Magician Uri Geller gives the Pokémon Company permission to make Kadabra cards again, after 20 years old dispute

kadabra.jpg.1ba8f615c9b9aa7361f81323aa688d01.jpg

So for any Pokémon fan out there, this is really huge news. TWENTY years ago, Uri Geller sued the Nintendo over the fact that the Psychic-Type Pokémon Kadabra, whose Japanese name is Yungerer (ユンゲラー, Yungerā) and holds a spoon on its right hand, was an unauthorized appropriation of his identity (Uri Geller claims to bend spoons with his mind).

He complained that the star on the Pokémon's forehead was reminiscent of the Waffen-SS and thus they had "turned him into an evil, occult Pokémon character". The fact that the Team Rocket set of the Trading Card Game released a card named "Dark Kadabra" didn't help the matter.

DarkKadabraTeamRocket39.jpg

(Every Pokémon from this set has the prefix Dark because they're supposed to be corrupted versions of the normal Pokémon)

So Kadabra, who's related to its pre-evolution Abra, and evolution Alakazam, has still been part of the videogames, spin-off and even the anime (with very low appearances over the years) but he has been completely absent from the Pokémon Trading Card Game, literally, since 2000. In 2008, Masamitsu Hidaka, director of the Pokémon anime claimed in an interview that the reason why they hadn't made any Kadabra cards again was due to the lack of an agreement between the two parties.

pjimage-64-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=5

Today, 20 years later, it has been reported by The Gamer that Uri Geller has finally reached out to Nintendo representatives to give them permission to make Kadabra cards again. He explained he was overwhelmed by the huge amounts of emails he kept receiving from fans to remove the ban. He also tweeted his apologies:

Hopefully we'll see Kadabra again in the future sets of the Trading Card Game, justice has finally been served :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

064Kadabra.png

• Love 6
9 hours ago, IUSM said:

WTF, first time I hear about. So one fake magician claimed his identity has been used for Kadabra? :juggingu_britney_hat_meme_neyde:

Well he wasn't wrong; Kadabra's spoon bending aesthetic is Uri Geller's trademark trick, and Kadabra's Japanese name is spelled similarly to Uri Geller's name in katakana. Also iirc he claimed that the lightning bolt marks on Kadabra's abdomen were Nazi-esque and didn't want to be associated with a Pokemon that might be viewed as anti-semitic.  Then of course there's the star on Kadabra's head that could be considered a pentagram, which opened up a whole other can of worms.

10 hours ago, IUSM said:

WTF, first time I hear about. So one fake magician claimed his identity has been used for Kadabra? :juggingu_britney_hat_meme_neyde:

I hope he did not receive a single cent. I hate copyright trolls. :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

I actually have the French card, so maybe it's actually quite collector now. :gelis_britney_candies_flirting_sexy:

Kadabra - carte Pokémon 32/102 Set de Base

I used to think Kadabra cards would be super expensive, but apparently they aren't. If you're not Charizard you're not important in the world of Pokémon cards :juggingu_britney_hat_meme_neyde:

It would have to be in super mint condition, and have no printing errors, and be perfectly centered, like, basically rated 10 by a professional rater, and still wouldn't be highly valued, just because it's a common card of a common Pokémon.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block