I don't buy it

well this is how it works, now they fight for her.. then when she's at the top or whatever else, they'll tear her down.. it's part of the cycle, but the media has changed and become a lot more sympathetic to issues due to life and the hardships that people seem to have endured over the years and people are taking mental health more serious and realizing EVERYONE can be affected and have problems and issues here and there. We are human, nothing is perfect.. 

Scenarios flip quickly. Britney herself spoke out and she's a WOMAN whos being treated as a prisoner so this is a massive deal in our social construction. No media outlet in its right head will question anything. Plus, it is more profitable to side with her now than be against her. We're all just very used to the 2007 era media where they just want  a woman to slip so they could tear her down and ********* bully her till she's officially a loser. That is LONG gone. 

MJ's reputation was flipping like a light switch back in the day , one day he's a pe** and the next literally everyone would defend him and play his music. 

On the other side you are right though. It be some form or way for pop culture to revive again and become a hot topic . Then boom all money on her when she puts out an album, documentary and book. It's all hollywood and it's all business. Britney would bring nothing to hollywood if she wanted to be a mum and be at home which maybe lead hollywood handlers put her in a C-ship. But all in all , our girl have had it from the abuse. 

28 minutes ago, Hot.As.Ice. said:

Shes been a media darling since 2010. 

This. And now the general public finally love her again too and don’t think she’s crazy. I really don’t think she’ll get torn down again after this. Society has changed a lot. Britney never did anything cruel or offensive. She is the sweetest person ever. The only way media/public turn on people at this point is if they do something mean or offensive to spark the cancel culture movement or get wayyyyy too political. Britney isn’t going to do either of those things IMO so I think the media and GP will treat her better from now on.

13 hours ago, Ghoulia said:

She became incredibly famous in a short period of time - it felt like overnight she was absolutely everywhere in the media.  And remember, her rise to fame preceded social media, so in a way, media outlets in general were much more limited than what we know today - there are so many more choices now in terms of accessing news/current events.  My parents, who were not interested in pop culture in the least bit, became curious about her after seeing the Pepsi commercials on network TV. Take away Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for a moment.  We got our news from TV, newspapers/magazines, and the internet, but the internet wasn't nearly as interactive as we see it now.  However, the internet made it easier for tabloids to quickly spread paparazzi footage of celebs' everyday lives.  From 1998-2004ish, Britney's life was being broadcast to many people who weren't interested, which made it extremely easy for them to point out her flaws.  She was on every magazine cover, which was a big deal because magazines were actually everywhere.  So it was hard to avoid hearing about her or seeing her.  The internet made it easier for tabloids to quickly spread paparazzi footage of celebs' everyday lives. The media's critical obsession with her was fueled by  as the mean headlines were more profitable than the nice ones.  She was an easy target because she was so beautiful and charismatic - it seemed like she had a charmed life, so an outsider will look for flaws or weak spots. 

To those of us who are able to reflect on a time twenty years ago, we are nostalgic for the incredible star power of young Britney.  It's easy to see NOW that the media's obsession with her was extremely detrimental to her physical and emotional well-being.  At the time, it was just what was on TV at that moment - another Britney headline.  Her exploits were tabloid fodder, which made it easy to laugh at her misfortune and downfall. My parents have been following the Free Britney movement because they remember her as a pop star who made the regular news, and her headlines became more and more tragic as the years went on.  Sorry for the essay, I just have been feeling super emotional about this whole thing and your question/statement, "I don't buy it" is an absolutely legitimate assumption to draw.  Britney was trashed in popular media.  A lot of it was schadenfreude.  But schadenfreude doesn't cover actual human suffering of an innocent person, so the media has seemingly changed its tune. 

LOVE this post, the FreeBritney coverage is a fraction of the media coverage has gotten throughout her career. My grandma was the one who told me she was divorcing Kevin! Everyone knew who she was & she was even on “normal” news programs like CNN & ABC. I remember thinking there was a smear campaign against Brit when they showed her strapped on the gurney during the 5150 during the ******* local 10pm news. Britney’s power is limitless, the Free Britney coverage has been amazing but there’s been alot of bull**** rumors just like every other era of her life. No matter what happens July 14th it’s safe to say it’ll gain even more traction & coverage!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

LOVE this post, the FreeBritney coverage is a fraction of the media coverage has gotten throughout her career. My grandma was the one who told me she was divorcing Kevin! Everyone knew who she was & she was even on “normal” news programs like CNN & ABC. I remember thinking there was a smear campaign against Brit when they showed her strapped on the gurney during the 5150 during the ******* local 10pm news. Britney’s power is limitless, the Free Britney coverage has been amazing but there’s been alot of bull**** rumors just like every other era of her life. No matter what happens July 14th it’s safe to say it’ll gain even more traction & coverage!

Awww my granny followed Brit’s marriage & divorce too!! 

• Love 1