Ronan Farrow and Jia Tolentino In Newyorker Radio Hour Podcast! Listen!

Britney Spears has been one of the world’s most prominent pop stars since her début, in the late nineteen-nineties. But, since 2008, she’s been under a court-ordered conservatorship—a form of legal guardianship—which has restricted nearly all aspects of her life. Details about the arrangement have been kept out of public view, all while Spears has continued to turn out records and perform lucrative shows, earning millions of dollars for those around her. But the pop star is now directly confronting the people and structures that have ruled her life for the past decade. In recent court testimony, Spears openly detailed her experience under the conservatorship for the first time. She demanded her liberty and expressed her anger, profound sadness, and frustration. She even alleged that her conservatorship, which is led by her father, prevented her from getting an IUD removed from her body, which the family denies. The staff writers Ronan Farrow and Jia Tolentino have investigated how Spears wound up in this situation, in the article “Britney Spears’s Conservatorship Nightmare.” They speak with David Remnick about Spears’s life under relentless public scrutiny, her cultural significance, and the t***** legal problems posed by conservatorships. “Conservatorships essentially deem someone incapacitated,” Tolentino says. “And from that point, because they do remove your rights by necessity, they sort of foreclose the possibility of proving or gaining capacity to anyone under it.”

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, hyoga said:

I loved what Jia Tolentino said about Britney's strong character and will to sustain 13 years of torture and still be strong and fascinating. 

They definitely see her differently, they see the real, humble and strong 💪🏻 warrior that Britney is! ❤️

• Love 4

This is the type of people Britney needs right now. They were passionate about their work to uncover more from Britney's story and sustained such respect towards her that its insane. The only other reporters that showed her this type of love were Samantha and Liz (Framing Britney Spears). I hope  Erin Lee Carr follows the same path and makes a stellar job with the suposed Netflix documentary. And also, wouldnt be too much to ask that she and Andrew Gallery reconect when this is over? I though he was just a filmaker/photographer, but according to their article they were FRIENDS that risked not seeing each other ever again in order to try to change the situation.  

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Hungry Hun said:

This is the type of people Britney needs right now. They were passionate about their work to uncover more from Britney's story and sustained such respect towards her that its insane. The only other reporters that showed her this type of love were Samantha and Liz (Framing Britney Spears). I hope  Erin Lee Carr follows the same path and makes a stellar job with the suposed Netflix documentary. And also, wouldnt be too much to ask that she and Andrew Gallery reconect when this is over? I though he was just a filmaker/photographer, but according to their article they were FRIENDS that risked not seeing each other ever again in order to try to change the situation.  

Totally agree with this. I do think there was something there, definitely friendship at least. I do hope they re-connect in the future ❤️ I also wondered about the Erin Lee Carr docu, especially that there has been more uncovered / revealed? Wonder if it changed the direction, what’s included, how close to present day events will it catch up to? 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Z-dawg said:

Totally agree with this. I do think there was something there, definitely friendship at least. I do hope they re-connect in the future ❤️ I also wondered about the Erin Lee Carr docu, especially that there has been more uncovered / revealed? Wonder if it changed the direction, what’s included, how close to present day events will it catch up to? 

Honestly I would like to be in a mini series format. There's too much to cover and Netflix has unlimited resourcers to produce the best docu they ever made. Plus its a hot topic, whatever they decide to do its going to be a success for sure.  

• Love 1
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, Hungry Hun said:

Honestly I would like to be in a mini series format. There's too much to cover and Netflix has unlimited resourcers to produce the best docu they ever made. Plus its a hot topic, whatever they decide to do its going to be a success for sure.  

I think it’s definitely a topic that is giving people the feels. Even my wife was like, I had NO idea it was this bad! Yes a mini series format (kind of like Making a Murderer) would work best. It would get people talking and each week more and more tune in, in horror no doubt. I want to see Britney fully vindicated! 90% of the population thinks of Britney how Team Con had her portrayed in the last 13 years! She deserves to be known as the humble, kind hearted, amazing human that she is! 

• Love 2