New Clip from Once Upon More Time

1 hour ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

This looks absolutely horrific, a cashgrab to bank on Jukebox musical trends started by Mamma Mia, The Cher Show etc.

The set looks cheap, the costuming looks like a knock off of costuming done for SIX!, there's no clear aesthetic. The renditions are lacking as is the choreography.

This been approved really proves that Britney's legacy was used as a cheap cash grab, regardless of quality.

To be clear, this isn’t a Broadway musical yet, it’s in DC and is performing a run In hopes of going to Broadway. No Broadway show begins with full set dressing/props and Broadway level costume design. Those tweaks and budget specific upgrades happen if the show makes it to Broadway, where improvements are made before it’s professional run begins. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, (You Drive Chris) Crazy said:

To be clear, this isn’t a Broadway musical yet, it’s in DC and is performing a run In hopes of going to Broadway. No Broadway show begins with full set dressing/props and Broadway level costume design. Those tweaks and budget specific upgrades happen if the show makes it to Broadway, where improvements are made before it’s professional run begins. 

I saw someone shared clips during the show and the musical numbers are dreadful. Frankly, they've had two years of a pandemic to up their game, on top of the amount of time they had for preproduction.

This is bad.

8 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

This looks absolutely horrific, a cashgrab to bank on Jukebox musical trends started by Mamma Mia, The Cher Show etc.

The set looks cheap, the costuming looks like a knock off of costuming done for SIX!, there's no clear aesthetic. The renditions are lacking as is the choreography.

This been approved really proves that Britney's legacy was used as a cheap cash grab, regardless of quality.

...translation: Britney will love it, and she'll attend their final performance in two years time.

:tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

• Love 1

Here’s a review of the current show…

https://dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2021/12/19/once-upon-a-one-more-time-is-wacky-but-it-works/

I rarely post but I felt the need to chime in… Sorry to say, but a lot of you just happen to fill many certain stereotypes…

First off, this is just a curtain call, where performers take their bows. It is highly choreographed for a a curtain call, which is usually just people walking out and taking their bows. Here is a snippet I found of a review from someone who actually saw the show…

“I will also say that I LOVED the curtain call. I haven't seen a show with a highly choreographed curtain call in AGES so I had a ton of fun watching the bows. I didn't even realize that I missed choreographed curtain calls until I saw this.”

Next, this is called an OOTT (Out of town tryout). It’s where you perform the show in front of an audience for the first time and see what works. You see what jokes land, what songs work, etc.  Also, it has an out of town tryout budget. So if and when it transfers to the great white way (Broadway), the show will be revised based on audience reaction/feedback and the budget could be increased to allow for more intricate set/costumes.

Lastly, stop being so damn judgmental. We live in a world so full of hate, and you guys just perpetuate this notion.  Also, educate yourself on a topic before you needlessly chime in and knock everything. 

The show is selling very well and has great word of mouth… “Artistic director Simon Godwin (Shakespeare Theatre Company) says "Once Upon a One More Time is on track to become the top-selling show in the company’s 35-year history."

Am I saying it’s the greatest piece of theater every contrived for the stage?…No, I am not. Will it last many years on broadway if it even makes the transfer?…who knows. All I’m saying is educate yourself, do a little research, and get off your high horses. Not everything needs your sassy sarcastic input on a topic you know nothing about.

P.S. I have in no way shape or form, any ties or stakes to the show. I don’t perform or have money invested in the show. Just a fan of theater.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

• Love 1
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Blackout2007 said:

lol it’s called a curtain call

jukebox musicals are for locals. There’s no art in this. It’s only produced to fill seats and make money. Might as well go to McDonalds the musical.

They can be done well if correctly adapt. I mean Moulin Rouge is outrageous but it works, The Cher Show was incredible.

This is a bad show fullstop.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block