Scooter Braun sold Taylor Swift's masters, Taylor responds

According to Wikipedia...

In June 2019, talent manager Scooter Braun acquired Big Machine Records, Swift's former record label, and the masters for her first six studio albums. Swift disdained the transaction, stating she had been trying to buy the masters for years, and described Braun as an "incessant, manipulative bully".

So, it sounds like he bought her former label which in turn means he owned those masters. Most artists don't own their masters, right? Like Britney prob doesn't own hers... Her label prob does. It sounds like this transaction was legit though bc he bought that label and she got upset bc she wanted to own the masters herself. It doesn't seem as personal as people make it sound (if this is accurate). He would own lots of artists masters too right?

I found this article too which is really interesting:

https://www.bigmachinelabelgroup.com/news/so-its-time-some-truth

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

:omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

Em-uH-vXIAYiNPG?format=jpg&name=large

Em-uH-wW4AEQ-Tr?format=jpg&name=large

I’m not the biggest fan of her music but I love how she’s handling this thing. Keeping her fans in the loop, not leaving them hanging, letting them know she’s okay and she can deal, showing her exact position on the matter. 
Good for her, putting her wants and needs ahead of what could be a lucrative deal for the sake of some royalties :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Update: Taylor Swift responds!

Em-uH-vXIAYiNPG?format=jpg&name=large

Em-uH-wW4AEQ-Tr?format=jpg&name=large

Earlier:

Hits Daily Double put out a blind item that clearly alludes to Scooter Braun and Taylor Swift.

Braun famously bought Swift's catalog out from under her for $300 million. In light of that, Swift declared she's re-recording all of her previous albums - she's officially eligible to re-record them as of this month. Read more about that here.

Well, it looks like Scooter knows he's about to lose out on a lot of millions, so he's rumored to be selling. Thing is, it's highly doubtful anyone's going to want to purchase it considering how much terrible press Scooter got, and the fact that she's re-recording everything.

Here is the not-so blind item:

She really won, didn't she. :peasants_taylor_swift_walking_away_bye_goodbye: 

Thoughts, Exhale?

Related:

taylor-sco.jpg.d13a4fcc039e0ae23c3caae73471befb.jpg

Cry baby. Those masters did not belong to her in the first place. It belonged to her record label that invested their money in her and made her a star.

• Like 2

Talking about masters, Taylor is a master at the use of discourse... She's very straightforward yet respectful, concise but clear, and leaves no stone unturned. And I love that about her. But at the same time, that's kind of scary too... Because she can be (slightly but surely) manipulative as well. I think her being so assertive and open with her fans is unusual among most artists, and a sign of closeness and respect towards her fans, but at the same time she's also pretty much controlling this huge fan base by letting you all know about her personal/business issues, describing the characters and telling you who to love and who to hate, how things will or should end ("this will diminish the value of my old masters" > really? maybe the economic value from less streaming or sales, but not necessarily symbolic or emotional), and even how you should feel about it (with "feelings of guilt for benefiting Scooter").
Once again, I think she's smart and she's exercising her rights and that's amazing, but there's a very thin line between being powerful and manipulative, and I think many times she's right on the verge.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, limezd said:

Cry baby. Those masters did not belong to her in the first place. It belonged to her record label that invested their money in her and made her a star.

Absolutely true in the sense that those were really the terms of the contract (of most contracts, actually), but that doesn't mean it's right, especially when there's such a difference in power between her as a female teenage artist just starting out in the business, and them as a huge powerful record label. That's one thing that you should definitely mention. And another thing is that Taylor should have been given, out of respect and decency and good morals, the possibility of buying her own masters (she was willing to pay for them) in a FAIR WAY. But she is a powerful woman now, so they couldn't force or disguise an unfair deal like they did before when she was an unknown 14 year-old. And record labels are companies which work in the ARTS (they are not banks or retail stores) yet they can't seem to understand, or they simply choose not to out of greed, how important it is for an artist to own their own creative work.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

SHE'S A BEAST. 

honestly, Taylor Swift inspires me on every level. As someone who struggles with my own creativity and getting my thoughts out, I  value the moments that I  come up with something that makes me feel proud. I   can't imagine what it would feel like to know your diaries, written into song, are no longer yours but being passed from company to company. I  respect the hell out of Taylor for sticking to her guns and re-recording those creative memories, instead of fighting endlessly with an opportunist, and un-creative idiot like Scooter Braun. 

GET IT TAYLOR.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

He bought big machine for 300 million.

But sells her catalog for 300 million 

Something tells me he bought it because of her, and sold her master's for the same price he bought the label for, cos he knows without his biggest recording master's catalog making any money..

He has to approve (seek permission) to use her music in movies and TVs cos as a songwriter she has final say. 

She kept saying no. 

God love that girl. 

Just because he owned the masters. She owed the publishing as a Songwriter. So she still stuck it to him. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

According to Wikipedia...

In June 2019, talent manager Scooter Braun acquired Big Machine Records, Swift's former record label, and the masters for her first six studio albums. Swift disdained the transaction, stating she had been trying to buy the masters for years, and described Braun as an "incessant, manipulative bully".

So, it sounds like he bought her former label which in turn means he owned those masters. Most artists don't own their masters, right? Like Britney prob doesn't own hers... Her label prob does. It sounds like this transaction was legit though bc he bought that label and she got upset bc she wanted to own the masters herself. It doesn't seem as personal as people make it sound (if this is accurate). He would own lots of artists masters too right?

I found this article too which is really interesting:

https://www.bigmachinelabelgroup.com/news/so-its-time-some-truth

but why wouldn't he sell the masters back to her?

and why would he forbid the other company to contact Taylor before the second transaction (and why did the second company end up buying the masters anyway besides not being able to reach out to Taylor :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay: ? )

24 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

You do know nobody knew Big Machine until Taylor Swift 

It was this little independent label, that took off cos of this girl. 

I think she took off because of them. And because they worked hard on their own company, she became even larger. So without them there would not be her. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Thanks to a deal she signed when she was 14. Why defend him? He's now dragged another entity into this, while robbing their money.

She didn’t sign anything at 14. Her parents probably signed for her. I’m sure they were much older then 14. Plus she probably had a lawyer read it anyways. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

but why wouldn't he sell the masters back to her?

and why would he forbid the other company to contact Taylor before the second transaction (and why did the second company end up buying the masters anyway besides not being able to reach out to Taylor :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay: ? )

He offered to negotiate with her but she didn’t wanna have any of it. Read the letter she posted. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

are her fans letting her original music go just like that? even the videos?

Like, imagine if Britney was like, I'm re-recording all my songs, forget about everything you've been listening for the past 20 years. :sobbing_unbelievable_wow_head_shake_no_crying_sobbing_sad:

omg I can barely stand crazy Britney fanatics prohibiting others from streaming or buying her music, imagine if she ever said anything like that, I would might as well become a Beyoncé fan.

• Haha 4
20 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

But the second company DID reach out to her... And she outed them! :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

Backstabbing from all sides at its best.

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block