanbase by using LM for drama + controversy, bullying her prior bandmate after having released a documentary herself about her difficult experiences with it
  • Release a single lacking any creative flare, over-sampling 
  • Release a video that copied that same song and barely added anything to it
  • Collaborate with an artist currently in the news for defending her s**-offender husband and using her platform to silence a r*** victim
  • Fail to take accountability for blatant cultural appropriation and doubled down on it
  • Have an awkward debut performance which was only really talked about for memes

Jesy did not cause the controversy, it's funny how her look was suddenly an issue when she left the group.

Also what i'd say is BULLYING a bandmate is what Leigh-Anne did messaging influencers to make negative videos about Jesy whilst Jesy was nothing but positive about her former bandmates. Also why would Jesy defend a former friend who is telling influencers to post **** about her?

In regards to the BOYZ video the whole purpose was to re-create Diddy's video, Jesy literally said it was a modern recreation.

I agree, it was messy to collaborate with Nicki but they have been friends for ages and Jesy is a massive fan. However, MANY artists have worked with Nicki despite her controversy. Britney was literally bigging up Nicki not long ago on instagram too. So let's not be hypocrites.

Jesy supported the BLM movement when it was happening and was on podcasts spreading awareness. Jesy has since apologised and has been supporting small black businesses on her social media and her outfit at the Jingle Bell Ball red carpet was from a small black business.

If ANY other artist did the performance Jesy did at the JBB they would have been applauded. It is just twitter trolls trying to attack her. Also if you watch the other performances the crowd was loudest during Jesy's performance.

In regards to the song itself, that is subjective. Some people hate it, some love it - Jesy said before it even came out you'll either hate it or love.

I'm not here for her to relentlessly trolled.

33 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Also what i'd say is BULLYING a bandmate is what Leigh-Anne did messaging influencers to make negative videos about Jesy whilst Jesy was nothing but positive about her former bandmates. Also why would Jesy defend a former friend who is telling influencers to post **** about her?

Honey, those dms were proven to be fake. They were written like damn fan fiction and the LM girls have done nothing but hold their silence and be respectful throughout all this. Here's a twitter thread about it that I just searched for now, but it was well covered when it happened.

In regards to the BOYZ video the whole purpose was to re-create Diddy's video, Jesy literally said it was a modern recreation.

Well yes, obviously. My point is that I don't feel, objectively, it was a smart idea to take such direct inspiration from someone else's song and video for a debut. There's nothing wrong with doing a modern recreation and being inspired, it's the context that wasn't good. A debut is your moment to show the world who you are, and this didn't accomplish that. 

I'm not here for her to relentlessly trolled.

Neither am I, I said in my OP that I'm hoping her next single delivers. I didn't even say the song was bad! My point was just to point out how many unfortunate factors overlapped in her debut. People even brought up great examples so far of artists who didn't nail it on their first single but later had a breakthrough. This isn't trolling whatsoever though, that's unfair to say and I hope you don't choose to steer this thread into that territory. 

38 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I agree, it was messy to collaborate with Nicki but they have been friends for ages and Jesy is a massive fan. However, MANY artists have worked with Nicki despite her controversy. Britney was literally bigging up Nicki not long ago on instagram too. So let's not be hypocrites.

Jesy supported the BLM movement when it was happening and was on podcasts spreading awareness. Jesy has since apologised and has been supporting small black businesses on her social media and her outfit at the Jingle Bell Ball red carpet was from a small black business.

If ANY other artist did the performance Jesy did at the JBB they would have been applauded. It is just twitter trolls trying to attack her. Also if you watch the other performances the crowd was loudest during Jesy's performance.

As for your other points...

• Again, her choice to collaborate with someone currently negative in the media hurt the single's chance at success and all I was saying. 
  • Thank you for providing that further context on her BLM support, I wasn't aware of her continued support. Unfortunately, regardless public perception of that wasn't there at the time of her debut. Hopefully she continues to make the right choices there.
  • As for the performance, that's your opinion. As a big fan of her past performances, I was disappointed by it. 
49 minutes ago, Slayer said:

She's been in the studio lots for the new album, she's been working with Drake's producers, Tayla Parx ('Thank u, next', '7 Ring's' and Little Mix's 'Sweet Melody'). She's currently in LA right now recording/writing.

And lastly (sorry for the triple post haha) ooooh that's a good sign! Nice to hear. Hopefully she'll write that break-out track.

32 minutes ago, ByDemand said:

Honey, those dms were proven to be fake. They were written like damn fan fiction and the LM girls have done nothing but hold their silence and be respectful throughout all this. Here's a twitter thread about it that I just searched for now, but it was well covered when it happened.

It was proven real. There’s literally multiple screen recordings of the person going live literally showing it! I’ll find the evidence and edit.

Btw I have no issue with your other comments as you responded maturely.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Slayer said:

It was proven real. There’s literally multiple screen recordings of the person going live literally showing it! I’ll find the evidence and edit.

Btw I have no issue with your other comments as you responded maturely.

Aw damn if it's real I'm pretty disappointed. Lmao sorry for "Honey"-ing you, my one exception to trying to reign in the sass. I will say, people have taken the trolling too far in many ways, so I can understand why you'd be strong on the defense in a convo like this. 

16 minutes ago, ByDemand said:

Aw damn if it's real I'm pretty disappointed. Lmao sorry for "Honey"-ing you, my one exception to trying to reign in the sass. I will say, people have taken the trolling too far in many ways, so I can understand why you'd be strong on the defense in a convo like this. 

No worries! Yeah they really have taken trolling too far with her, I see people on twitter tell her to 'kill herself properly this time'.

Jesy just posted photos of her working with Tayla Parx. Veryyyyy excited for new music!

• Love 1

Hmm Iggy I guess? Although even she managed to get a huge US #1 hit, a big #2 hit, and a smaller Top 5 hit before totally collapsing in on herself. :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao: 

Oh and while not necessarily messy, I remember Dev having a ton of hype surrounding her first album a decade ago, only to fizzle out within a single era which was unfortunate.

• Super Mods

I didn’t pay much attention to the roll out of her solo career but it seems she hasn’t been received well. I listened to Boyz on release week and wasn’t the biggest fan, although the song has grown on me.

Never got into Little Mix’s music, so I’m interested to see what Jesy does!

10 hours ago, gapeach704 said:

Whew. It’s happening….and I’m scared 

real housewives GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Omg this gif. :orangu_orangutan_ape: Sheree is one of my favorite Housewives! :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand: She is so delusional but has the best one liners and throws top tier shade! :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

• Love 1

Well her debut roll out was messy, she can't get away with the cultural appropriation things, as an American our beauty standards are much different than Europe, so of course we would go there.

Plus she had several bookings then she got covid, and when she did perform at graham Norton and a few other places stan Twitter definitely dragged her.

So I can't blame her for hiding, social media allowed people to truly hate. 

Even if she or anybody was to report, when it comes to certain people, you get told nothing happened. 

Because she's a celebrity that's usually the case they let the treatment slide..

Several people have posted that Twitter or Facebook won't do anything about bullying Jesy, because she's a public figure..

Bottom line when she takes time off it's usually cos they won't do anything to protect her .

Which was something she couldn't do as a member of little mix, was take a social media break. 

On 1/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, MikeHunt said:

She got a lot of slack for lipsynching her debut performance and for being photographed what looked like her trying to get with Leigh Anne's ex. It was just a mess. I really loved Jesy in LM. She was so funny. So I was rooting for her solo debut. She has a very unique vocal tone and can belt the big notes. She can dance really well and is gorgeous. She has the X factor. I think she will recover.

As far as any other artist, I mean if they did fumble their debut, they probably aren't even known now haha. As far as coming from a successful group, honestly I can't think of one. I just know some who had tried but never made it (Nick Carter, JC Chasez, Mel B*, Victoria Beckham, most of 5th Harmony...im sure theres more)

I think this is a prime example of her needing direction... She's marketed this as "the music she's always wanted to make" and her performances are actually just so messy and cringe... Sometimes a label having more say is actually a good thing. 

She needs to drop the "im a bad *****" persona and actually deliver something that is going to stick... I haven't seen anything so messy and cringe in a long time than her jingle bell ball performance - the pauses, the tongue, the audience silence, the screaming and her looking like Trisha Paytas. 

My personal opinion is that she belonged in a group and she worked so well in LM... But let's see what she brings next..... 

On 1/28/2022 at 10:26 AM, MikeHunt said:

Slayer will come for heads! :ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

On 1/28/2022 at 10:45 AM, Trust Britney said:

@Slayer quick, ban everyone here and close this thread ASAP.

Now why do you guys have to provoke him? He knows I don’t agree with how he approaches certain things, but it doesn’t help when y’all tag him in threads trying to instigate him. I am 100% sure he sees these threads without y’all having to bring him in here :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

2 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Now why do you guys have to provoke him? He knows I don’t agree with how he approaches certain things, but it doesn’t help when y’all tag him in threads trying to instigate him. I am 100% sure he sees these threads without y’all having to bring him in here :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

Ok i didn't "tag" him, I mentioned his username without him getting a notification. And i didn't insert you in anything, so why are you inserting me in this narrative. Others had mentioned Slayer too, why not quote them? :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.