I went to college and have a bachelors in graphic design, but after having 2 jobs in the field I realized it’s not for me. Currently working at a electronics shop, it’s alright but nowhere near what I want to be doing. My whole life I wanted to be a musician, and only recently started applying myself to it. It’s so hard to get anywhere near that industry and I wish I would have started earlier or went to school for it. 
But to answer your question, I got my current job through a referral by a store manager who I worked with at an old coffee shop job. I also like to think my personality and skills got me the job, but also I’ve learned there’s SO many people looking for work, that a huge majority of the time connections and nepotism win. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Doja Kitten said:

Wow the efficiency. I wish all employers are like that. I lost a great opportunity because the employers were too slow. I didn’t get a response after the second round of interviews and took another job. They texted me the same day I started with the other job that I applied :ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

That sounds super unprofessional of them sis :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:

Do you like the job you're currently at? I am not gonna lie I'm still weighing my options because I'm not feeling the vibes there :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

1 hour ago, JayTawndre said:

That sounds super unprofessional of them sis :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:

Do you like the job you're currently at? I am not gonna lie I'm still weighing my options because I'm not feeling the vibes there :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

I don’t like the fact that I have to work six days a week. It feels very exploitative. But tbh I don’t have too many options at this time. But I’ll keep looking! :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jadedkitten said:

This is what’s happening to me I did 2 interviews and they promised to contact me in a week and nada 😑 so I’m looking at other places hopefully I get something soon. 

Happened to me so many times. I didn’t hear back from Starbucks now I got a job that pays twice as much. :comingthru_miss_ny_new_york_pollard_tiffany_walk_runway_hair:
Just try to apply as many positions as possible. I’m sure you’ll be able to land a job very soon. :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas:

• Love 1

I am an Architect and I dedicate myself to it full time. I'm also a visual editor and in my spare time I used to make videos, but I don't do them anymore, at least for now. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

The way I got to work in the current construction/architecture studio was because a colleague from the university recommended me. I used to upload my designs and projects to Instagram/Linkedin and luckily my partner remembered me and called me on the phone, and well, I have been working there for 2 years now. :imcute_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_paris_french_smile_grin_happy:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jadedkitten said:

This is what’s happening to me I did 2 interviews and they promised to contact me in a week and nada 😑 so I’m looking at other places hopefully I get something soon. 

No matter the industry and the type of job you want - this is a numbers game. Don't just apply for one job and then wait around. The funny thing is that employers think you've only applied for their job and then muck around, so never put all your eggs in one basket.

6 hours ago, Jadedkitten said:

Y’all guess who has a job interview tomorrow, for a salaried position at a school  :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup:  Pray for me. Any tips beyond lying for the interview 

Good luck! I don’t know if the website has this for schools, but check Glassdoor.com to see reviews from other people who’ve interviewed there on what interview questions they were asked, and then prepare for those questions.

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Super Mods

Congratulations on your new job, @Jadedkitten! I’m sure your employer is lucky to have you on board!

In response to your OP, I was laid off due to COVID-19 at the end of October 2020, and have had such a difficult time finding a new position. I’ve sent out several applications and got first and second interviews, but no commitments. I feel like such a failure and have been struggling with depression (not necessarily just because of the job search, but it doesn’t make it any easier). :katycry_perry_crying_tears_sad_sobbing: It also is complicated by other life factors that are zapping my energy and attention… idk I’m kind of a hot mess right now. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

As for my previous job, I had interned at the organization for a few months and they ended up liking me, so they hired me a month after my internship ended. I gained a lot of experience in non-profit programming, communications, development, administration, and gallery work over the 2.5 years I was there.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block