Harry Styles' Vogue photoshoot criticized by conservatives for not being manly enough

• Leader

Harry Styles' gender-bending photoshoot for Vogue is getting some criticism from conservatives who feel as if the pictures are challenging what it means to be a man.

Notice when I first posted the photos, I didn't focus on the point that Harry was photographed wearing a dress. Instead, I said he was shirtless - I did that because I wanted to normalize it in some way (though I guess I was still low-key objectifying him by pointing out he was shirtless).

It shouldn't be so shocking at this point to see a guy wearing a dress. Are we really going to degrade someone for breaking boundaries when it comes to gender norms? 

Thoughts, Exhale? Does Harry's photoshoot anger you or question what you perceive as manliness? 

Topic credharry-dress.jpg.96e2ce10a4d0f5d0fa98e4b8ff817d2c.jpg

Related:

It was also criticized by liberals for queerbaiting, and I saw some wokelings saying that people are only praising him for this because he's white and privileged. Pick a struggle, I guess... :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated: Anyway, I struggle to care about any of this. No one's forcing you to be feminine, and no one's forcing you to be gay. There's still an endless amount of manly men to go round. I refuse to be something I'm not just to please some annoying boomers with sticks up their azzes. :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh: I'm not here to please society or societal expectations. I'm here to live my truth and be happy - something these people will never get to experience because they have so much hate boiling inside of them. NEXT!!! :trash_throw_away_recycle:

• Love 3
  • Like 2

He looks bad in these photos and these clothes look bad on him but like it's sooo pathetic to bully a guy only because he wears ******* material that is longer than ''it supposes to be for a man'' lmao like WTF? People are so stupid, I hate people like that. Wear whatever the **** u want, it's a different topic if you look good in this or not, whatever, people shouldn't care about stupid things like that - if they do it means they have really low IQ and that is proved by science 

• Love 2

Also, I love how simple-minded these people are - they clearly define masculinity by muscle and the way a man presents himself. But what good is any of that when the person behind that image of masculinity is garbage? How about we define people by their attitude and actions instead? How about we define people by whether they're a good person or not? Oh wait, these people wouldn't get that because they're too busy looking down on others and thinking that they're 'better-than' based on trivial surface-level characteristics instead. It's literally middle school bully mentality. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw: Masculinity and femininity are real, but I refuse to define them as strictly male or strictly female respectively (for example, I think of courage, loyalty, assertiveness as masculine, but I don't think only men should have these traits). There's strength and beauty in both, so why not combine them? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Love 1

He can wear whatever he wants. There is a broader discussion in conservativism about gender norms. Many believe that the illiberal far left pushes ideas like toxic masculinity along with dangerous gender ideologies to children, “believe all women” and the like which in their eyes harms men. Many women on the right also agree with this. I think they have legitimate concerns and are not bigots. However the debate in the media is going to center around Harry’s ugly dress, because people love a straw man to simplify the issues :mariahstare_carey_annoyed_um_irritated:

And Jordan dear you weren’t normalizing men in dresses, you were burying the lede :akii_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao:

• Like 1

I am not angry at the photoshoot, but in general, I like to find purpose and reason behind whatever we do.  Even in art. This DOES seem like a forced attempt, "oh lets throw a dress on" for what? Is a man actually gonna go buy the dress and wear it? And beyond that, why now, why are we pushing so hard with all these men wearing clothes 'generally' directed to woman. I would ear a skirt, a nice black, more masculine cut skirt. Yes, I am using the word masculine and feminine. I personally  don't wanna see Harry in address, that's not ****, at all. Rockstars of the 80's were very out there and flamboyant, and ***ualy fluid and open, but there was still a masculine element to it. I dont like its seems forced. Its not even shocking, like something Britney would do for shock value. Its vogue so I guess, its more "fashion editorial" but when I open a magazine for men, like a GQ I want to see male models wearing mens clothes. Sorry people. I guess I am little traditional. I am ll for same gender toilets, and same gender anything, but I guess personally, I want to keep some things old school :) 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Brat said:

The photo shoot is confusing and it’s true,  I don’t see the context behind it.  He doesn’t look bad but I mean,  it’s just a guy in a dress.  Lol at her saying it’s demonic,  has she not seen an episode of RuPaul? :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

That's what demonic looks like? Where can i sign to sell my soul? :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle: But apparently by their rules i've done that already. :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block