Has anyone in recent memory had as messy a debut as Jesy Nelson?

On 1/28/2022 at 1:51 PM, Stefani said:

Hmm Iggy I guess? Although even she managed to get a huge US #1 hit, a big #2 hit, and a smaller Top 5 hit before totally collapsing in on herself. :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao: 

Oh and while not necessarily messy, I remember Dev having a ton of hype surrounding her first album a decade ago, only to fizzle out within a single era which was unfortunate.

Awwww Dev!! That’s an artist I haven’t thought about it forever! Need to go and stream. 

6 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Now why do you guys have to provoke him? He knows I don’t agree with how he approaches certain things, but it doesn’t help when y’all tag him in threads trying to instigate him. I am 100% sure he sees these threads without y’all having to bring him in here :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

Stop being dramatic and a kiss-åss. It's was a joke. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Now why do you guys have to provoke him? He knows I don’t agree with how he approaches certain things, but it doesn’t help when y’all tag him in threads trying to instigate him. I am 100% sure he sees these threads without y’all having to bring him in here :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

I know you were talking about what people did in the replies and not my post, but I did want to say that I think Slayer came in here with grace and I enjoyed the back and forth with them. I was afraid of it erupting into a **** storm from the tags and such lol and almost regretted making the thread <3 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByDemand said:

I know you were talking about what people did in the replies and not my post, but I did want to say that I think Slayer came in here with grace and I enjoyed the back and forth with them. I was afraid of it erupting into a **** storm from the tags and such lol and almost regretted making the thread <3 

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised. Sorry you had those initial thoughts, but you wrote the thread very tastefully so great work!

• Love 1

Wow I actually enjoyed reading the first two pages (then I got lazy) of this thread, there were some mature exchanges, which were appreciated as well as informative, which is why I come here. BUT it kinda irks me how I'm seeing so many comments all over the internet about hardworking women either absolutely killing it or definitely bombing. I don't think life works that way. Each one of us has hits and misses, and we should learn from both and go on, meaning: Don't discard an artist just because they didn't explode to the stratosphere, those are exceptions and barely happen. If any artist is really passionate about what they do, and they are talented, then they'll be successful. Maybe se should talk about that, passion and talent (or lack of them), instead of numbers and achievements.

I think Jessy is talented and passionate but she has lots of personal issues to solve before exposing herself as an artist, especially at a global scale, and that's why it isn't quite working so far.

• Love 1
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

Wow I actually enjoyed reading the first two pages (then I got lazy) of this thread, there were some mature exchanges, which were appreciated as well as informative, which is why I come here. BUT it kinda irks me how I'm seeing so many comments all over the internet about hardworking women either absolutely killing it or definitely bombing. I don't think life works that way. Each one of us has hits and misses, and we should learn from both and go on, meaning: Don't discard an artist just because they didn't explode to the stratosphere, those are exceptions and barely happen. If any artist is really passionate about what they do, and they are talented, then they'll be successful. Maybe se should talk about that, passion and talent (or lack of them), instead of numbers and achievements.

In regard to that last sentiment I couldn't help but to think of this Addison girl. Not sure if that was to defend her or "accomplishments" cuz shes doing stuff to be notable. I think the distaste you sense when it may come to ppl's opinion like her is the fact that she gained popularity off of someone else's work and was being pushed as if she was the creator of a trend in regards to tik tok and not only that, she did the trend wrong lol. But she gets the deal, she gets the budget she gets the producer and songwriter to give us a visual and song (who no one even likes) and it's like why does ppl think she deserves our support when there was no real integrity, work ethic, artist development etc like the artists we truly adore and have worked hard/ working hard. Just my opinion when it comes to overtly dismissing...."artists" 

Camila Cabello!!! Does anyone remember that Crying In the Club was her first solo single??

It was originally intended to be the lead single from Cabello's debut studio album, which was originally titled The Hurting. The Healing. The Loving. We all know how it ended:

- Havana (which was initially released as a promo single) replaced Crying in the Club as the lead single from her debut album due to its rising success.

The Hurting. The Healing. The Loving. was scrapped, and she released Camila instead.

- The song reached number three in Bulgaria, as well as the top forty in eleven additional countries. 

What a mess of a debut...

8 hours ago, UnbrokenExaholic said:

Camila Cabello!!! Does anyone remember that Crying In the Club was her first solo single??

It was originally intended to be the lead single from Cabello's debut studio album, which was originally titled The Hurting. The Healing. The Loving. We all know how it ended:

- Havana (which was initially released as a promo single) replaced Crying in the Club as the lead single from her debut album due to its rising success.

The Hurting. The Healing. The Loving. was scrapped, and she released Camila instead.

- The song reached number three in Bulgaria, as well as the top forty in eleven additional countries. 

What a mess of a debut...

The song still slaps and she still has a couple of the most streamed songs ever :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

22 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I think Jessy is talented and passionate but she has lots of personal issues to solve before exposing herself as an artist, especially at a global scale, and that's why it isn't quite working so far.

I absolutely agree and was careful in the OP to not label her as "doomed" or "over" for this reason. I think there's actually a lot to learn from a poor debut, whether the reasons are in or out of the artist's hands. Camilla was brought up earlier in this thread and again on this page as a great example– her initial "safer" releases didn't go anywhere, then the single that she pushed for was the one that broke through and set the tone for her career. It's great to see!

Hell, as much as I love brit's iconic singles, her album tracks are where a lot of her real self shines through.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block