Scooter Braun sold Taylor Swift's masters, Taylor responds

I think the artist should always have first dibs on their masters if they are willing to pay the fair market price. Say her label was worth $300 million, but would only sell for $10 million without her masters...it is completely reasonable to expect her to pay $290 million if she wants them.

While I think the requests Scooter's team made were unreasonable, I do think I would have wanted something signed that said she wouldn't discuss the situation publicly until after the sale (whether to her or another interested buyer), since doing so would affect their value. Tbh, I'm surprised they even tried to reach out to her, knowing she could immediately hurt their value if she reignited the issue in the media before they could finalize a deal with an alternate buyer.

• Like 1

Also, I'd like to know more about the topic of masters. There seem to be several contradictions I don't quite understand. 

She still has a say in how her music is used commercially, but she can also be denied the ability to perform the songs live? If she can be stopped from performing them live, how is re-recording them even allowed? Does re-recording them suddenly make it possible for her perform them again? That doesn't make much sense. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block