The Ellen DeGeneres Show loses more than a million viewers upon return

1 hour ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

You know, I miss the Rosie O'Donnell show. 

Funny story: When Rosie had her talk show, it filmed in NYC and her guests stayed at the Parker Meridian hotel. Back in 1999 I stayed at that hotel back when my grandpa got remarried. And you know who was a guest on her show during the time that I stayed at that hotel?

BRITNEY SPEARS!!!!! 

Sadly, I never did see her.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, JessicaS89 said:

Funny story: When Rosie had her talk show, it filmed in NYC and her guests stayed at the Parker Meridian hotel. Back in 1999 I stayed at that hotel back when my grandpa got remarried. And you know who was a guest on her show during the time that I stayed at that hotel?

BRITNEY SPEARS!!!!! 

Sadly, I never did see her.

See, I bet that doesn’t happen on Ellen.

15 hours ago, maki93 said:

a snowflake generation happened...

Calling it a snowflake generation is the problem.

First of all people from our generation are watching her shows, not the teenager. So its us or our parents who halted the viewership.

And apart from that, you're basically saying "well that's how things work". Well it shouldn't.  Either you accept it or you do something about it. So these people did. And Kudos to them coz nobody likes a toxic boss.

And apart from she's getting cancelled because she used to say "be kind" while a whole different personality was hiding behind the curtains.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Charrrmed89 said:

These reports acting like she's the only show whose ratings fell. Hardly doubt it's because of toxic workspace controversy. There is a toxic work place where ever you go. 

Plus Nobody wants to watch a talk show with no audience, even big award shows are down large by ratings. 

Clearly you didn't read the article:mariahstare_carey_annoyed_um_irritated:

The show’s loss of more than a million viewers translates to a 43 percent decline, representing a steeper drop than any of its competitors. This TV season, “Ellen,” the winner of dozens of Emmys since its start in 2003, is no longer in the same league as traditional rivals like “Dr. Phil” (2.5 million) and “Live: With Kelly and Ryan” (2.7 million). Now it finds itself uncomfortably close to shows hosted by Maury Povich (1.4 million), Kelly Clarkson (1.3 million), Rachael Ray (1.2 million), Tamron Hall (1.1 million) and Jerry Springer’s former security guard Steve Wilkos (1.1 million)

The loss of viewers includes a 38 percent decline in her core audience, adult women under 54, according to Nielsen.

Even with the complications affecting all talk shows during the pandemic, “Ellen,” with its loss of 43 percent of its audience, has suffered a steeper decline than its rivals. “Dr. Phil” is down 22 percent, and “The Kelly Clarkson” show has lost 26 percent of its viewers. Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest’s show has lost just 3 percent, and “Tamron Hall” is down 9 percent.

5 hours ago, Marcanthony said:

Calling it a snowflake generation is the problem.

First of all people from our generation are watching her shows, not the teenager. So its us or our parents who halted the viewership.

And apart from that, you're basically saying "well that's how things work". Well it shouldn't.  Either you accept it or you do something about it. So these people did. And Kudos to them coz nobody likes a toxic boss.

And apart from she's getting cancelled because she used to say "be kind" while a whole different personality was hiding behind the curtains.

When something is wrong, you have to come out and do something about it! And I applaud them for that. I was replying to the fact that people also forget the good that Ellen did, especially to the LGBTQ community and representation. 

At the end of the day, there is forgiveness and moving on.  Ellen should address the problem, treat her people better, and make up for what went wrong 100%. But this whole cancel thing is just wrong. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Britney'sBish said:

So basically what you're saying is you came here to say whatever little thoughts you had in your head, and expected people not to respond?

source.gif

You know what’s cool? That Jan is my actual name :embarrassed_britney_2007_red_hide_ashamed_cover:

It’s a Czech name but we pronounce it as Yun. 

Have a great day and be kind :) 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Marcanthony said:

Clearly you didn't read the article:mariahstare_carey_annoyed_um_irritated:

The show’s loss of more than a million viewers translates to a 43 percent decline, representing a steeper drop than any of its competitors. This TV season, “Ellen,” the winner of dozens of Emmys since its start in 2003, is no longer in the same league as traditional rivals like “Dr. Phil” (2.5 million) and “Live: With Kelly and Ryan” (2.7 million). Now it finds itself uncomfortably close to shows hosted by Maury Povich (1.4 million), Kelly Clarkson (1.3 million), Rachael Ray (1.2 million), Tamron Hall (1.1 million) and Jerry Springer’s former security guard Steve Wilkos (1.1 million)

The loss of viewers includes a 38 percent decline in her core audience, adult women under 54, according to Nielsen.

Even with the complications affecting all talk shows during the pandemic, “Ellen,” with its loss of 43 percent of its audience, has suffered a steeper decline than its rivals. “Dr. Phil” is down 22 percent, and “The Kelly Clarkson” show has lost 26 percent of its viewers. Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest’s show has lost just 3 percent, and “Tamron Hall” is down 9 percent.

The article is trying to correlate the "scandal" (which it wasn't) to real ratings. Yet no one seems to talk about how ALL talk shows (including late night, especially) are all down significantly. 

During the pandemic people realized that these shows are a product of their time (80s,90s, early 2000s) and are not funny in this day and age. Once they started doing their shows and opening monologues from home (with no audience) we saw that these shows are lame and boring, which they are.

I genuinely stopped watching all of the talk shows, not because of some nonsense scandal that only existed on twitter, but because its pointless. They are old media that is going to go away very soon, so tbh the decline is actually a normal thing that would have happened whether she had the controversy or not.

Millennials and Gen Z do not watch these shows. The shows only barley held on to relevance because of their YouTube clips, but even those are stale and boring now.

I have nothing against these hosts, but talk shows are an old fad. Who wants to watch rich people interview other rich people over zoom? No one.

Joe Rogan (the most watched podcast in the world, beating all talk shows) and other podcasts have replaced these forms of old media.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block